Date: 16-06-24  Time: 04:35 am

Author Topic: Quick Question about Fork Oil  (Read 1146 times)

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
Quick Question about Fork Oil
« on: 18 January 2013, 11:41:57 am »
What amount did you guys put into your fork legs when using the heavier 15w grade oil? Is it the same as the specs or did you put less?

Cheers in advance,
Packie

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question about Fork Oil
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2013, 11:55:31 am »
I did mine 2 weeks ago, put 15w in but kept the same level as in the book, no problems at all.

Just make sure you get the correct air space between oil and the top of the fork, as there are different measurements for forks with adjusters and for without. I've put an older set of forks on mine and the air gap is 121mm without adjusters because of less metalwork inside.

Just checked, your air gap should be 132mm, with the springs out and the forks compressed.

http://www.motorbikespecs.net/index.dyn?flag=2&model_id=5835411&make=Yamaha
« Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 12:13:21 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2013, 09:31:06 am »
Thanks Darrsi....

I was putting an old leg on my newer 2002 Fazer. The old stanchion was savagely pitted at the back high up, which the previous owner failed to tell me, the foccer! He only said that he put heavier oil in because the handling was bad at high speed....bollocks! He put the heavier oil in mainly in the hope to stop the "travel up" to the pitted surface which was propably just done before I bought the bike.

Took the spacer, spring and adjuster from 2002 fork leg and put into the old leg...all ok now so far. Thanks for the quick response.

Packie

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2013, 02:39:21 pm »
hi i done my last year i done clip put it on utube here is the link i hope it helps
update on my mods to the fz600 fazer part one

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2013, 06:31:01 pm »
@topgun44
Can i just point something out to you that i've clocked in your video.
Your profile says you have an 00/01 Fazer which has the upgraded forks with adjusters on, the same bike as mine.
But you say in your video you've put 475ml of oil in with a 121mm air gap.
If you check the manual you should have only put 465ml with a 132mm air gap, because the adjusters take up more space in the fork legs.
You've described the oil change for a 98/99 bike that doesn't have adjusters.
I s'pose it won't hurt, but having too much of the thicker oil will probably make it feel pretty damn firm up front i'd imagine?
The reason i noticed is because i have the older forks on my bike and 2 oil changes ago i did the opposite and didn't put enough oil in because i was reading the manual for the year of my bike, rather than the year of the forks, which caused bad handling and a wobbly feeling at low speed!
« Last Edit: 19 January 2013, 08:03:08 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.