Date: 01-06-24  Time: 16:15 pm

Author Topic: Stopped by police - tyres  (Read 3044 times)

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Stopped by police - tyres
« on: 10 January 2013, 07:14:14 pm »
Hello people,

Has anyone had an experience like the following?

Last night my son was stopped by the police on his 125. The reason given for stopping him was because he didn't have any 'L' plates on. Son explains to the copper that he has passed his test. Copper says he believes him but gives him a producer anyway (fair enough I thought)

He then looks around the bike. My son is told that his back tyre is illegal and is given a ticket that requires him to get the defect repaired (i.e. a new tyre) and get the ticket stamped by an MOT station, before sending off to the relevant authority. No gauge is used to decide it is below the legal limit, just a look under torch light.

Now I know his tyre wasn't illegal, because I only checked them for him at the weekend, but I went out tonight and check them again anyway. At the the lowest point of the tread, which is around the centre of the tyre, my gauge was reading 1.8-2.0 mm.

I know most people start to think about changing at this sort of tread depth, but the point is it wasn't down to the 1mm legal limit.

I'm assuming I could take it to a MOT station and get it checked and the ticket stamped, but how much hassle is that going to cause if he gets stopped and checked by the same officer again, who clearly will think he hasn't had an illegal tyre replaced, even though it wasn't illegal?

Must point out, my son said the officer was pleasant and chatting with him, and was a biker himself.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Stopped by police - tyres
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2013, 07:47:02 pm »
I'd get a new tyre, although I do try get the last bit out of my rear tyre, but I only use mine in the dry if possible, or get the ticket stamped and hope he doesn't meet up with the same officer?

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2013, 07:53:00 pm »
Id Be taking a trip to the officers station and having a word with his superior officer myself and asking him to explain how the tyre is illegal with the tread depth you mentioned  :evil   as it isnt illegal

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2013, 08:00:52 pm »
That was my first thought bigsteve, but is that just asking for the copper concerned to pull him over again?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2013, 08:01:33 pm »
I agree to go back to the station, but good luck with the superior officer bit. Ask specifically for a traffic officer, and you can't go wrong. Get him to look at the tyre and use a tyre tread wear guage. If all is in order, he should be able to cancel the VDRS.

Im assuming he gave your son a VDRS form?
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2013, 08:16:20 pm »
White HO/RT 1 for the producer (documents) and pink 'vehicle defect form' for the tyre. Both with same document number.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2013, 08:42:02 pm »
White HO/RT 1 for the producer (documents) and pink 'vehicle defect form' for the tyre. Both with same document number.

Yeah, go to your local Nick if you feel like your in the right, and speak to a traffic cop. He should be able to sort you out a solution.

Let us know how you get on. :)

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2013, 09:05:32 pm »
Thanks for replies, I'll go to the station wih him and see what i can sort out.
i'll report back with the outcome when i get one

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2013, 10:05:02 pm »
Ok, just been to the station with my son, but all the traffic officers were out doing traffic stuff!

We did manage to speak to an 'experienced' officer who suggested that we take photographic evidence of the tyre and then take the bike to be checked at our MOT station and as there is no defect, get them to fill out the defect form as if the defect has been rectified and send it off.

He also said that the issuing officer should have made a note of tyre make, model and serial number and measured the tread with a gauge before issuing the ticket. My son is adamant that he did none of these.

I suppose my only concern is that by doing this we acknowledge there was a fault, and even though the ticket was issued incorrectly, that the incident is recorded against his name?

