Date: 24-06-24  Time: 13:07 pm

Author Topic: water in fuel tank  (Read 1528 times)

gordon

• DAS Born Again
  • you only live once ride like the devil
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
water in fuel tank
« on: 16 October 2012, 08:33:52 am »
help needed , as i opened fuel filling cap i noticed water was sitting on the rubber but some went in fuel tank.

thought there was a drain pipe so that didnt happen, i know there are two pipes under the tank but which one is not the breather pipe ? ( as you sit on the bike ) . all ready got new filler cap at a cost of £37 so its not that as why the water is getting in there.

cheers guys  :eek

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: water in fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2012, 11:15:07 am »
I think there is a little drain at the bottom of the recessed area surrounding the filler hole. Make sure that's not blocked.

gordon

• DAS Born Again
  • you only live once ride like the devil
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2012, 10:18:04 pm »
hi ya , i,v put a thin bit of wire down it quite long ,but will blow down it with air line tomorrow . thanks

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2013, 11:09:13 am »
Resurrection of old post:

I am now having this problem with water sitting at the filler cap, tried to soak up with some forecourt towels but just kept coming, must be a blocked drain or pipe somewhere?

Can somebody point me in right direction?

Ta

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2013, 12:28:49 pm »
There is a drain hole under the rubber bit. if you undo the allen bolts holding the cap on, you can remove the whole unit to expose the hole ( its at about 10 o clock when sitting on bike ). If that appears to be clear you can carefully blow down it , don't use a high pressure blow gun cuz you might damage the pipe where it goes THROUGH the tank. If gentle blowing doesn't clear it,wait until you have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel,  remove seat, undo bolt at front of tank and lift tank up to about 45 degrees and support with a bit of whatever ( broom handle etc ) you will now see 2 small rubber pipes attached to bottom of tank, one of them is the water drain and the other is the breather pipe for the fuel tank, you can safely disconnect both of these pipes with the fuel cap open you should be able to blow through both these pipes, ( through the tank AND blow down the rubber pipes that you have just disconnected ) when you find where you can't blow through, get a thin piece of wire and gently attempt to clear blockage. Hope this is of some use, Fraser
Old enough to know better

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2013, 01:04:37 pm »
Thanks Fraser,

Will have a look.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul