Date: 17-06-24  Time: 15:06 pm

Author Topic: Missing /lumpy /not starting  (Read 971 times)

bobw078

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Missing /lumpy /not starting
« on: 27 October 2012, 07:44:05 pm »
Not been on here for a while...but it's the first place I think off when I have a fazed problem.

Heading out for a run a couple of days ago and the bike dies, doing 60mph and everything shuts down /stalls. Coast to the side and it'll not start. Give it a few minutes of trying, followed by a big backfire and away she goes again.

Now sometimes it'll start and other times it will not. Move it a few feet and away it goes.

Also when it starts up at first it is very lumpy and then cuts out.

Had new plugs about 1000 miles ago so not sure if I've put the wrong ones in....09 Iridium plugs

Any ideas / thoughts would be great.
Bob

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Missing /lumpy /not starting
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2012, 09:29:25 pm »
Big backfire suggests its fuelling properly but not igniting... points to an electrical problem.

That would suggest that there's some vital wire somewhere that is making intermittent contact. That's not unusual on a 10yr old bike.

Some possibles...

+12V or earth to the coils.
The timing lead from the pickup in the engine left casing.
Corrosion in the ignition switch.
The immobiliser plug (or frayed wires to it) under the seat failing to make contact (that was the cause of the same problem for some bloke on here recently)
etc. etc.

Need more evidence: I would get it idling and start waggling some wires to see if you can make it die.

bobw078

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2012, 10:02:03 pm »
I put a blue flame on earlier this year and cleaned out the k&n (on the bike when I bought it). Wasn't sure if this was a problem but the cutting out didn't start around this time so guess not.

Going to take the tank of tomorrow and try check all wiring. I'll Certainly do the wire wiggling though as I'm not all that convinced about the immobiliser.

Thanks

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2012, 11:48:51 pm »
It sounds similar to the problem I had a month ago which had been preceded by a very intermittent misfire for a few thousand miles.