Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:57 pm

Author Topic: Anyone else had problems finding neutral?  (Read 3001 times)

River Valley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DRZ400
    • View Profile
    • www.river-valley-guest-house.co.uk
Anyone else had problems finding neutral?
« on: 25 May 2012, 09:22:25 am »
Mine is a gen 1, 2001, with 35000 miles. I know that Yams are known for notchy gearboxes (especially compared with Suzukis, which I've mostly had in my biking years), but this one seems particularly bad, especially trying to find neutral when coming to a stop. I've many years of experience with bikes that are 'reluctant' to engage neutral, so am well versed with the 'gently nudging it into neutral just prior to stopping' routine, if you know what I mean, but it rarely works with this one.  The age-old trick of turning the ignition off and restarting, always sorts it, but I don't want to be forever doing that do I!
I'm wondering whether there is a problem that I need to investigate?
Greyhounds Make Great Pets!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else had problems finding neutral?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2012, 01:15:59 pm »
Try raising the idle speed a little to about 1350ish IIRC and/or come to a stop in first and blip the throttle and snick it into neutral.  Mine does the same and it works foe me.

alan09

• Brainless Foccer
    Foccin' Grumpy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2012, 01:35:29 pm »
just to say ive never had this problem with mine it goes into neutral without any problem at all. my idle speed is set at 1100ish.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2012, 02:06:45 pm »
If you can't resolve it with clutch adjustment, it might be the clutch shaft end plug issue:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59420

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2012, 04:45:23 pm »
Before you start looking for expensive problems, check some of the cheap ones first. I have never found a Yamaha that liked being nudged into neutral before stopping, so check to see if you are finding it difficult at stand still and only then try to change it. If neutral is hard to find when stopped, then check your oil levels, chain tension and the adjustment in the gear change lever. And also check how well your riding boots fit. Don't laugh, I had a mate who swore blind his gearbox was fuced when no else else could find a problem. Turned out he was wearing size 11 boots on size 9 feet because "they were on sale at the time..."

« Last Edit: 25 May 2012, 04:46:01 pm by PaulSmith »

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2012, 05:04:35 pm »
Try a little lube on the gear link rose joints too.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2012, 06:01:22 pm »
Gears 1 & 2 sometimes notchy to engage from standstill-as said thats a Yamaha trait. Difficulty engaging neutral: only occasionally. All points covered by other posts but when I first got my Gen 1 2002 & 22000miles last August the clutch cable was stiff so I lubed same,checked adjustment freeplay @ lever, chain tension, & lubed joints under gear selector rod ends with grease under rubber boots. Result: nice & easy!
Good point about boots. if I wear thin socks the boot can move around foot reducing"feel" Have been out for 80mile ride today in very warm conditions but gears & neutral[size=78%] OK[/size] :)