Date: 15-06-24  Time: 22:31 pm

Author Topic: Oil & Oil Filter change.  (Read 6442 times)

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Oil & Oil Filter change.
« on: 22 January 2013, 06:36:08 pm »
Right so I want to change my oil on the bike, I have everything I need. Oil, Filter and Crush washer.

What I want to know is how much oil do I use, what mm the drain bolt it and how I take off the filter without the proper tool.

Any advice welcome.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Oil & Oil Filter change.
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2013, 07:18:45 pm »
The messiest way i can think of is whacking a screwdriver through the filter then using it as a wrench.

As for oil, it's a 2.5 litre sump, or around 2.7 litres with a filter change, but you need to start the engine for 30 odd seconds, switch off, then check the window for the correct level and then top up if needed.
You want it between the upper and lower markings of the window.
Keep starting the engine, switch off, then check again.
Don't overfill it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2013, 08:31:46 pm »
try unscrewing the oil filter by hand - if they have been put on not overtightly, then they might just come off with some gentle brute force
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2013, 08:44:41 pm »
That's why i now buy the K&N oil filter, 'cos it's got a nut head on it and can be undone with a socket or spanner!

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2013, 11:01:49 pm »
That's why i now buy the K&N oil filter, 'cos it's got a nut head on it and can be undone with a socket or spanner!

Can you re use it like the air filter if so how do you clean it?

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2013, 11:12:34 pm »

Can you re use it like the air filter if so how do you clean it?

No, if its comming off, you replace it..

Fordy

• Cager in Training
  • 01 FZS
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2013, 11:16:14 pm »
i used a garendening glove to get a grip on it.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2013, 11:45:52 pm »
I use a strap wrench to get mine off (fnarr fnarr) but you can get a socket adapter for the job. When you put the new one on wipe a bit of fresh oil on the seal and put it on hand tight, there's a haynes manual in the downloads section should cover this with pictures.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2013, 11:48:48 pm by DryRob »
thou shalt not kick

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2013, 11:55:27 pm »
I use an old wood chisel, though a sharpened screwdriver would work just as well.
Rather than punching it through the filter place it at the rim of the filter and tap it gently with a hammer a few times in the unscrewing direction.

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2013, 12:09:15 am »
I use an old wood chisel, though a sharpened screwdriver would work just as well.
Rather than punching it through the filter place it at the rim of the filter and tap it gently with a hammer a few times in the unscrewing direction.
Second that if you dont have a rubber grip/filter wrench. If you whack the screwdriver thru you end getting oil everywhere! Dont forget to go for a ride before draining your oil gto help it flow easier (but watch your fingers on the hot engine/exhaust).

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2013, 12:13:17 am »
+1

I've used the screwdriver method on cars and the bike, but its incredibly messy :( I now have an oil wrench which im yet to test, so hopefully all shall go well next time :P The largest problem is usually having enough space to use the darned wrench in the first place :lol

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2013, 09:52:51 am »
The largest problem is usually having enough space to use the darned wrench in the first place :lol

Yep, I got one of these from Ebay, makes the job so much easier but you'll need an externder so you can reach the nut through the pipes.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2013, 10:21:11 am »
Once youve cracked the sump plug open a turn or two put something under the drain hole for when you get the plug out to drain the old oil into the drain pan, just a cut up old coke bottle will do or anything to hand, otherwise the old oil comes out of the side , hits the frame and then goes wherever it wants to before dripping onto your garage floor. Mind your fingers, the old oil is hot !. Oh and dont overtighten the sump plug. Good luck with it, its a simple enough job but i always get a feeling of satisfaction from doing an oil change, maybe I need to get out more.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2013, 01:21:46 pm »
I did say the screwdriver method would be messy!! But then he did say he hasn't got the proper tools for the job. Personally i'd have popped out and bought a chain wrench by now, you can't beat simple but proper tools for the job in hand, it makes life so much easier!
@Lewis the oil filter is just made by K&N, it's only a normal replacement, apart from the added extra of the nut on the end which is extremely useful.

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2013, 04:06:37 pm »
I did say the screwdriver method would be messy!! But then he did say he hasn't got the proper tools for the job. Personally i'd have popped out and bought a chain wrench by now, you can't beat simple but proper tools for the job in hand, it makes life so much easier!
@Lewis the oil filter is just made by K&N, it's only a normal replacement, apart from the added extra of the nut on the end which is extremely useful.

My friend has all the tools so I am going to go his and change the oil and he is going to watch me to make sure I do everything OK. He does his own work on his bike.

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2013, 01:59:52 pm »
Does anyone know what size the drain bolt is and what size socket I would need?

comicsans

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2013, 02:37:10 pm »
i think its a 17 lewis.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2013, 02:49:32 pm »
+1

Definitely 17 as I did this yesterday :)

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2013, 04:12:22 pm »
Thank you very much both of you. Could I use a spanner at all?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2013, 04:40:02 pm »
I personally use a ring spanner, it's a bit easier to use with the bike on the side stand (drains the oil easier on the side stand).
Undo the bolt first, making sure the oil is directed into a bowl correctly, then undo the oil filler cap to let the air pass through.
Then tighten the bolt back up firmly but not overtight.

Then put the bike on the centre stand on a flat surface before refilling with oil.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2013, 04:42:24 pm by darrsi »

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2013, 04:43:56 pm »
I personally use a ring spanner, it's a bit easier to use with the bike on the side stand (drains the oil easier on the side stand).
Undo the bolt first, making sure the oil is directed into a bowl correctly, then undo the oil filler cap to let the air pass through.
Then tighten the bolt back up firmly but not overtight.

Cheers boss, will do. I've just bough a set of spanners and it has a 17mm ring one on so I am good to go there :D

Just to get this right, it is around 2.7 litres when I fill it back up. I will be draining the oil and changing the filter.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2013, 04:52:41 pm »
From empty, as you are changing the filter as well, you're safe to put in 2.5 litres straight off.
Then, start the engine for 20-30 seconds so it coats the engine, switch off, and then watch the window, the oil will slowly rise up.
If it's not enough add a bit at a time, then start engine again, switch off, then watch the window again.
Repeat this process until the oil level is in between the metal markers at the side of the window.
Make sure the bike's on a level flat surface on the centre stand though otherwise you'll get a false reading.  ;)

If you're thinking of changing the oil around the 4000 mile mark, you only need to replace the filter every 2 changes, it's not necessary every time.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2013, 04:54:56 pm by darrsi »

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2013, 04:54:22 pm »
From empty, as you are changing the filter as well, you're safe to put in 2.5 litres straight off.
Then, start the engine for 20-30 seconds so it coats the engine, switch off, and then watch the window, the oil will slowly rise up.
If it's not enough add a bit at a time, then start engine again, switch off, then watch the window again.
Repeat this process until the oil level is in between the metal markers at the side of the window.
Make sure the bike's on a level flat surface on the centre stand though otherwise you'll get a false reading.  ;)

I love you.... :)

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2013, 04:55:46 pm »
according to manual :

Oil quantity:Total amount:3.5 L
Periodic oil change:2.5 L
With oil filter replacement:2.7 L
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 January 2013, 04:57:10 pm »

I love you.... :)

Now, now, control yourself, you have a bike to look after.......  :biker