Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:17 pm

Author Topic: BLOKES COOKING....  (Read 6254 times)

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
Re: BLOKES COOKING....
« Reply #25 on: 09 September 2012, 02:54:43 pm »
This thread made me smile the comments of hard work stressful etc. Done a bit of this myself.... well about 23 years of it in fact mainly in hotels my last post was sous chef in a Marriott 4* hotel. It is great fun at Christmas when you have banquits for 300 at lunch then again for dinner Monday to Saturday (thank fully only for a week or so less before and it calms down after) 6 Nations were great (worked in Cardiff) England V Wales always a big game restaurant full lunch and dinner (130 ish) BQ full lunch and dinner (200-300) meeting rooms also full about another 150 ish buffet before hand and curry post match brigade of about 8 per shift and two for b/fast at the end of days like that you know all about it  :b we did "cheat" a little we used to put on a limited menu in the bar but room service was as normal.
Soups a great way to start quick easy and so much better than tins.
Most important is have fun doing it
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

PlasticHarry

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR 750G
    • View Profile
    • Tyne Valley Plastics Ltd
« Reply #26 on: 09 September 2012, 10:10:44 pm »
Quote Major Rant:  "Cooking ... its ENGINEERING with FOOD !"

Try here: www.cookingforengineers.com/

It's American but quite good for those who also want to know "why?"!

Cheers
H

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 September 2012, 09:37:26 am »
Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at http.

Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of
    www.example.com
  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 September 2012, 09:59:54 am »
Link is missing the :

Try this one http://www.cookingforengineers.com
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

PlasticHarry

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR 750G
    • View Profile
    • Tyne Valley Plastics Ltd
« Reply #29 on: 13 September 2012, 08:27:07 pm »
Thanks Buzz...

H

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: 14 September 2012, 10:22:29 am »
DX, having spent around two nights a week for the last 14 months staying in a Marriot, I would say that the quality of the food is OK but the menu choice is so limited there that as a chef you must be bored stupid.

I do all I can these days to avoid eating there as there are only so many Marriot Burgers you can eat in a lifetime!
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 September 2012, 11:00:55 am »
Yes I was 6 month menu changes were OK but still got pissed off making the same stuff all the time the only saving grace was the "chefs specials menu" this was usually a 4 starter 4 main and 4 dessert menu written daily with what ever I could get for the day this was eventually stopped by head office as it was out selling the corporate menu buy about 9-1 they were not happy so they ended up stopping it but still took one off orders when ever we could. We would get the " can you do cottage pie" YES can you do me a steak tartar YES could you do me a Dover sole Yes but tomorrow as we don't carry any in stock, to be honest people like your self who were long term guest were great as after a short period you have eaten the items you liked off the menu and wanted something different which was great as it gave us a change. There was a little variety as we used to do a carvery on occasions as well as the Exec lounge freebies sometimes moving over to banquitting was a change for a day but even those menus only changes about every 6 months. Quality of the food varies massively from Marriott to Marriott it should not but it does, I have worked in a few in this country helping out or going there to see new menus or procedures being used, I worked for a while at the Glasgow hotel at the time the brigade was mainly a team brought buy the then head chef from a country house hotel which had 3 rosettes add to this more staff working the shifts and the food was great freshly made bread every shift in fact every thing was made on site, great food made fresh cooked by good chefs then off to London SAME menu no where near as good less staff lower quality of staff as well, more bought in no real care taken, just get the food out with out much care. Not the way I like to work would rather take extra time and get it right, talking to the guests was a part of my daily shift checking on how they liked the food what we could do to make it better talking about what they would like to see/ or have (long term guests) that we could arrange for them. Now working for some where like Marriott is good for job security, working environment and training BUT the main problem is they are very controlling when it comes to what you do, this was highlighted when Whitbread (who owned 90% of Marriott's in this country via franchise) sold the hotels which then passed to Marriott although we still worked in a "Marriott" things changed a lot and not everything was for the better, our scope for personalising our menu went right down, no chefs special menus more central purchasing of products, even something as simple as the cheese board was specified as Stilton, brie and Cheddar we were not allowed to put any Welsh cheese on the board up until then we were offing about 6-8 cheeses of which 3 could be chosen the usual suspects were there but we had local or special cheeses for choice this was all stopped, we did have a little cheat as our BQ menu was Welsh themed so we could get away with buying some Welsh product but as head office could check every invoice they could see everything we bought and we were pulled a couple of times due to this.

Sorry for the ramble most people do not understand that as a chef in a chain what ever it may be your hands are tied to a degree.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 September 2012, 05:08:21 pm »
I knew I was doing the right thing coming on this site! 8)
[/size][/color]Guys are often far better cooks, so it's great to have some new recipes to try.[/font]
[/size][/color]The grub in France was interesting, as everyone (apart from me) brought something along to add to the lunch, and with plenty of vino it was great.[/font]
[/size][/color]Thanx guys[/font] :)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 September 2012, 11:53:10 pm »
Here's an interesting (Yamaha) take on cooking!

Yamaha Motors Vehicle Bento Cooking Show -- Part 1

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 September 2012, 09:36:46 am »
Interesting!

Not sure about the chopped up stick though...