Date: 01-06-24  Time: 16:01 pm

Author Topic: sat nav hook up  (Read 1498 times)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
sat nav hook up
« on: 28 July 2012, 06:47:55 pm »
Well my trusty old tomtom 1 has finaly died  :\
I used to hook it up to my in helmet speakers via a 3.5mm jack to hear the directions. but when out looking for a new satnav today i hit a snag..... they no longer have jack plugs lol

the cheap ones dont have any way to hook up other than thier internal speaker and it gets expensive once you look at blue tooth.

I finaly bit the bullet and got a Garmin Nuvi 2595 lm with euro maps and life time updates free.
this has blue tooth and seemed a good deal (£150 including a case, life time euro maps)

Now i am going to get a bar mount case like the one i have for my phone as i have been happy with that, and i have a 12v socket on the bike to so both of those angles are covered.
But at 100% volume i cant hear anything once over 20mph lol

There seems to be a couple of options

1 Buy a bluetooth reciver to 3.5mm jack like this ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220970372152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ) the plus side is it can just plug in to my existing in helm speakers via the jack and its cheap. the down side is i cant use the speach softwear on the sat nav or make calls on the phone that can link to the satnav to.

2 is to spend out on a proper in helm bluetooth kit. these seem to vairy a LOT from £40 - £350+ and i would imagin you get what you pay for. i dont use it enough to fork out huge amounts of cash so mine would be a budget version.

3 buy a blue tooth helmet..... not gunna happen as i just got my shoei qwest lol and like it.

4 buy an on bike set like the intercome things. again cost is the issue here.

any other ideas? cost is one of the main factors with £50 really my max unless its really really worth spending more, though i would prefer to spend much less lol

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: sat nav hook up
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2012, 10:30:38 pm »
I spent ages trying to come up with a solution for a similar problem - answering the phone on the bike via bluetooth. I manged it in the end and then realised I couldn't be arsed riding about chatting to people on the phone and preferred just ignoring everyone. This is what I got

Its a bluetooth setup with a single earpiece and a mic on your throat. If you use a neck tube wind noise doesn't interfere and you can have a reasonable conversation. Not sure if its for you but you are welcome to borrow it to have a go.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2012, 10:59:29 pm »
I think the key for me isnt the phone but the sat nav instructions. no one ever calls me anyway :(
just brought a realy cheap bluetooth - 3.5mm jack reciver £6 to plug in to my exsisting in helm speakers. doubt it will be much good at £6 but will give me an idea.
thx for the offer though and if this is an epic fail then i may take you up on that. sadly i think it will be trial and error till i find something thats A) loud enough and B) simple to use/charge

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2012, 07:33:33 am »
is that ur missus modelling it !

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2012, 08:30:18 am »
This is not a very helpful post but one of the main reasons I enjoy riding is it's a good excuse not to answer the phone, have a belly full of them while at work so I'll be damned if i'm answering on my time :) If it's the wench then I call when I have stopped, told her the time to start worrying is if she does get a phonecall when I'm out as that'll mean I came off :(

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2012, 02:16:13 pm »
I have a midland BT PMR radio but after 45 mph you just can't hear it, the rechargable battery only last a couple of hours as well great idea but not too good in reality could be improved.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2012, 07:06:40 pm »
The Cardo Bluetooth headset that comes with the TomTom Rider v2 I have has a built in system whereby it compensates for road/ wind noise. so when you're puttering around at 30mph it's not shouting in your ear, but when you're out on the fast stuff it automatically boosts the volume to keep it audible.

Ok, it's a bit expensive, but it's very handy.