Date: 17-06-24  Time: 04:10 am

Author Topic: Its foc'ing boiled over...  (Read 5890 times)

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Its foc'ing boiled over...
« Reply #25 on: 21 October 2012, 09:55:45 am »
no photo again!  :rolleyes
...Oh Yeah!

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 October 2012, 10:03:27 am »
oh and it looks like it leads to the carbs...
...Oh Yeah!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 October 2012, 01:00:40 pm »
Well at least you didn't start messing with the head gasket, that could've been painful!  :)

Unless you are fortunate enough to have one of the few Yamaha dealers left near you, and by a million to one chance they have your part in stock then i doubt very much you'll get your hose today! Alternatively if you have a bike breakers nearby they may have one if you're very lucky!

I can't tell by the photo whereabouts that hose is but try this site:  http://www.yamahascooterspares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?modelID=9655&PageiD=7&m=YAMAHA+FZS600+Fazer+RADIATOR%2E+HOSE&uID=0

Or maybe this one:  http://www.yamahascooterspares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?modelID=9655&PageiD=11&m=YAMAHA+FZS600+Fazer+CARBURETOR&uID=0

If it's not there, go back to the main page and enter your bike again and look through the menu.  ;)

I just thought, if it leads to the carbs it might be the pipe for the carb heater circuit. There are some small hoses that go around the carbs to try and keep them a little warmer in winter to avoid carb icing. They get blocked with crap very easily because they are so narrow though.

Also, when you've sorted the pipe, do what i said earlier and leave Rad Flush in for 2 or 3 days of riding. If you have a clogged up system it works so much better over a few days rather than the suggested 10 minutes ticking over or 10/20 mile ride, or whatever it says on the bottle. It will heat up and circulate when riding, but then just sit and soak overnight, then when you ride again the next day and circulate the fluid any crap will break down much easier. But be sure to flush the system with a hosepipe when you're done to get rid of any loosened debris.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2012, 01:25:54 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 October 2012, 01:56:38 pm »
if its split right at the end you might get away with just trimming the end off the hose as a temporary fix

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 October 2012, 06:07:49 pm »
Good result  :thumbup . In case you have not already sorted it I can tell you that pipe does indeed go to the carbs. It is 230mm long with a bore of 3.5 or possibly 4mm. You might be able to get a length of pipe from a car accessary place, (i.e. Halfords, etc.), as a lot of cars use a similar size pipe to control such things as egr valves. Not sure because they are sometimes only about 2mm bore. A vacuum pipe in those cases but if it's the right bore it would do the job. 
Another temporary fix would be to use good pieces of your split pipe to block of the connection at each end, but remember it gets pressurised in use. The purpose of the pipe is to provide some warmth to the carbs to stop them freezing up. You probably wouldn't notice it till the weather gets a bit colder.

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 October 2012, 08:09:02 pm »
again fellas, thanks for all the comments, I did what was suggested by his dudeness and cut the bit off the end, about a quarter of an inch, and re-attached... after much tugging (and pulling the pipes, wahey!) the coolant pipes came off the thermostat and once everything was unclipped it was an easy fix.

I filled the system with water to check for leaks, nothing apparent so took it for a spin around some local streets, gradually to start with and stopping regularly to check the fan hadn't kicked in and that it wasn't pissing water out, then getting a bit quicker and revving harder. white smoke has gone from the exhaust and all is good!

good tip darrsi, I'll put Rad flush in and run it for a few days, I'll sort that after work tomorrow I think, should be ok on just water till then, provided it doesn't freeze tonight!

I'm also going to order a replacement pipe to fit at the weekend, the disadvantage of not having a garage and needing to work late in the winter :(

CHeers for the tip limax, I was thinking it must be a standard size so may have a look at just buying a piece of hose depending on the cost of the genuine part.

Thanks again everyone

Phil
...Oh Yeah!