Date: 01-06-24  Time: 17:28 pm

Author Topic: bar mounted mirror Q  (Read 3252 times)

tommyteeman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Husqvarna 701 sm
    • View Profile
bar mounted mirror Q
« on: 17 November 2012, 08:24:58 pm »
going to put a set of bar mounted mirrors on and was wondering what others have done. The right hand looks simple enough using the mount already there, is that reverse thread in there ?
Left side was thinking one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Universal-Motorcycle-Mirror-Mounting-Bracket-Suit-22mm-Bar-10mm-Thread-/310475330568?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4849c59408 which I assume will be normal/right hand thread.
Now then.....If I buy a set of yamaha mirrors will they both be left hand thread, both right hand or one of each ?  :'( :lol

any help welcome........ :)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: bar mounted mirror Q
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2012, 10:28:20 pm »
But why?
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2012, 02:46:47 am »
I got a clutch perch from a gen 2 naked, that has the mirror mount built into it, I then also got a set of std gen2 naked black (they also come in chrome) mirrors.

The RH side mount is reverse threaded thread & the LH side is normal, you can get adapters to fit normal mirrors eg:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-to-10mm-Yamaha-Mirror-Reverse-Thread-Adapter-x2-/360387640305

Just pasting that as an example of the item, it was the first link that came up, certainly not recommending them, particularly when the listing states:

PLEASE Don't expect / assume this is a Quality Item, Buy OEM item if you want to get quality product.    :lol :lol :lol

As for why?  They're far better than the std gen1 mirrors, I can actually see clearly what's behind me now without having to shift my body out of the way & I think it looks better too.

« Last Edit: 18 November 2012, 02:48:06 am by Pat »

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2012, 09:07:15 am »
in agrreement the oem are a poor mirror for rear view  :\ :\ , i have mounted some on the bars and its a lot better  :D , got some mirror blanks for the fairing, and a mount for the left mirror and yes the right is a reverse thread
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2012, 10:43:49 am »
I bought a pair of cnc billet bar end mirrors from rideitmoto.com.£50ish posted from the states.When fitted the mirrors don't protrude to far out from the end of the bars.There are photo's of mirrors fitted to fazers on the site.Vision to the rear is excellent,with no fuzzy vibration of what may be coming behind.

tommyteeman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Husqvarna 701 sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2012, 06:41:52 pm »
i just think the std mirrors are pretty bad, tried the muzzy(?)mod but it just looks wierd, had bar end mirrors which have been the best so far, so its down to the bar mounted now, had them on other bikes and been spot on so hopefully they'll be the same on the fazer. Thx for the info

garysimmo

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Buell s1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2012, 06:58:32 pm »
I did the mirror mod and the difference in my opinion was night and day much much better, ordered the fairing blanks from china, about £4 the clamp on mirror adaptor and the converter to normal thread for r/h was about £10 for both then the choice of mirrors is up to you

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2012, 12:51:30 pm »
When i done mine i machined a new clutch bolt/pivot to include a mount, if you want i will post a pic of it, it looks like a standard mount.
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2012, 01:49:51 pm »
think i used an fz1n clutch lever braket/mount on mine.

justy1000

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2012, 08:14:13 pm »
Looks like the same mount that I used.

I have in the past tried the reverse flip standard mirror mod but IMO it looked really crap and out of place.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2012, 12:38:18 pm »
Was thinking about this too, with something like Ducati or Triumph Speed Triple mirrors.
Does a Gen 2 clutch lever mount let you use original lever?

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2012, 08:43:42 pm »
Yes, one of the reasons I went for it was because I'd recently bought a set of Titax levers & didn't want to have to fork out another £60 for a new clutch one to fit a different perch!  :)