Date: 17-06-24  Time: 02:47 am

Author Topic: heated grips, long johns and heated vests...  (Read 4074 times)

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
heated grips, long johns and heated vests...
« on: 01 October 2012, 10:01:23 am »
hi all,

I’m starting to prepare for the winter months of riding my 70 mile round trip commute and have found these http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/product.php/116/symtec-motorcycle-heated-grip/2a3b613753dc826371496ce81eb8c020 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience of this type of heated grip. Do the existing grips come off in a way that they can be put back on or will I have to buy new grips after trying for ages and then going at them with a Stanley knife out of frustration?! Also how effective are they versus the full change of grip to Oxfords?

I don’t really want to have to go for Oxford Hot Grips as I like the look of the standard grips and they seem a little more streamlined and low key (the switch is tiny compared to the oxfords bar mounted affair)

Second question is; can anyone recommend a decent heated vest / thin jacket that runs off the battery and doesn’t cost the earth? I’ve been looking at safenwarm but they are just too expensive at the moment (new baby is draining the funds!)

And thirdly… I decided to buy a cheepo long john top for about £4 from Go Outdoors to see how well it would cope with the colder weather, it works a dream, makes a mockery of any more expensive technical wear I’ve had before, I just look like my grandad / a hillbilly in it, but as its under my jacket no one needs to know…apart from you guys!
...Oh Yeah!

Orangegrump

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: heated grips, long johns and heated vests...
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2012, 02:24:14 pm »
I have fitted the symtec grips and they are good.   I used this guide from the old site to make a switched live.
There was also a guide on BCF showing how to fit them.
I also bought the heat pad that goes into the jacket's back proctector pocket which helps keep the core warm
Both recommended.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2012, 06:56:20 pm »
Or you could get heated gloves. One of the guys here has Gerbing heated gloves, and recommends them;
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,4830.0.html

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2012, 08:48:18 pm »
The muddy fox range at sports direct is good for keeping warm i find. they are a good base layer being tight to the skin and if you are a bit of a wuss like me they have padded options to help stop a numb bum.  :)

http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/Default.aspx?DescriptionFilter=muddy%20fox&dcp=1
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Elise111s

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Lotus Elise 111s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2012, 05:02:23 pm »
I've just fitted some R&G heated grips and can't fault them for £37:00. The switch is nice and discreet with one button and a 5 lights which light up as you increase the temperature.
I don't think they look much different from the OEM grips either.

philshaq

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2012, 09:37:36 am »
I've just had a look at the R&G ones, they look pretty good. Sadly I've ordered the symtec ones so will have to see if I can actually remove the grips, intact, otherwise I'll be replacing them as well!

Heated gloves would have been a good idea as well but they are pretty expensive and as I'm buying a heated vest i didn't want to get to the stage of having different branded heated clothing that wouldn't connect together and having to wire it all in separately. Will let you all know how I get on with the fitting of the heated grips...

Thanks for the comments as always guys
...Oh Yeah!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2012, 12:28:18 pm »
Hey fuzzbom, thanks for the reminder, i bought some o those muddy fox long john thingys for goin on my mountain bike and ive forgotten all about them, must give them a try, they got a padded arse/crotch area for mountain bike saddles and were so cheap i just had to have them.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike