Date: 15-06-24  Time: 23:42 pm

Author Topic: Embarrassing moments!  (Read 5658 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Embarrassing moments!
« on: 13 September 2012, 12:29:55 pm »
Apart from the few times Ive dropped the bike because my foot slipped/ground sloped away when putting on side stand. usually with an audience!...The MOST EMBARRASSING & POTENTIALLY LETHAL was when I forgot to turn my left indicator off and then made a digital gesture to some poor old fella who started to pull out from a side turn into my path. Guess the moral of this tale could be "This is going to hurt me more than you!" :eek

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: Embarrassing moments!
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2012, 12:34:04 pm »
Or you could be at a bike meet, with 500-600 onlookers, laying on the floor with your bike on top of you after pulling away a bit too quickly and dropping it in the most embarassing of styles! Thankfully, not me, but my friend Chris. Oh how we laughed (after) :lol

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2012, 12:36:20 pm »
not happened to me, but a mate not long passed his test and got a gsxf suzuki. Pulled up to group of bikers in a car park and tried to act "nonchalant" as if hed been biking for years.

Pulled up beside them, stopped the bike, got off and walked away.

Me forgot a key element - use the sidestand

he got a roasting from the "audience"
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2012, 02:32:20 pm »
not happened to me, but a mate

[...]

Me forgot a key element

Typo or Freudian slip...? ;)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2012, 03:03:04 pm »
I don't suppose there can be many of us who have never crashed, overbalanced or made some sort of cock-up that has ended with our bike on its side. And it's always embarrassing.
Probably my worst was a few years ago on the switchback road that goes from Keogh Barracks towards Pirbright past the army ranges. After being held up for a while by a driver who appeared to think there was a 30mph limit I dropped back then accelerated as a short straight came into view. There was nothing coming the other way so I rocketed past him in fine style and absolutely nailed the next few bends. :D
Unfortunately, at that point I took a break from concentrating in order to mentally congratulate myself on the speed with which I'd negotiated those bends. A second later I woke up to the fact that there was a tricky off-camber downhill right-hander ahead and, as a direct result of my earlier successes, I was approaching it much faster than I'd ever attempted it before. Sensible braking was all that was required to get round it... sadly, that wasn't what I did. A boot-full of brake and fixating on the impact zone saw me lock the rear and slide ignominiously round the corner backwards leaving a trail of broken plastic in my wake.
Moments later, Mr 30mph arrived and patiently watched as I picked the bike up and cleared my debris out of his way. :o

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2012, 03:23:36 pm »
Outside where I work there's bike bays that get really busy.  I got there late once and struggled to find a gap, once I'd got in one (backed in to kerb) I had to use the centrestand as there wasn't room to lean it on the sidestand.  Since it was wet my foot slipped off the stand and as I was heaving the bike up I very nearly tipped it over away from me... there was a line of 15-20 bike there, could've gone like dominos  :eek   I just about caught it and held it up.

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2012, 11:26:48 am »
Years ago riding a superdream went to do a u-turn on a hill but a police station dropped the bike (turning downhill) had a big problem picking it up as I had to pick it "uphill" a few people around none came to help got it up thought start bike ride off quickly bloody thing would not start straight away as cars had dumped their fuel so sitting on the bike trying to start it when it did drove off feeling a right burk
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2012, 12:19:41 pm »
Years ago riding a superdream
                                                                                                                SAY NO MORE :b

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
  • My cat climbed in and sat looking at me!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2012, 12:50:35 pm »
I suppose dropping the 265kg fully loaded (Bandit) at 0 MPH on your own leg breaking it badly putting yourself out of work for 3 plus months comes close to being as embarrasing as it can be!.....It was in front of friends and thankfully a nurse filling her car with fuel......Bless her little cotton socks!
Live life, Love life.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2012, 04:31:52 pm »
I must say it is reassuring to hear your mishaps, as I have experienced a few over the years, but the most recent involved the Gen 1 Fazer I have just sold.
[/size][/color]A group of us were out on a training ride with our local IAM group, when the Trainee Observer pulled his "Associate" into a layby for a briefing. As I was overseeing, I dutifully did the same to listen in, and as soon as I put the side stand down I guessed I'd be in trouble![/font]
[/size][/color]All was fine until we were ready to leave, then as I suspected, the camber was too acute to allow me to straighten out the bike so I could get the side stand up. I heaved and I heaved, but as there was a real risk I would be left behind, had to swallow my pride and ask for some manpower, which did the trick and off we went.[/font]
[/color][/size]This was not the first time it had happened and was one of the reasons I [/color][/size]changed[/color][/size] the bike for a Gen 2, but at least if I'm on my own, I can wheel it along the road until I find a bit level enough so I can heave it upright.[/color] :o
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2012, 12:28:06 pm »
Well apart from giving a suicidal pedestrian a good long blast of my starter motor (ooops. wrong side)

Many moons ago I was on a ride out from Box Hill. All went well and I was just starting to think I could keep up with the leaders when the bike in front of me touched on the brake entering a sweeping right hander. As we were all bunched up I also had to brake which immediately stood the bike upright and headed me towards a fuck off big oak tree on the apex.
I wrestled with control and found myself doing a Thelwell pony impression along the grass verge, mostly out of contact with the bike and the ground.

