Date: 02-06-24  Time: 22:50 pm

Author Topic: Rebuild  (Read 6163 times)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild
« Reply #25 on: 24 September 2012, 08:53:02 pm »
starting to look good matey? ;) ....what black you using?....i ended up using bbq black"..real good stuff £7 tin i think off ebay?...realy stands up to the heat and stuff!! ;)

phillywilly

• DAS Born Again
  • give em a short ,sharp shock,they wont do it again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 September 2012, 08:58:18 pm »
looks very good work so far  ;) ,someone on this thread mentioned about checking drainage holes - i think mine must be blocked because after i bought my fazer i did the obligatory spark plug change and the amount of debris in the port holes was incredible,tried blowing it away before removing plugs but one was so full up of crud the plug spanner would,nt go over the shoulder of the plug ,also they (plugs ) were VERY corroded so could someone tell me where on cylinder head the drainage holes are -cos mine are so full of crap they are camoflaged and whats best tool to un-block them i.e coat hanger ect..
shine on you crazy diamond

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 September 2012, 09:00:22 pm »
Thanks! Ive used two different paints, the engine is BBQ paint, I think from Wilkos. The sprocket and other parts are painted with Hammerite. Replaced a few more parts with stainless where I can, got cleaning to do and the braided lines to fit and it's pretty much done! All I've got to hope for is that it starts!!

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 September 2012, 11:45:59 am »
The key arrived today in the post (long story) and I turned her on for the first time (giggidy). She's done less than 6000 miles!

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 September 2012, 01:05:45 pm »
UPDATE:

Decided to give it a try and see if she would start. I turned the key, heard the fuel pump go mad for a few seconds (refilling the carbs), then all went quiet. This is it, I thought, the moment of truth. Would all my hard work over the last week pay off? Would the gearbox be seized? would the cylinders have rusted out? I pulled the clutch in and pressed the starter. It sprang to life and turned the engine over with a fair bit of power (bearing in mind all I've heard for the past few days is a 50cc starter motor limping along.

Bugger.

It was turning over fine, but didn't seem to want to catch. I even heard that familiar rumble of it almost firing. Bollocks, thinks I. What on earth could it be, I've gone over everything! Then it hit me. CHOKE! I pulled the choke right out and tried again. This time on the second try it fired into life and jumped straight to about 3 or 4 thousand rpm. I brought the choke off gently and it sat happily idling away at about 1500. She smoked for a few minutes (to be expected, I'd put a drop of oil in the cylinders a few days back) and then sat there purring away. All that's left is for the brake lines to arrive and she's ready for MOT.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 September 2012, 01:10:34 pm »
magic moment  :D :D :D :D :D 
One, is never going to be enough.....

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 September 2012, 01:12:00 pm »
two success stories in one day. you're on a roll

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 September 2012, 01:12:26 pm »
I was like a kid at disneyland. I can't believe how well it's gone considering how long it was left. However I've not taken her out on the road yet, so there may be a few surprises in store! Am going to book an MOT at a garage about 20 minutes away so I have an excuse when I take her for MOT to go the long way round  :evil

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 September 2012, 12:33:36 pm »
UPDATE:

After a fiasco with braided lines, the brakes were finally completed yesterday. A brick on the rear pedal and a cable tie on the front overnight meant that this morning they were nice and firm. I took the long way round to the MOT centre at 8am, and she rides wonderfully. Just had a phone call and she's passed the MOT straight away! Time for a proper test ride I think!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 September 2012, 01:07:00 pm »
enjoy the ride home  ;) ....the long way round  :rolleyes
One, is never going to be enough.....

green_rider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 September 2012, 10:13:50 pm »
A couple of pics of the completed bike

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 September 2012, 10:19:48 pm »
looks very fresh ;) you should get a fender extender to keep the crap out of the rad and engine