Date: 26-06-24  Time: 15:48 pm

Author Topic: Stretched chain and long miles?  (Read 3615 times)

blue_faz600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Stretched chain and long miles?
« on: 14 July 2012, 12:09:27 pm »
I have a question guys, my chain is stretched to buggery and I have ordered new chain, sprockets and the new 12mm nut  but I will not have time to fit the new gear before I head off on a little trip down south west! Will the chain last about 500miles round trip?

The chain has been adjusted to its tightest point @ 35mm however at its loosest point it's more like 50mm! It causes a surging on a closed throttle, so is it likely to snap on my upcoming journey?

Cheers for any advice guys :)

virtual bodysnatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Stretched chain and long miles?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2012, 12:31:22 pm »
Give it a good old lube and join the AA (other roadside rescue companies are available)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2012, 12:57:48 pm »
You're actually telling us it's 'buggered'!!!!  :rolleyes

I'd imagine it will start getting lumpy the more you ride it, add that to the fact it sounds like you still have an original 'possibly faulty' sprocket nut and i'd personally say you are taking a bit of a chance!

It possibly will last out, but it'll be on your mind all the time and will spoil the fun!

Nobody can, or would even want to give you a definitive answer to your question, it's a matter of 'fingers crossed', or get it sorted for peace of mind and safety.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2012, 06:08:48 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2012, 02:00:45 pm »
i personally wouldnt trust a dodgy chain as if it were to fail the best could happen if it breaks is it goes at slow speed and slip off but what if it flys off and hits someone or locks your back wheel up and throws you off the bike!
they dont take long to fit or pay someone to fit if you havnt got tools etc,just my opinion as it could be ok 

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2012, 02:21:03 pm »
Having made a "it'll be alright for this trip" decision a few years back, I will never do it again. My chain stretched loads while on the way to Assen in 2009, each time we stopped somewhere for petrol etc, I could hear the sounds it making get worse. On the way back it stripped all the teeth from the front sprocket. I was very lucky to be able to limp the bike back to the ferry (having tightened the chain far beyond what its supposed to be, to get some purchase on what was left of the teeth), it could have been far worse. As others have said, snapping chain enters rear wheel, horror story.

Don't gamble with the chain, if its buggered, its buggered. End of.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2012, 05:03:03 pm »
Not something I'd take a chance on - if you're going on a long trip you want to be know the bike will be up to it; even if it doesn't break, you might find you have to change it during your trip anyway.

Is it feasible to alter your trip date slightly? Or put it in to a garage and see if you can get a rental bike to cover you?

virtual bodysnatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2012, 05:49:08 pm »
You measure slack at tightest point, not loosest, if you do that then that's where you'd deffo wear the chain/wear teeth out or even bend the drive shaft or stop the full suspension movement if it's super tight, slack's there to take account of suspension movement, I thought about 20-30mm was a fair loose-ness but look at the manual, that'll tell you as it varies by swing-arm length, the longer the arm the more slack you'll have, 15mm difference twixt tight and loose isn't a massive amount tho' is it. Has anyone heard of a modern chain snapping? They're immensely strong and it's endless isn't it so's a swing-arm out job. In the old days some people would take a link out of a worn chain to make it shorter so's it'd be back in the adjustment zone!! Bear in mind most bikes wouldn't worry the skin off a rice pudding back then tho'

BTW chains don't stretch, they wear, metal doesn't elongate, least-ways not at the temperature a bike chain runs at, it's the bearing surfaces inside the links being ground away creating a tolerance which lubing counteracts and water makes worse where it transports all that road dirt into the bearing, on a long wet and mucky run the chain can be worn quite a bit as richfzs says, going to Assen - probably rained like beggery!! On an o ring chain the lube's in there for life and the water's kept out until the o ring fails which is probably where modern chains get such differences in wear pattern where some o rings last better than others.

You can check how worn a chain is by getting the most worn part on the rear sprocket, keeping it taught by pushing the bottom run up and seeing how far off the rear sprocket the link at the rearmost part of the sprocket will pull off, a new chain shouldn't move much if at all, a bit of movement is ok but if it can be pulled clear of the teeth then it'd be best not to ride it far as that might happen when you're on the move......

