Date: 16-06-24  Time: 01:58 am

Author Topic: Winter gloves  (Read 7548 times)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Winter gloves
« on: 27 August 2012, 03:09:25 pm »
I know, it's not time yet! 

But just thinking ahead, any one got any preferences on winter gloves? Last winter I used a pair of police R4 gloves from Silvermans with a pair of merino wool gloves on underneath when the temperature got below 3 or 4. Lowest temperature used was -2 on a dry day round the M25 and after 40 mins I was just about ready to cry with pain.

This winter I'm thinking of fitting heated grips and getting a pair of decent winter gloves, anyone got any preferences?

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Winter gloves
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2012, 03:21:55 pm »
downsides :
if you have winter gloves they are usually thicker and therefore the heated grips take longer for the heat to come through.

heated grips heat up your palms - knuckle side up is still bloody freezing.

You can actually get clothing that is heated (plugs into the battery/power supply) that may keep you warmer all over as opposed to hands.

good luck - you are a braver man than  me - i like my comforts!!!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2012, 03:43:26 pm »
It's just hands, really, everything else's OK mostly.

I had heated grips on a previous bike but never really had the chance to try them out properly in the cold but know what you mean about the effect of the hot, sweaty palms! Normally the pain starts in  my fingertips but not sure what you could do about that and don't fancy bar muffs.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2012, 05:10:50 pm »

Hi i have heated grips and use them all through the winter, they do help. in the coldest of weather I also wear these gloves.
http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/shop/products/motorcycle_gloves/jts/winter_gloves/jts_leather_motorcycle_2_fingered_gloves/black.html

Even with snow on the ground I m not left crying from cold hands. I once went to Mablethorpe on 2 January average temp was 2 deg I did not have the heated grips it took several days for my hands to stop tingling, so the heated grips were bought and fitted, I use them even on milder days at a low setting.
I think that the warmth in your palms means the blood gonig into your fingers has got to be warmer.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2012, 08:31:53 pm »
I've got a pair of Ixon gloves (don't know the exact name of the pair I have), and they're seldom beaten by cold, but not so thick that they limit feel, IIRC I paid about £25 for them (although they're not armoured, if thats a deal-breaker). Them, plus heated grips FTW.

I have a pair of Spada gloves, but whilst warm, I don't rate them on the bike; they're to bulky, and they do limit feel.

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2012, 08:50:26 pm »
I have a pair of waterproof thick insulated gloves, takes a bit of getting used to , new grip feeling but ok, and safe, a must in the cold,but could try taking some lining out on thegrip side to let the heated grips work,

Hein grieike membrane,very very good.

I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2012, 05:11:39 pm »
Now leaning towards Oxford sports grips and perhaps the Spada gloves, it's got to be better than the train,,,,

Khaotik

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2012, 09:32:13 pm »
I installed Symtec heated grips:

http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/product.php/116/symtec-motorcycle-heated-grip

They work well for when I'm using summer gloves and things turn a bit nippy. But when it's a proper cold day then out come my Held goretex gloves which add warmth without too much bulk:

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_2944_Warm_N_Dry_Gore-Tex_Motorcycle_Gloves?sc=65&category=600350

They are pricey but worth it if you ride regularly in the cold. I can still feel the controls and feedback from the handlebars

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2012, 07:14:02 pm »
I'll put in my usual plug for Gerbing Heated Gloves. Yes, they're pricey, but they heat all the way down the fingers and, more importantly, they warm the *back* of the fingers that heated grips don't.

Even on a low setting they're good for an hour and a half's ride back to Portsmouth from London late at night when it's only just above freezing.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2012, 11:17:23 am »
Just had a look.

Oxford heated grips + decent winter gloves = more than the cost of the heated gloves, result!

Seen them as low as £100 so it's got to be worth it.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2012, 11:21:17 am »
Just had a look.

Oxford heated grips + decent winter gloves = more than the cost of the heated gloves, result!

Seen them as low as £100 so it's got to be worth it.

