Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:45 pm

Author Topic: Front Sprocket  (Read 2914 times)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Front Sprocket
« on: 25 September 2012, 10:50:33 am »
I'm sure there a few out there that have changed the gearing and dropped down a tooth on the front sprocket. Am I right in thinking that the standard is 16 and dropping down will make a significant difference to acceleration, I am aware that the top end speed will be compromised but not sure of how much.....any replies on this subject will be very much appreciated.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Front Sprocket
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2012, 11:15:02 am »
I went up 2 on the rear, it did sharpen the acceleration and did not lose any noticeable top end. Well not any top end that I used anyway.
On the down side fuel costs went up and tyre wear to.
Also be aware that the speedo will be out to unless u use a speedo healer.

There is a line of thought that 1 down on front also adds stress and wear to chain where as 3 up on rear is better and the same result. I felt 2 on rear was a better compromise for me.
Oh and cruise speed on mway etc is a bit more buzzy.

But it is fun :P

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2012, 12:08:59 pm »
Tyre wear increased on the rear?! More wheelies?  :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2012, 07:04:33 pm »
Hello Bigbluebear, I have played about with front sprockets, both going up 1 and down 1.  Really enjoyed going down 1 as you really notice the difference in acceleration and I know this is going to sound infantile but very satisfying blitzing litre sportsbikes with the low down torque avaliable. The speedo does over read but in a  way this can help you to keep your speed down. As for affecting the top speed, does that really matter on the roads ?  What I was concerned about was putting more miles on the bike due to the over-reading and have gone back to standard for now but if I ever do a track day it will defo be going back on. ;)

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2012, 08:17:17 pm »
Did you have to lter the chain length or is there enough scope to adjust it on the bike?
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2012, 08:27:10 pm »
No, there seemed to be enough adjustment to cope either way. ;)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2012, 04:35:22 pm »
Thanks Dazza, to be honest I'm not that bothered about the speedo or the mileage going up. The acceleration is what I'm looking for an improvement on.

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2012, 01:51:39 pm »
Thinking of doing this too, I think every bike I have had I have done, some needed - Aprilia twins and Triumph 955i (18T standard anyone?!)
and a carbed R1 had been done previously, pulled in top like my mate's in 4th!  :lol

Will prob do this once I decide I'm getting a new chain and Sprox.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2012, 05:35:11 pm »
 A genuine Yam FZS600 46 tooth sprocket (5VX-25446-00) is the same carrier fitting as the Gen 1 Fazer 1000.  As it uses the same chain there are no noise issues at all using the original front.
Makes the dam thing shift off the line & drive out of corners much better however, mainly down to the IVANS full monty, 3 degree advancer, TPS set dynamically.  No bogging at all, never checked the top end, who cares anyway.
WHAT A BIKE!!

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2012, 10:22:13 am »
Now fitted with the 15 tooth new front sprocket, new back sprocket and new gold chain.....Bloody Hell....what a difference in acceleration, absolutely brilliant would recommend it.
What I did notice was the original sprocket had a rubber mounted noise reduction fitted while the new one has not. This has caused an increase in the noise whilst pulling away......I can live with though with the improvements its made.

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2012, 04:42:48 pm »
Now fitted with the 15 tooth new front sprocket, new back sprocket and new gold chain.....Bloody Hell....what a difference in acceleration, absolutely brilliant would recommend it.
What I did notice was the original sprocket had a rubber mounted noise reduction fitted while the new one has not. This has caused an increase in the noise whilst pulling away......I can live with though with the improvements its made.
Sweet, does it feel OK at motorway speed? I am seriously considering this, they are pretty overgeared as is. Also, did you build up your own kit or source as one..? I am thinking of getting a Gold chain and Renthal or Talon anodised rear sprocket for a bit of eye candy, I am not a fan of aluminium original sprockets, they get so shitty looking quite rapidly in my experience.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2012, 05:22:44 pm »
Went for JT Sprockets and heavy duty gold chain and got my mechanic to source. I have only had a short burst on the motorway on my way home and didnt really get a chance to fully test as it was chucking it down with rain.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2012, 09:22:57 pm »
its a good mod done it to all the fazers i have owned, cheap mod
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)