Cush drive rubbers wear too and they create lots of clunkiness, I'd have a butchers' at that while the wheel's adrift.

Best idea is a rental bike, ahh just been suggested, try an FZ1s, they've got a bit of shunt and not too shabby through the twisty bits  :)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2012, 07:10:40 pm »
Take all the kit with you???
Surely not that many tools etc required. and then do it in an evening.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2012, 07:25:22 pm »
Obviously it's preferable to replace before the trip, but if you can ride with a gentle right hand, particularly in lower gears, and keep the speed down to legal levels you'll probably be OK.
As V. Bodysnatcher says, modern chains are pretty tough: I've done a far greater distance than you're planning on a chain which actually had a broken side-plate! (In my defence, I had inspected it several times to investigate the slight rhythmic clunk I could feel before the crack became wide enough to see.)

blue_faz600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2012, 09:49:04 pm »
Thanks to all you for your advice/insight and experiences!

I obviously would love to change it prior to the trip if I had that luxury, but I don't so it's either do the trip and go easy on the chain or abort the trip? I have ordered all the gear from Fowlers and I thought it would have got here in time to change out but I was wrong! It's my fault for not getting it done sooner, but I think it has atleast another 500miles left in it.

So I have decided to take the trip and deal with anything that happens along the way! Touchwood it's all ok!

This might be a good way to see how tuff modern chains are? I will let you guys know how everything goes and thanks all again :)   

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2012, 10:10:12 pm »
Good Luck! take lube and tools to adjust the chain, keep a close eye on it, and avoid wheelies ;)

blue_faz600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2012, 11:54:17 pm »
Thanks Rich :) already packed the lube and tools and I think I can avoid wheelies for a few days! lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2012, 02:07:47 am »
The fact that you asked the question meant there was a problem ! ! !

Who goes on a forum without a problem?  :rolleyes

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2012, 10:28:02 am »
*points to "Show me your fazer!" thread*

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2012, 11:42:22 am »
Ha ha, point taken  :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSX1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 July 2012, 06:31:46 pm »
As a last resort and ONLY if it's got a very limited life until you are going to change it, plus I'm assuming you are awaiting parts which is why you cant change it plus you have the tools to do the job?

I've done this for a few customers in the past.

Split the chain and remove a link, refit using a NEW soft link it will easily last 500 miles.   
Later

blue_faz600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2012, 01:13:26 am »
Alright, time for an update!

I did the trip and I'm not sure what I was worried about! It did it easy, but I have parked it up until I have the time to fit the new chain , sprockets and 12mm front sprocket nut!

For the benefit of others, the chain wore considerably on the journey to the point where I was worried it might jump off the sprocket due to how much slack was in the chain by the end of the trip, but there was adjustment left in it so I re adjusted and all was well! However like I said, I have parked it up for now!

The chain is a renthal and although there is more adjusting left in it, the chain has worn very un-even in its 12,000mile life, I would not recommend a Renthal chain to anyone! I have purchased a OEM Yamaha item to put on the bike so hopefully that fairs much better!

Take it easy guys!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2012, 09:35:32 am »

:thumbup Glad to hear it survived the trip OK, but yes... 12,000 is a very poor lifetime for a chain.
A decent one with a regular supply of lubrication should last 2 to 3 times that distance.

blue_faz600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 July 2012, 08:32:40 pm »
Hi guys,

Just an update! Changed the chain and sprockets today and had a general strip down, clean and lube session whilst the bike was in bits, and the OEM kit is SO AWESOME! My bike feels brand new! Worth the extra dosh!

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 July 2012, 09:11:14 pm »
Glad it survived the trip and thanks for the update. Out of curiosity did the OEM kit have the front sprocket that has the plastic cushion thing on it?

blue_faz600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2012, 09:34:45 pm »
Yeah mate it does! Definitely dampens the sound from the chain down! Also the chain is an endless chain, so if you don't want to break the link to fit it, then your swing arm will need to come out! I cut the link off and used the split link provided to re-join!