Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:18 pm

Author Topic: Best brake bleeding method?  (Read 6429 times)

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Best brake bleeding method?
« on: 13 September 2012, 09:37:42 pm »
Just fitted new brake lines, bleeding them just seemed to take too long. :'(
I reverse bled them with a syringe and some clear tubing attached to the brake nipple and forced the fluid up to the master cylinder.
This helps get some fluid and pressure into the lines, but its a little messy and you still have to do the conventional pump the lever chore.

I see u can get a manual hand vacuum pump which pulls the fluid and air out of the nipple. There is also the air compressor version which seems even easier for anyone with a compressor.
Anybody use any of these for their bike and car, or any recommendations?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Best brake bleeding method?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2012, 09:44:21 pm »
personally i would not use anything to do with a compressor ?...you just might end up blowing the seals out both master cyl and brake pistons!!!!!!!!! :eek

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2012, 11:17:27 pm »
I've heard of kits you can get which act as a one-way valve at the bleed nipple - means you just undo it and stick this kit on so that the fluid is allowed out but no air can return. Makes life easier then to just pump the brake until the fluid runs through. Granted, I didn't find it terribly hard with the bike, but it would have been useful for my cage.

One other thing though, I found I had to go over all the joints for the banjos and bleed those as well - so undo the banjo a bit, pump brake (down or in depending on rear / front), tighten the banjo and then release. Basically, exactly the same as you would for the bleed nipple but do every joint. I had several air locks in the front at first when I did mine and this is what solved it.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2012, 01:20:10 pm »
Speed bleeders (also available by other names)

It's a bleed nipple that has a sprung valve inside it.  Just open the bleed nipple a 1/4 turn and pump the brake.  The valve allows the fluid/air out, but closes again to stop is sucking the air back in again. 

Got these on the car and makes bleeding the brakes and incredibly easy, one man job. 

Not sure what size the bleeders are on my calipers yet, but I will be finding out and getting myself a set in the future.

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2012, 01:40:06 pm »
I bought a speed bleeder for the bike and it is pretty shit. the tubing is a crap size, too short, too inflexible and you still end up with brake fluid everywhere...

I have this lovely task to do soon myself, but wonder if you can use a syringe to suck fluid out of the system in conjunction with one of these speed bleeders?

I need to source some more longer and more flexible tube so that the valve is further away from the bike, it might work OK then. Where is a good place to get clear tubing?

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2012, 01:51:43 pm »
you can get clear tubing from b and q in various sizes(and you buy per meter i think) you can also get tubing from car shops(for windscreen washer) or pet shop (for fish tank air line)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2012, 02:00:40 pm »
i went to the expense of a hand vacuum pump and didn't get on with it at all - it may take longer but i prefer to 'faff' around with the conventional "pump the lever chore".
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2012, 02:15:06 pm »
personally i would not use anything to do with a compressor ?...you just might end up blowing the seals out both master cyl and brake pistons!!!!!!!!! :eek
Surely the pressure generated when you squeeze the lever hard is going to be way more than what a compressor can manage?

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2012, 02:16:08 pm »
I bought a speed bleeder for the bike and it is pretty shit. the tubing is a crap size, too short, too inflexible and you still end up with brake fluid everywhere...

That must be something different to what I am talking about.  The ones I have don't have any tubing. 

The ones I am talking about just replace the bleed nipple, you still need something to bleed it into (tube + jam jar will do)

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
« Last Edit: 14 September 2012, 02:16:46 pm by Jamieg285 »

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
  • My cat climbed in and sat looking at me!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2012, 09:08:20 pm »
The final thing I always do is after bleeding the brakes, pull the front lever in and tie it firmly leaving it over night. Release it in the morning and give it a couple of pumps. It just brings the last few tiny air bubbles in the line up to the master cylinder and sharpens up the front brake.
Live life, Love life.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2012, 09:12:32 pm »
ive been using "gunsons easy bleed" for years with no problems......try the reverse bleed with a clean pump action oil can...both work well  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2012, 10:09:47 pm »
ive been using "gunsons easy bleed" for years with no problems......try the reverse bleed with a clean pump action shot gun...both work well  :D
does that really work Red ? :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2012, 11:33:19 pm »

I have this lovely task to do soon myself, but wonder if you can use a syringe to suck fluid out of the system in conjunction with one of these speed bleeders?

I need to source some more longer and more flexible tube so that the valve is further away from the bike, it might work OK then. Where is a good place to get clear tubing?

I got about 3 metres worth for £2 or something stupid from a local auto factors - even somewhere like Motaman should carry something suitable I would have thought?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2012, 07:03:32 am »
ive been using "gunsons easy bleed" for years with no problems......try the reverse bleed with a clean pump action shot gun...both work well  :D
does that really work Red ? :lol

yes its very good  :D [size=78%]......use this method when iam having trouble ,never failed me [/size] :D [size=78%]....if you think about it,bleeding brakes the normal way your trying to push air down and it wants to go up [/size] :eek [size=78%]......i bought a new pump action oil can just for this job great on cages when you cant reach the nipple and pedal at the same time and one man operation [/size] ;)
 if that fails use the gun  :rolleyes [size=78%]    [/size]
One, is never going to be enough.....