Date: 17-06-24  Time: 14:26 pm

Author Topic: Gearbox whine  (Read 1112 times)

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
Gearbox whine
« on: 25 February 2013, 12:54:23 am »
Just got my crashed project bike rolling again today. I didn't own it before it was crashed, so I don't know what's normal. Anyway it seems to have quite a noticeable gearbox whine. Is this normal?

When I pull the clutch in when rolling it seems to go away, so pretty sure it's the gearbox. I had a 2002 R1 and that had quite a whiny gearbox.

So does this sound normal for an FZS600?
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Gearbox whine
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2013, 06:12:03 am »
They do a little bit, I think this was brought up before but can't remember where, you can even notice it from a dead stop leave the bike running and pull the clutch in and out in neutral you can hear it, can't be sure what yours is though? My engine that was got for my bike before I bought it was crashed aswel, what you will never know is how long bike was on its side before engine was killed, u just don't know what parts wer starved of oil and for how long,

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2013, 06:51:11 am »

It is a normal characteristic of the bike, which i couldn't get used to at all, and it immediately prompted me to get an after market end can to drown out the sound.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2013, 09:15:21 am »
Thanks guys, sounds like the gearbox then. Must be a Yamaha thing!

You're right I don't know how long it was running on its side. Taken a bit of a gamble, but motor does seem to run sweet. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.  :\
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html