Date: 26-06-24  Time: 13:24 pm

Author Topic: New Battery Time only been 26 years  (Read 236 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
New Battery Time only been 26 years
« on: 17 June 2024, 01:54:40 pm »
So a new battery it is then after 26 years. I will be putting a Yuasa one on and from research it looks like its a Yuasa YT12B-BS. Not too bad price in Halford's at £62.I read that the BS means bottle supplied so I put the electrolyte in myself but halfords state "Battery comes pre-filled & ready to fit
100% maintenance free" so do they put it in at halfords or is it shipped from the factory already filled so it is not actually a BS battery ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: New Battery Time only been 26 years
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2024, 06:23:36 pm »
I'd reckon it will come ready filled. Last time I went to buy some battery acid, I was told its now illegal to sell it due to health and safety regulations, and that Id have to take my battery in to be filled on site

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2024, 08:44:26 pm »
Try Tayna for the battery. Usually much cheaper than Halfords and have next day delivery
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2024, 09:10:50 pm »
I'd reckon it will come ready filled. Last time I went to buy some battery acid, I was told its now illegal to sell it due to health and safety regulations, and that Id have to take my battery in to be filled on site
Ah I see thanks for the info

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2024, 09:11:35 pm »
Try Tayna for the battery. Usually much cheaper than Halfords and have next day delivery
Thanks, I looked there but the £8 post brought it up to the halfords £62 - collected
« Last Edit: 17 June 2024, 09:12:12 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2024, 01:15:50 pm »
New update.Halfords actually have an extra 10% off some products today that they did not have the other day so just brought the battery at £55.79 collect at my local store.  :thumbup
The original one was a  GS GT12B-4 I thought about getting one of those again but there are not many places that seem to sell them - after a quick search anyway and certainly not near me so would have to add post.Everyone seems to recommend the  Yuasa YT12B-BS so went for that.Somehow I dont think a new GS GT12B-4 would last any longer than the Yuasa, not like the OEM GS has done.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2024, 11:38:49 pm »
I ordered a Yuasa 14BS from Halfords earlier in the year for another bike, but picked up a 14. As said earlier, BS means the acid supplied in a separate bottle, and they are supplied ready filled now.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2024, 07:55:05 am »
So a new battery it is then after 26 years. I will be putting a Yuasa one on and from research it looks like its a Yuasa YT12B-BS. Not too bad price in Halford's at £62.I read that the BS means bottle supplied so I put the electrolyte in myself but halfords state "Battery comes pre-filled & ready to fit
100% maintenance free" so do they put it in at halfords or is it shipped from the factory already filled so it is not actually a BS battery ?

Surprised you never asked peoples thoughts before buying?
They do a Motobatt which i had 2 batteries ago, £64 on Ebay including free next day delivery which is good as other sites on there are charging nearly £95 for the same one.
Just checked and the last one i bought was a Varta.
I normally look for one that has a higher amp hour capacity especially for cold cranking due to me riding throughout as much of winter as i can.
One thing not mentioned, unless the ad's blatantly have the name and model of your bike on them online just make sure that all the measurements are spot on.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2024, 07:59:08 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2024, 12:06:29 pm »

Surprised you never asked peoples thoughts before buying?
They do a Motobatt which i had 2 batteries ago, £64 on Ebay including free next day delivery which is good as other sites on there are charging nearly £95 for the same one.
Just checked and the last one i bought was a Varta.
I normally look for one that has a higher amp hour capacity especially for cold cranking due to me riding throughout as much of winter as i can.
One thing not mentioned, unless the ad's blatantly have the name and model of your bike on them online just make sure that all the measurements are spot on.
I sort of did ask peoples thoughts as I spent some time searching on the forum  :book and the general consensus was that the Yuasa YT12B-BS was the best choice. In one post your good self sort of recommend Yuasa - in at least saying they were a good well known reliable brand  :D I was hoping you would chip in actually with some wisdom but I know you have other things to do than keep an eye out here.  :thumbup I also searched for the OEM one and no one really was talking about them and no one seemed to re fit another one.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2024, 12:26:57 pm »
Spec says Starting Power (CCA): 175Amps
Yes good point about the size - which I checked before buying as well.I read something about cold cranking, not sure it was to do with the one I brought.