Date: 15-06-24  Time: 02:07 am

Author Topic: Bike Test  (Read 1003 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Bike Test
« on: 21 September 2012, 09:21:09 am »
Reading all the posts on "When/Where?What did you learn on, I forgot to mention my actual tests. First occasion 1965 9am Monday morning Exeter test centre on really tatty Lambretta LD 150 (only 10 careless owners & well battle-scarred). The most nerve=wracking part was waiting in the room to be called out by examiner with clip board. Long story short I FAILED(cant remember why now) but I do recall feeling very depressed riding home with the L plates still on.
Second test 12 months later on smart Lambretta TV 175 and timed my arrival just before due time. This time I was confident having just come back from touring holiday 2 up with mate who had full bike licence so I was used to riding fully laden & I had built up experience/confidence so recall doing the circuits & emergency stop/hand signals/observations-it was literally 3 times round the block & a couple of Highway Code questions-then joy of joys-"Pink Slip"-and straight down County Hall to get the proper Red licence :lol [size=78%].[/size]
Have a friend (born again) who is currently going through the procedure-has done his Theory & CBT just waiting to do his on/off road at beginning of Oct.Glad I did mine when I did! :lol

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Test
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2012, 10:47:01 am »
I failed first time, not quick enough on the rear brake on the emergency stop, second test freezing fog,so it was cancelled, third time I meant to put the standard silencer back on but didn't so there I was on my starfire with a reverse cone mega on barking out when I accelerated and burbling when I shut off, I'd got the tester who didn't like motor bikes and it was thursday, he fails everybody on thursdays? anyway at the end of the test, he said the words, you've passed and the bike sounds nice with the mega on. so much for driving test myths?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2012, 10:55:04 am »
Did mine a few months ago... got a minor on my mod1 for reactions on the emergency stop... I looked down at the speedo as I was going through the speed trap, looked back up and the tester had his hand up already  :look   Mod 2 take 1... was generally ok apart from a couple of serious faults, but almost there.  Take 2... Same tester as last time, different bike, didn't get on with it, stalled on roundabout just outside the test centre (50 yards from the gate).  Turned round and went back  :o   Take 3, different tester, back on a GS500, was basically a nice ride round the B roads near Basildon  :D   Enjoyed the ride and passed with three minors.  One for positioning when exiting a roundabout (I was too far to the right), one for trailing the back brake down a hill (should've used gears) and one for hesitation (rushing is what screwed me over before so I was taking my time - prefer a minor to a serious!).

macca59

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2012, 11:04:19 am »
I did mine 12 years ago. Wanted to do it alot earlier but life got in the way for a while if you get what i mean. Anyway, i took my test in York. Did it the direct access way. Cbt Saturday, training from monday to Friday morning. Test Friday afternoon. Failed first one, something to do with not anticipating pelican crossing light's changing, still say to this day, there was no one at the crossing. But hey. Test rebooked following Tuesday pm, Had a couple of hour's practice in morning with instructor and passed test second time.
I had not really ridden a bike on the road untill this, then went out a few day's later and bought my first bike, Honda Hornet 600. Never looked backed since.