I got my Oxford heated grips for £45 at the ingliston bike show m8 (talked him down from £60). might also be worth checking Ebay
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
I'll put in my usual plug for Gerbing Heated Gloves. Yes, they're pricey, but they heat all the way down the fingers and, more importantly, they warm the *back* of the fingers that heated grips don't.

Even on a low setting they're good for an hour and a half's ride back to Portsmouth from London late at night when it's only just above freezing.

Is it the battery ones you have then?
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2012, 01:03:16 pm »
The ones I was looking at wire into the bike electrical circuit like hot grips, just got to remember to unplug them before walking away from the bike  :lol

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2012, 03:20:24 pm »
I'll put in my usual plug for Gerbing Heated Gloves.

Is it the battery ones you have then?

No, there's a lead to the bike's battery (obviously you only use them when you're riding!)

There are two options for setting the temperature, a simple and cheap off/ low/ medium/ high switch or a more expensive variable controller that gives precise control.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2012, 03:56:48 pm »
wired mine to the lighting wiring so only come on when engines working so no F***er can ''''accedentially'''' turn them on and drain your battery also comes in handy when selling your bike ;)

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 August 2012, 07:42:06 pm »
I've been looking at gerbing and a few other makes over the last couple of years, but i will defo need to invest in a set this year as i can't handle cold hands every morning.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2012, 01:03:55 am »
I've been looking at gerbing and a few other makes over the last couple of years, but i will defo need to invest in a set this year as i can't handle cold hands every morning.

The Gerbing gloves are good even without the heating, with the heating they're excellent :)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2012, 09:42:36 am »
I have always used Heated Grips (Oxford Sports more recently) and Alpinestars Goretex Gloves. If you buy gloves which don't have a Goretex (or similar) lining, they will surely leak during long trips in the rain. I've had shitloads of different gloves which were labelled "waterproof" and most of them were far from it.

No matter which gloves you buy, when the outer leather is sodden with water, they feel heavy and miserable. When you have Heated Grips, you always have the option of switching over to another pair of spare gloves - but you don't get that option if your choice of heating is the gloves themselves.

I know lots of people will be saying "Yes, but who rides in shit conditions like that"? Well that's true apart from when you're on a touring holiday and have no choice. Or if your bike is your only form of transport.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 August 2012, 10:23:37 am »
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=25

A miracle! Really!

Would make a tea bag waterproof,,,,,

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2012, 10:26:47 am »
wired mine to the lighting wiring so only come on when engines working so no F***er can ''''accedentially'''' turn them on and drain your battery also comes in handy when selling your bike ;)

Thought the gloves had to be plugged in before they drew current,,,,,,

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: 31 August 2012, 11:23:00 am »
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=25 A miracle! Really! Would make a tea bag waterproof,,,,,

:rolleyes  That stuff's only really effective on decent waterproof gloves with a Goretex type lining - it helps to stop the outer leather from becoming sodden. On "regular" gloves, it's next to useless, cos the water will just come through the seams and stiching. 
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 August 2012, 03:38:28 pm »
ive noticed my so called waterproof textile gloves get sodden now even with wiping water just off the seat need a new pair soon as the lining comes out too :'(

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 August 2012, 06:30:45 pm »
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=25

Would make a tea bag waterproof,,,,,

Erm, I tried that on my new Alpinestars summer gloves last Monday coming back from Birmingham and, regrettably, although it probably did some good, my hands still got wet and the leather was soaked through and took three days to try out fully!

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 August 2012, 11:09:11 pm »
Gerbins looks interesting. I have had serious problems with my fingertips last winter - that's with a fairly thick but cheapish Buffallo textile glove and coldkillers liner - I used to run into work in absolute agony and hold my hand under hot water to get some feeling back and to kill the stinging and burning sensation.

I think I will try those Gerbins this year. For waterproofing, if you are stuck, just wear a larger size thin latex gloves over your good gloves - sure it wouldn't be breathable, but it surely will be waterproof!!

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2012, 01:00:25 am »
Brush guards, heated grips, spada enforcer winter gloves, (or now Triumph waterproof gloves - not as warm but ok) and heated jacket liner keep me going all winter.
Not tried heated gloves though.