Date: 15-06-24  Time: 23:46 pm

Author Topic: new brake lines  (Read 1397 times)

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
new brake lines
« on: 07 December 2012, 04:36:52 pm »
right ordered the new goodrich hoses .are my gonna have problems bleeding these .think have read that folks have problems getting the air out .any tips.ordered 2 lines from master cylinder to caliper.
cheers
bash

Webby62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: new brake lines
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2012, 08:10:35 pm »
Personally I wouldn't mess around with the brakes unless you really know what you are doing. Reliable mechanic with a brake bleeding kit would be my advice.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2012, 08:45:36 pm »
first tip longer line goes to left caliper as you sit on bike
remove old lines (protect paint from fluid)
remount horn
make small cut with stanley knife to remove rubbers that go in clips
fit to new lines super glue back together
connect up
you will need a length silicone tube got mine from model shop
and a syringe (from were ever) got mine from one them paramedic cars that packs up outside mcdonalds waiting on a call
fill res with new fluid
8mm spanner open one caliper and connect tube to nipple and syringe and draw back to suck fluid
you can gently squeeze lever to
when fluid flows lock off remove syringe and go pump and lock to remove air
stock brakes are easy 6 pots are a pig

luke
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

dannymassive

• Weekend Warrior
  • 2001 Gen 1 FZS1000
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2012, 12:18:34 pm »
......as above, plus, make sure brake fluid reservoir does not run low on fluid - keep it topped up!
2001 Gen 1 FZS1000

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2013, 12:50:31 am »
If you go down the pipe and syringe route, would it not be possible just to inject fluid through the bleed nipple all the way up to the master cylinder or did I just mis read the above post and its already been said.
If you don't go down the syringe route, it will take ages to bleed them, but persevere and you will get it done eventually. When doing it this way, a top tip is to get as much fluid in the system and then leave the bike over night with a cable tie around the brake lever and throttle, pulling the lever back to the bars. When you go back to the job, try also tapping the brake lines from bottom to top, to allow air to bubble up.
Incidentally, as far as I'm aware you can purchase large syringes from most chemists.
Hope this helps

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2013, 07:30:41 pm »
the farm supply wholesale type shops sell large syringes complete with tubing also great for filling Scott oilers

tommyteeman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Husqvarna 701 sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2013, 08:05:23 pm »
mityvac is good as long as you put a turn of plumbers tape on the bleed nipples threads, or it'll just suck in air. Large syringe works good too...push the fluid up from the caliper to master, will take a couple mins to do the whole job with the 2 line. With any way though you'll probably still need the loosen nipple,pull clutch in, tighten nipple repeat method to get the job right. As said tape clutch lever in overnight, should force tiny bubbles out the system