Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:18 pm

Author Topic: are these any good?  (Read 2695 times)

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
are these any good?
« on: 28 May 2012, 09:34:39 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360457843158?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

if they shine as brightly as the blurb suggests they might be excellent! if nobody has tried them i'll give them a go and report back...
is it clean enough?

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: are these any good?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2012, 11:33:16 pm »
Dunno. There's a few bods on the ZX14R forum who've fitted HID kits to their machines. I haven't done it myself, but a lot of them seem very happy with the results

http://www.zx14r.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=6507
http://zzr1400.wordpress.com/tag/zzr1400/

£25 quid and a couple of bulbs seems very good value. The only problem I see is that the Fazer's main problem is fork dive when riding in the dark. I've been wondering if fitting lights lower on the chassis might be an idea, perhaps on the frame rails, as they'd be affected less mounted there. Certainly, my ZZR is a million miles quicker in the dark than my Fazer simply because there's much less fork dive on the brakes.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2012, 07:48:59 am »

i hear you about fork dive and riding in the dark... my main motivation comes from elsewhere however. i have noticed more new cars showing front marking lights - audis and citroens in particular. this causes me to notice them more and assuming that this is a trend more cars will begin to populate our roads with front led type lights.

as a result i can only see bikes like ours blending in more, even with headlights on. so if i can fit some front brighter lights without spoiling the factory look of my machine then i'm happy...
is it clean enough?

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2012, 07:22:45 pm »
those bulbs will be no good for a fazer as the fazer uses  capless bulbs not the type shown on the ebay link

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2012, 10:37:32 pm »
Thanks for that Solorider. I can stop thinking about it now.

bludclot, it's a nightmare. Whatever you do, someone always tops it, eh? The first few Range Rovers had everyone raving about high driving positions, now ever second car has a high driving position. As you say, with cars starting to light up more and more during the day, it is harder to stand out.

Personally, I switch the lights on and off depending on what the day is like. On country roads where there's a lot of dappled light coming through the trees, I think it's easier to see other bikes when their lights are off, I use full beam when lane splitting on motorways and suchlike.

I guess you just can't take being seen for granted. I've made eye contact with cars at T junctions and had them pull out. What are you going to do?

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 08:07:29 am »
 I think those purple LEDs stand out superbly against almost anything, I can notice them from miles away in my mirrors and especially when filtering through long lines of traffic. The biking lobbys should be campaigning to make purple lights OUR colour on a legal basis, it might be the solution to standing out against all the white sidelights the cages have on during the day.
 Does anyone know a good source for bright purple LEDs?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
is it clean enough?

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2012, 01:48:11 pm »

whether they are good or not i don't know, but:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Purple-Bulb-T10-5-SMD-LED-Car-Sidelight-360-Lamp-12V-/250863148351?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a689bdd3f

Cheers, I've just ordered a set and will post a pic too. These ones look better than the last set I had which started to go red after a few weeks.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2012, 03:31:22 pm »

arrived today...

shine - yes, pretty good, although judgement reserved until it's out in some sunlight.

quality - hmmmm, only one of the pair works!
is it clean enough?

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2012, 03:51:10 pm »

quality - hmmmm, only one of the pair works!

Have you tried taking the bulb out and rotating it 180 degrees as led's only take current one way?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 04:43:24 pm »

yes, it doesn't work. seller came straight back with an assurance that they would send a replacement immediately. can't fault that!
is it clean enough?

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 05:43:48 pm »
I bought these.

http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-t10-501-led-sidelight.html

and these, and mounted them on the top outside edge of my radiator side covers.

[url=http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-running-lights.html]http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-running-lights.html
[/url]

Sorry the photo is a bit rubbish, bike is squashed against the wall in the garage. Needs a wash too.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2012, 02:03:28 pm »
Well Phil TK, did you ever get the purple ones?

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2012, 03:07:32 pm »
those bulbs will be no good for a fazer as the fazer uses  capless bulbs not the type shown on the ebay link

Be careful with the sweeping statements, I bought a set of the capless bulbs as advertised on the bay but they don't fit. My USA import needs the oposite pin type, so buyer beware and check before you order.