I finally brought it to a a very ungraceful stop on the raised embankment and was greeted by one of the other riders informing me....................

"This aint foccing motocross y'know"  :o
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2012, 05:46:54 pm »
Well apart from giving a suicidal pedestrian a good long blast of my starter motor (ooops. wrong side)

Many moons ago I was on a ride out from Box Hill. All went well and I was just starting to think I could keep up with the leaders when the bike in front of me touched on the brake entering a sweeping right hander. As we were all bunched up I also had to brake which immediately stood the bike upright and headed me towards a fuck off big oak tree on the apex.
I wrestled with control and found myself doing a Thelwell pony impression along the grass verge, mostly out of contact with the bike and the ground.

I finally brought it to a a very ungraceful stop on the raised embankment and was greeted by one of the other riders informing me....................

"This aint foccing motocross y'know"  :o
Lol....Wot a MUPPET!....That was very funny! Thanks for that mate :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Live life, Love life.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2012, 06:00:57 pm »
i was parking my bike under a tree once and i managed to poke myself in the eye with one of the branches and over went the bike with me still clinging onto it :lol . luckily there was no damage done.

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2012, 06:10:21 pm »
S'funny really how easy it is to lose control over a bike...........You must have been branching out!.......... :lol :lol :lol
Live life, Love life.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2012, 06:12:59 pm »
oh leave off wood ya :lol

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2012, 06:18:24 pm »
It wood be nice but my roots are set!!... :rolleyes  (sorry that was bad)!!!.....
Live life, Love life.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2012, 06:26:59 pm »
yeah that was pretty bad i think we should nip this in the bud

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2012, 07:43:51 pm »
 Back in the days of my youth I had a BSA Rocket Goldstar. I stopped for some petrol, realized I was at the wrong pump tried to push the bike to the 5 star pump while standing on the right hand side of the bike (my wrong side for pushing).
The bike went away from me with me holding the throttle with both hands trying to save it; the inertia picked me off my feet and through me over the bike like a WWF wrestler.
In my jeans back pocket I had one of those solid aluminium hair combs, on impact it turned sideways in my pocket and everyone of the teeth was driven its full depth into backside.
The bike on its side I was in agony trying to pull out the comb and the people in the petrol station were pissing themselves laughing.

ATB YFM

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 September 2012, 08:04:32 pm »
And we have a winner  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2012, 08:03:32 pm »
went to do a u-turn on a hill

Ah, yes, something I tried to do having missed a turning on an Observed Ride! Not something I'll try doing again...

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2012, 08:30:01 pm »
yeah that was pretty bad i think we should nip this in the bud
Ok bud, i'll leaf it fur now.....How about yew?...(getting werserer) :'(
Live life, Love life.

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2012, 05:48:28 pm »
Ive had several, usually while standing still..

Worst one.. on a tour with a group of mates up the Highlands, I had a 600 Bandit at the time with a wing rack.. As onme of the guys was taking a pillion I offered to strap his tent and sleeeping bag on the back seat of my already overladen machine..
Stopping at Callender for a cuppa we all decided to part in a big line in the car park. Now this car park was partly on a slight hill.. as I was one of the last to arrive I opted to park on the downhill section at the end of the line.. pulls the bike up and paddles back into the end of the line with everyone else on my right everything felt good. with all the weight present I carefully put the bike on the sidestand. It felt secure so lifted the bum out the seat only to have the bike start to fall to the left due to the sudden weight transfer..
I tried to hold it up by putting my hand one the end of the bar but the weight took it right over.. The boxes saved most of the damage happening but I did end up getting pinned to the ground by my hand with the end of the bar..
It took 3 of my mates to lift the thing back up and move it to a flatter area.. lesson learned and a bit embarrassed.. couple of scrapes and a bent lever I got off light.. No-one wanted me parking next to them the whole of the trip after that..

Budgie

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2012, 06:28:03 pm »
Trouble is you don't realise how heavy the standard unladen bandit  is........and then we put every thing on them....including the kitchen sink!
Live life, Love life.

chr999chr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2012, 09:52:51 pm »
I took a break from concentrating in order to mentally congratulate myself  :rollin :rollin

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 September 2012, 12:18:32 am »
While I had my scooter...

anyway the really embarrassing bit, I "flew" around a corner past a garage with a nice looking Jag for sale. I was wondering how much it cost when my brain piped up "why not have a look?". I did and it goes without saying there was a car waiting at the zebra crossing immediately after the garage. I avoided panicking but not locking the wheels, sliding into the back of the car and launching myself into a somersault over the boot, executing a fine landing on my back in the gutter. When I went to the car owner's house to settle the repair bill he told me he'd thought he was going mad after he felt the impact and saw nothing behind him. To add to the embarrassment my dad knew the guy in the car behind me who saw the full display, said it was the funniest thing he'd seen in ages.
thou shalt not kick