• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Lids
« on: 21 February 2013, 08:18:22 pm »
Hi all,
I've passed my test for a month or so now and thought I'd admit that I've already bought my second helmet.

I got a Caberg V2 407 in gun metal and a Caberg Duke in Matt Black.  Both Sharp 5* FWIW but I don't think they have any track certifications (not that I'm planning any)

Just thought I'd let you know that they seem pretty well made and I'm loving the flip front for refuelling and the pinlock for the antifog.  I've got a foggy for the v2 407 but it isn't a patch on the Duke.  The Duke is tight but really comfortable.

I looked at the Shoei Qwest too but it didn't seem to fit particularly well in spite of the great reputation.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts on lids ?
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Lids
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2013, 08:52:51 pm »
 :)
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2013, 10:45:50 pm »
I gave up on Cabergs, just too noisy. Got a Roof Boxer v8 at present, maybe not the best lid ever but looks cool..
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2013, 12:31:06 am »
Can't beat an Arai IMO

I've got a Caburg Justisimo 2 that I use for my work commute but the shell is just too big in the wind for any sort of long distance ride.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Rebuilt

• DAS Born Again
  • Varadero 1000 09...used to be 99 Fazer in pic
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - honda Varadero 1000 (09)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2013, 11:39:59 am »
personally i liked these ,... unfortuantly didnt think when i bout mine ...

http://www.araihelmet-europe.com/site/collection/tour-x4/
Working on this bit :OP

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2013, 01:13:17 pm »
Ah,  custom lids, my local independent clothing shop. Alwyhad good experience dealing with them :thumbup

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2013, 01:48:13 pm »
Can't beat an Arai IMO

Have you been checked for colour blindness? :pokefun

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2013, 04:30:09 pm »
The lid I'm actually wearing at the moment I got free from BDL when they gave me a courtesy bike after mine got smashed a couple of years ago now. They were supposed to charge me £25 for it if I didn't give it back when they came to collect the bike. They never asked for the money and it's done 2 winters now (I know, it's not over yet!) It was a Ducchini D801.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/duchinni-d801

It's a little bit noisy (I wear ear plugs anyway as normal) and a bit draughty sometimes (I wear a neck gaiter in the winter) but other than that, great!

I've also got a Shoei XR 1000 but that's for best.

(the lid I was wearing when I crashed was a Shoei XR 800, it did the job perfectly as I was bouncing down the road)

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2013, 09:32:31 pm »

I quite fancy one of these     http://www.nlo-moto.com/                         But not sure if they are legal over here.  very cool.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2013, 09:33:40 pm by tex »
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2013, 11:58:24 pm »
I gave up on Cabergs, just too noisy. Got a Roof Boxer v8 at present, maybe not the best lid ever but looks cool..

Same, comfiest helmet Ive ever had.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2013, 09:37:24 am »
http://www.customlids.co.uk/index.php/shop/product/Motorcycle+Helmets-Simpson+Helmets/MRXuvP0NwmGsfqtb/0

I've heard doing a life saver in one of these would require rotating the entire upper body ;-).  A great car helmet though.  Just my 2p.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2013, 10:02:16 am »
I have always had cabergs, but like other people have mentioned, they are very very noisy. I do like the flip down sunglass bit though and I'm looking at the caberg with a Sun roof type thing for my next one

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Tourx4

• DAS Born Again
  • Me and my fazer misbehaving on the roads of life!!
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cg125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2013, 07:10:58 pm »
I ride in a arai on account of having a tiny head, i have a choice of a xs tour x 3 or a xs chaser. Both are a lovely metallic silver and very comfy and work very well with my photochromic pinlocks. I have on occasion walked into my local supermarket with either still on as they are so comfy!!! :lol :lol
My and my beloved fazer misbehaving on the roads of life!!!!

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2013, 07:33:50 pm »
I have an Arai Quantum although previously I only had Shoeis.

The issue I had with my last Shoei, the Qwest, was that the outer shell size was too big for my liking. The chin bar was also rather large and I couldn't do my lifesavers comfortably. I think the XR1100 has a similar issue, for me at least.

The Arai has a considerably smaller outer shell for the same size (I'm a xs or s). It is comfier than my Shoeis and the paint quality is a notch better.

I still think Shoei designs are more modern and better thought out though. They were quieter, lighter and had better visor systems. Ventilation is better on the Quantum however. The Quantum also has a coolmax lining which the velcro on foggys won't adhere to, so I've had to switch back to pinlock which I find can be annoying at night.

I've had to replace a couple of vents on the Arai too, so in terms of features/design I'm not all that fond of it. Still, the bottom line is that it fits me head the best and allows it to move about freely. They take priority over the other features so I'm happy with it.

If I had the money, I'd love to give the Shoei X-spirit 2 and the new GT-air a go though. If the fit & shell size was right I'd go back to Shoei I reckon.

Tourx4

• DAS Born Again
  • Me and my fazer misbehaving on the roads of life!!
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cg125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2013, 07:40:32 pm »
That's the only problem with being a biker we're all built differently especialy in the head department!!!!!! :\ :\
My and my beloved fazer misbehaving on the roads of life!!!!

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2013, 07:29:53 pm »
just bought a shark s900c and so far im very happy with it and it came with pinlock.