Date: 17-06-24  Time: 06:37 am

Author Topic: shaking it's head  (Read 7064 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
shaking it's head
« on: 06 February 2013, 11:37:31 pm »
This is my third Fazer 600, and I love 'em to bits for their normally neutral handling, and just all round usefulness.
This one however has a rather unnerving habit. At between 35-45 mph if you loosen your grip on the bars, she starts a headshake which slowly (1-3seconds) gets worse until I grip the bars again for fear of a tankslapper. I've tried several times at different speeds, and with varying tyre pressures, and even with my large holdall (40kg) on the back. The result is the same every time.
I don't know how long it's been there, as I don't let go of the bars very often :rolleyes . Is there any guru's out there that have any idea what could be causing this? I've recently had the wheel off, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, the brakes have been recently overhauled, and the bike has just clocked 21k. I'm thinking maybe suspension fault, but I'm having a wild stab in the dark.
Someone please help!!! :o
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: shaking it's head
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2013, 12:24:21 am »
I'm no guru, just have a lot of problems with mine, howz the headstock bearing?? That's where I'd start, need to do mine myself, about half turn either way I'm getting a tight part of the bearing. And first time I drive out the gate when I stop I'm getting a solid knock noise but won't hear it again until the next day?

Headstock just might need a little tightening,
also did u hit any bad holes lately? off balance wheel might throw it of abit and at that speed u would notice more harsh feedback from it.

Hope this gives you something to start with?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2013, 12:57:24 am »
Wheel/tyre out of balance, uneven fork oil level.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2013, 03:16:19 am »
Also have a read of this in the hot poop section ! Just found it,

http://foc-u.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Front_Wheel_Wobble_-_description,_and_possible_causes

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2013, 06:46:26 am »
Wheel/tyre out of balance, uneven fork oil level.

iam with you DARRSI.......what condition is the tyre in ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2013, 09:01:15 am »
Tyres only been on no more than 2k, and its just had an mot. Its my sons bike, but he doesn't ride any more so I use it for winter. He could have easily chucked it in a pothole or two, he was quite a careless rider.

Ill start to check these areas out and see what I can find. Your helps appreciated guys!  :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2013, 09:14:16 am »
If ever you do get round to considering checking/changing the fork oil, go for 15w oil instead of the suggested 10w oil, i've found it to give much more stability up front since i changed mine.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2013, 09:15:04 am »
Mine's doing it at the moment, when I've got a load of luggage on, haven't noticed it without luggage, just assumed the front end was lighter than it was designed to be

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2013, 09:40:00 am »
this is a problem across the board ( bikes of all makes and size ) No 1 culprit is luggage, in particular topboxes. reason being, if bike is loaded up to the gills, then yes front end tends to go fairly light. combine this with ( topboxes in particular) wind ( no, not that wind ) deflection first around the rider and then across the pillion `void` before hitting luggage all ends up producing a severe front end wobble, which coincidentally worsens with increased speed. ( hence the wheel balance theory coming into play). something to think about. most probably get shot out of the water like most of me posts ! :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes  Ade why do i bother?

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2013, 09:48:13 am »
i had this briefly on my square eye, new tyre fixed the problem. hope this helps
if it aint broke, try harder!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2013, 09:49:08 am »
good to see you input again ade  :D .......i know about tyre pressure and extra loads etc.does the same apply to rear springs,surely  thats what the adjustment is for  ;)
 when out touring last year,i had 50 ltr top box on the thou and filled the gap between rider and box with tote bag,no problems at all....bit tricky getting off after a long day riding though  :o :o :o
One, is never going to be enough.....

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2013, 12:14:20 pm »
Mines being doing it since new, just keep you hands on the bars  :lol . A common problem on the 600 and any I have ridden were the same, Nothing you do will fix it, only reduce it. Definetely worse with worn tyres.
For some reason it does not happen on my sons fazer 400 and it has the same tyres, fork springs, fork adjusters, fork oil and rear shock as my 600.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2013, 12:49:20 pm »
I would have thought firming up the suspension must help quite a bit, and making sure tyre pressures are correct for the load?

I've felt a wobble at high speed with a passenger before, with added top box weight and a head on wind, you're nearing to the point of doing a wheelie so the steering naturally goes light.

The 600's have a 187kg total weight load limit on them, which is fine for one person, but i'm about 100kg for instance, then add the always half full large top box and metalwork, possibly 25kg, and it leaves you quite limited as to the size of your passengers you can take, about 9 stone max in my case.
I bet a lot of people don't take these weight limits into consideration!

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2013, 12:51:30 pm »
this is a problem across the board ( bikes of all makes and size ) No 1 culprit is luggage, in particular topboxes. reason being, if bike is loaded up to the gills, then yes front end tends to go fairly light. combine this with ( topboxes in particular) wind ( no, not that wind ) deflection first around the rider and then across the pillion `void` before hitting luggage all ends up producing a severe front end wobble, which coincidentally worsens with increased speed. ( hence the wheel balance theory coming into play). something to think about. most probably get shot out of the water like most of me posts ! :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes  Ade why do i bother?

Looks like i'm goosed so!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2013, 12:53:25 pm »
Where exactly is the kitchen sink Packie?  :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2013, 02:17:56 pm »
And finally we get to the bottom of why he is called "packie"  :lol

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2013, 02:43:53 pm »
Where exactly is the kitchen sink Packie?  :lol

That was all the girlfriends gear!! I only brought a change of underwear!!!

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 February 2013, 02:49:53 pm »

Well, at least all that gear is still lighter than that big lump of a motor that you will be trying lug into that frame on the weekend...gulp!!!!. :eek

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2013, 04:53:16 pm »

Well, at least all that gear is still lighter than that big lump of a motor that you will be trying lug into that frame on the weekend...gulp!!!!. :eek

Yeah... getting it out I had gravity technically on my side. Getting it back in is going to be a right pain, but I have my trusty floor jack to assist plus I think Exupnut will be attending to give me a hand ^^

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2013, 05:26:49 pm »

Yeah... getting it out I had gravity technically on my side. Getting it back in is going to be a right pain, but I have my trusty floor jack to assist plus I think Exupnut will be attending to give me a hand ^^

....you called in the calvary, you wuss!  :thumbdown

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 February 2013, 07:45:24 pm »
Bet it solved the shaking problem, you would be afraid to take you hands off to check it. :lol
How far did you ride with that load?

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 February 2013, 08:49:59 pm »
XJ900 Diversions are prone to the front end "wobble"! most put it down to having a top box,i would suggest if you don't have a box on check wheel & swingarm bearings too!!!

Ray

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 February 2013, 09:01:02 pm »
Putting the obvious like wheel, head and swingarm bearings aside which can be checked in a few minutes..

The problem could lie in the geometery..

Have you checked the sag?

How far round is the rear preload ring?

If the sag is correct, and the shock is in good order, check the air gap in the forks as it could be too low..

Fazbaz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - YZFR1 YZFR6 SV650S
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 February 2013, 10:21:55 pm »
I used to have a Fazer and without luggage it was fine but even with an empty topbox it would emulate your bike.

I ended up fitting a cheapy steering damper for piece of mind mainly for when touring.

I've still got it if you want it for the cost of postage and a few beers ( the steering damper and connections / mounts, not the Fazer )  ;)

Baz  :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2013, 03:49:11 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. Been using the fz1 for a week or so,  and left the 600 in the garage. Found out yesterday that there is a slow puncture in the rear tyre and pumped it up to 40psi, front was only on 25psi, took it up to 32. Went for a ride and the shake is dramatically reduced, but still there.
Got to look into this further, as my other two Fazers didn't have this problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2