Date: 17-06-24  Time: 20:41 pm

Author Topic: return to the fazer 1000  (Read 2386 times)

lingy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
return to the fazer 1000
« on: 16 August 2012, 05:52:04 pm »
Hy there, new to the site have just registered today.

After a spell away from the fazer, (zx12r for just over a year), I coundnt stand it any longer, so bye bye zx and hello 2004 fazer 1000.
I previously had a fazer but just fancied a try of the power of the Kawasaki, eventually got sick of it drinking fuel like it was going out of fashion and aching arms and shoulders.
Picked up a bargan mint std bike, promised myself I would leave as is, as their pretty good in std form, but two weeks later couldnt resist I have ordered a road leagal Pipe Werx can which has arrived today and I am very impressed with (not yet fitted) but looks very good quality.
To go one step further because I will not settle until Ive tried it, I have ordered a Ivans slip on kit which I will be fitting myself.
I just hope its as good as they say because I have had numerious bikes in the past which have had dynojet kits and power comanders etc fitted and to be honest yes some did make a small differance but £for£ was it worth it probably not.

Anyway hello everyone its nice to be back on the fazer. :)

chitsu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: return to the fazer 1000
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2012, 06:05:11 pm »
Welcome to the site  :D

Ive allways fancied a ZX12 as there supposed to be a bit of animal ?

Anyway the Ivans jet kit is the way to go ive had several fazers over the years a few standard, one with a dyno jet kit (this was awful) and 2 now with the Ivans kits.
They are fairly easy to install providing you are patient (the last one I did I spent about 3 or so hours on it), and are definetely worth the small price, not only in performance (they make the bike a lot more tractable) but also the economy. I was out 2 up riding fairly sedately and managed 200 miles on a tank before panic filling and only managed to get some 16 litres back in  :\

Theres plenty of threads & info on the Ivans kits so dont be afraid ask any questions or use the search function.

Ride safe, chitsu.

lingy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2012, 06:18:24 pm »
Thanks Chitsu.

You have answered one of my concerns ref fuel usage.

I have already printed off the step by step guide which seems very comprehensive.

Yes the zx12 is a beast once opened up but a bit heavy in every day general use.

lingy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2012, 05:46:23 pm »
Ahh spoke to soon, went to fit the new pipe werx exhaust and it seems to be a problem with link pipe. When fitted in the correct position the end can ends up against the swining arm. :'(
Anyone else had a similar experiance.

Going to contact pipe werx Monday, hopefully they can shed some light on this.     

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2012, 09:59:24 pm »

Hi mate hope you enjoy your new bike.  :)

Anyway the Ivans jet kit is the way to go ive had several fazers over the years a few standard, one with a dyno jet kit (this was awful) and 2 now with the Ivans kits.
They are fairly easy to install providing you are patient (the last one I did I spent about 3 or so hours on it), and are definetely worth the small price, not only in performance (they make the bike a lot more tractable) but also the economy. I was out 2 up riding fairly sedately and managed 200 miles on a tank before panic filling and only managed to get some 16 litres back in  :\ 
Ride safe, chitsu.

chitsu I have it on good authority that if all the above isn't true-with-nobs-on MaddogMcQ will be feeling very grumpy next week.  :lol

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2012, 10:36:40 pm »

Hi mate hope you enjoy your new bike.  :)

Ride safe, chitsu.

chitsu I have it on good authority that if all the above isn't true-with-nobs-on MaddogMcQ will be feeling very grumpy next week.  :lol

You have fitted the mounting strap to the outside of the pillion foot rest (see photo) as some people have tried to put it on the inside, the can or link pipe can then touch the swing arm.

Make sure al the fittings are loose and then twist the link pipe and can to get everything lined up.

Of course they may have sent you the wrong link pipe and can

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2012, 07:38:47 am »
I have the full monty on my gen1, gives 139 at the rear wheel with a race can.Bags of mid range( best 1000 cc 4 cyl I have ever ridden), and yes you will get good fuel economy if you ride like a monk...but use the throttle and revs, and it will drink the fuel like any other bike.It takes a lot of restraint ....as the engine is just eager to go....

lingy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2012, 08:22:39 pm »
Thanks Tmation, but have already though of this and have double checked everything but still touches.

Have spoke to pipewerx and sent some photographs and they are looking into it.

Will post the outcome, once resolved.