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2013, 10:19:55 pm »
The only other thing I can think is contact you local  VOSA see if they can give any advice

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2013, 10:32:14 pm »
There's no record of a VDRS that will come back to your son. They're not put on any comeback system, so once its sorted, that's the end of it.
The bobby that issued it sounds a bit inexperienced to me. Probably trying to be a bit overkeen. If they've advised you to take it to the MOT station and get a stamp on it, then that seems to be the easiest option. VOSA will only ask you to do the same IMHO.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2013, 10:38:41 pm »
pretty sure this is how they got alcapone :lol

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2013, 10:44:57 pm »
Probably!
I think ultimately now he's passed his test he needs to get rid of the 125 for something bigger, then he'll not get stopped for having no L plates

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2013, 11:44:24 pm »
This is true. Unless your like my son who got a fazer 600 after passing his test, luckily doing his 2 Years, then totting up 12 points in 6 months. Now taking a 'break from riding' for 6 months. :rolleyes

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2013, 07:41:17 am »
Probably!
I think ultimately now he's passed his test he needs to get rid of the 125 for something bigger, then he'll not get stopped for having no L plates

Why the hell should he upgrade. He's allowed to ride a 125 without L plates if he's passed. If i lived in town i probably would, and have a big bike for fun stuff.
If he continuely gets stopped take it to IPCC for harassment. Plus the copper got it all wrong by the sounds of it. I bet if he was in a car without L plates he wouldn't of been stopped. Sounds like an anti biker to me, even if he said he was. >:  Morning rant over.

Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2013, 08:27:31 am »
zealous ??...maybe...but also he might have been looking out for your son. His tyre might be " legal" , but wearing thin , riding in a cold wet winter. TBH for the cost of a tyre I would just replace it....rather than risk a skid/ crash  in wet weather chasing the last 0.5mm of tread to prove a point ?
How old would a 125 tyre be to wear downto this level ??
Personally as soon as my rear tyre gets to 2mm I am thinking of replacing it , and I dont ride in the wet if I can help it !

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2013, 08:33:26 am »
I don't want to play devil's advocate skippernick, but most 125 riders without L plates will get stopped, its one of the 'triggers' for further, more serious offences.
Fair enough, if its the same cop that stops him then its harassment and get a complaint in. If its different cops every time, then they're just doing their job protecting other road users from unsafe and uninsured drivers.

I bet mustardbufc, your sons gagging to get a bigger bike anyway, I know mine did.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2013, 09:14:53 am »
When Jesus were a lad and I had a fizzy, I passed my moped test and removed the L plates and took the occasional pillion.
Got stopped almost every time. Just got to accept that if on a "learner" machine without L plates you are going to get a pull.

For the time and effort going to be involved in turning the ticket over I think i'd get a new tyre. In view of the wear involved it's a no brainer.

Poodyboy

• GP Hero
  • Where can I find me some hookers?
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW S1000rr HP4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2013, 10:42:12 am »
When Jesus were a lad and I had a fizzy, I passed my moped test and removed the L plates and took the occasional pillion.
Got stopped almost every time. Just got to accept that if on a "learner" machine without L plates you are going to get a pull.

For the time and effort going to be involved in turning the ticket over I think i'd get a new tyre. In view of the wear involved it's a no brainer.

That 'n the fact you ride like a tit, and that they only reason they don't still pull you over is that they could actually catch up with you on the fizzy.
I can put three hundred letters in here? Really?  I can dump this much crap at the bottom of each and every post and reply that I do, and there not a stinking thing  you can do about it.  I can also put in a picture you say?  My my, aren’t we generous with the space all of a sudden.  This won’t last

mustardbufc

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2013, 06:53:08 pm »
Been to the mot station today and the guy checked it out, all was legal (2mm tread left) and he stamped the ticket for us to send off.
He did say that I had a case for taking it up with the police, but also said that could make my son a future target for getting pulled again. His advice was to send it off and let that be the end of it.

He is going to sell it and get something bigger when he can afford it anyway. Nothing mental, he wants a drz 400 sm.

I/my son didn't have any problem with the original stop for no L's, because you can see why they would do that.

Pitternator,
I suppose he could have been looking out for him, but then surely a friendly word would be the thing to do, not issue a ticket for something that wasn't illegal? And that is the point, the tyre wasn't illegal, the copper didn't check it properly and issued a ticket anyway. I knew we would soon need to change it unless he sells the bike soon (would still maybe change it anyway to help the sale along).
Also, how old is the tyre you ask? Well, it's a year old. We but a brand new bridgestone BT45 on it about 6000 miles ago, just after my son bought it.

Anyway, hopefully all sorted now. Thanks for replies and comments