Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:42 am

Author Topic: When has your 6th sense saved you?  (Read 2084 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
When has your 6th sense saved you?
« on: 07 September 2012, 09:19:06 am »
Remembered 2 separate occasions years ago. Firstly approaching green traffic light(my right of way) and suddenly felt need to slow and sure enough car crossed my path over red light & traversed junction @ speed limit (30mph). Second time was waiting @ (blind) junction for green light. Lights changed green but had "the feeling" and as I  slowly rode forward to line  lady driver  on  intersecting road drove over her red light saw me & panic braked & stopped. Ever since Ive always checked the junction R & L. The green light doesnt mean its safe to proceed. :eek  Noticed recently there are more amber gamblers and red ones thats apart from the texters & sat nav slaves!

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: When has your 6th sense saved you?
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2012, 09:24:47 am »
Never a truer word spoken, there are so many accidents and very near misses down here caused by jumper at traffic lightss, I always check, even if it is my right of way, that's no consolation if you end up on the deck!
Why is everyone in such a hurry?
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2012, 09:48:06 am »
Im a Londoner by birth & spent1st 15 years in SE. Drove professionally all over UK for a no of years and always thought driving was "better" in West Mids where Ive lived last 30 years than SE.
Unfortunately road congestion and other factors mean that theres no difference in behaviour/attitudes up here from your area if there ever was but it doesnt look like getting better anytime soon. The focus is on revenue gathering (safety? cameras etc) & with cutbacks there are very few marked police bikes/cars so the laws like use of phones while driving are a joke. Spotted a double decker bus driver using one the other day.You might see a traffic warden on a scooter with L plates but they go for easy pickings-you dont see them booking people carriers parked on zig-zag lines outside schools. Why do all kids have to be driven to the school gates usually by Mums in massive SUVs etc who cant park/reverse/see what theyre doing?  :eek :'( [size=78%] [/size]

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2012, 09:59:11 am »
Red-Light jumpers are rife here in Horwich. It happens frequently at two particular junctions and has taught me not to fire off as soon as that amber goes on (which we're all sometimes guilty of)  :lol
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2012, 10:26:35 am »
Try driving through sarf London. you need 360 degree vision at all times and expect to be pulled out on frequently.

I once got a load of abuse from an old lady in an electric wheel chair who pulled out on me going round Brixton...

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2012, 12:02:19 pm »
Over the years I have often had this kind of premonition which has saved me.

My latest pet hate is people, normally in big domestic tanks, who cross over white or double white lines to short cut a bend???

Why does it never occur to their selfish, pea sized intellects that if the oncoming driver does the same, disaster is unavoidable.
I find myself needing to take avoiding action more and more frequently.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2012, 01:22:07 pm »
About three or four years ago (before I got any Advanced Training before anyone starts...!) I was riding up the M3 on the long straight section approaching Winchester and, unusually, my concentration drifted.

I suddenly realised that I was on the brakes and for a moment I had *no* idea why until I looked ahead and noticed that all the traffic up ahead had slowed and, had my subconscious not taken over it could have been rather nasty!

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2012, 01:59:44 pm »
So you're admitting that was your fault Graham? Mwahahahahaahaaa  :pokefun

Sorry mate - if I hadn't done it, some other immature person would have  :lol
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Revilo18

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2012, 04:41:29 pm »
A scooter jumped a red at some very closely timed lights and I remember thinking, as mine went green, I'll just wait a little - Igot a honk form the car behind just before the scooter came screaching across the lights at about 50! If I hadn't have waited there'd be two very bruised people.
Scooter got his just desserts though becuase on the other side of the lights was a police bike (never there when you need them excpet this time) and as I finally pulled away, blessing my sixth sense, I saw him being pulled over and the bike cop was shouting at him with his flipfront up and waving his finger.
Sorry mate but that's what happens when you nearly kill people to save yourself 30 seconds!!
See you on the A3...

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2012, 08:48:47 am »
Ashby road head towards A444 / M42 services a couple of weeks ago, nice afternoon for a ride out.

About 0.5 miles before the main traffic island I was stuck behind an old R reg ford galaxy, adult male driving, UK plates, presume wife in passenger side. On the last right hand section, blind right hand bend entry, to the island the driver just swerved into the right hand, oncoming, lane without indication or warning. 2 bikers on sports bikes came around the corner and had to make some serious lane changes to avoid. You could see the fear in their eyes as they passed me with WTF! gestures to the driver. Said driver then put on his hazards and pulled over to side of road. I rode past and beeped horn, slowed, shake of head and away. Still not sure why he did it, road markings are very obvious.

Just had a feeling to hold back and stay out of the way. Spider sense or whatever :)

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2012, 11:27:41 pm »
Over the years I have often had this kind of premonition which has saved me.........

Every single day on my commute to work  :rolleyes

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2012, 08:44:36 am »
its so common these days...you really do have to look ahead, anticipate worst case scenarios etc. Only yesterday, 2 miles from home, I was approaching a junction( I had right of way), and I noticed a grey golf waiting to turn out ...yes you guessed it ...it pulled straight out in front of me! I swerved right , then the idiot swerved right too, into where I was heading . I just missed the fool...then noticed he had kids in the car too. I had my bright jacket and headlights on, and the GS is no small bike...and I was not going fast.

I dont know the answer, but you just have to keep concentrating, and maintain a defensive posture on the road.

My other pet hate is blind bends, I see so many cars and bikes hurtle into them, yet on many occasions I have seen stationary traffic, parked cars, turning vehicles etc just past them....it does make you think, no matter what your level of experience and training ...it could be you next they pile into !...sobering thought.... :\

Revilo18

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2012, 03:06:47 pm »
Only go as fast and the clear distance you can see allows you - seeing is believing. Best tip I ever got.
See you on the A3...