Date: 21-06-24  Time: 21:40 pm

Author Topic: fork rebuild  (Read 2414 times)

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
fork rebuild
« on: 12 June 2012, 09:43:24 pm »

Hi,
    Has anyone on this site used these, or know anyone that has. need to get my r1 forks done before fitting. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190594166841?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: fork rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2012, 09:51:10 pm »
no but I have used Brook Suspension who advertise on Ebay and they were great.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2012, 12:15:24 am »
yes i have i had the full ohlins R1 replica jobbies including valves - springs - gold anodiz - gold nitride the works and there bloody nice, i also had another set of r1 forks done there on my mates bike now, Andy the owner is x-racer and set my forks up out the bike near enough perfect and i haggled a deal because i had to wait longer due to the anodizer, when i first went there i thought oh fook as the building is in a back street and looks abit rundown but dont let that put you off, there's lots of bike forums that speak highly of firefox and there fork servicing/rebuilds.

Dave  :D

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2012, 08:44:48 am »
Is it not a bit expensive for what is effectively a pair of seals and new oil??

If you wanted uprated springs, valves, and anodizing like Cable-Tie, then you might wanna farm the job out, but if it's just seals and oil, you could do it yourself  for next to nothing. Just my opinion  :o

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2012, 09:02:47 am »
Normally I'd agree with DIY, but you need a special Yamaha tool to take 'em apart & last time I checked Fowlers quoted me £84 for it. Disassembly is not quite as simple or as cheap as a pair of RWU forks....

I have since knocked up my own cheapo tool to take them apart, but thought it needed mentioning

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2012, 11:08:16 am »
You can buy the tool from others such as Reactive Suspension but it's still £50........ and the hand held tool is a complete PITA to use single handed.

I have a home made USD compressor, copy of a Racetech type tool, that is alot easier to use on your own but still not "simple".

Is it just oil or seals as well you're looking for? If seals then you probably need to replace the bushes too.

That £99 is money well spent as the forks are an arse to work on.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2012, 12:38:51 pm »
....... the forks are an arse to work on.

Ah well, if that's the case, might be a good idea to use them. I've not worked on R1 forks, so I got a little ahead of myself there  :rolleyes
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2012, 09:17:06 pm »

Thanks for the quick replys,  I am going for the revalve and spring and  seals, as the forks were a ebay purchase, the seller did say he had put new seals on , but you never can be sure, plus they only cost me £40, so i dont mind spending a bit more on them, i would rather know its done properly, as it is a pretty vital part of the bike :eek .  If it were just the seals and oil i would still use them, when you way up the price, verses the hasle and tool and parts price. Cable i will use firefox, mcyoungy, i think they will check the bushes when they take them apart.kebab  thanks for the info.

Tex
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2012, 09:19:17 pm »
i had a set of R1 5pw forks and one leg was leaking from the seal, i stripped and fitted a new seal without any special tools twas piece of pish to do and thats coming from a novice.

Dave.  :D

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2012, 09:52:15 pm »
you must be gifted mate, or the forks may be a different design to the 4XV/5JJ ones.............. likely the former.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2012, 10:49:41 pm »
you must be gifted mate, or the forks may be a different design to the 4XV/5JJ ones.............. likely the former.

Lets forget about the Former,  and stick with the GIFTED  :b 

Andrew1967

• Cager in Training
  • Fazer1000 Gen1 2005 and Squire Sidecar
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yam 500cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2012, 03:45:59 pm »
I also made up my own 'special tool #7'. I stay in Hinckley, so if you're colse and want to lend it, no problem. If it's just seals and oil you want to change, it's a piece of piss to do, even for a back yard mechanic !

FRCo.UK.