Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:40 pm

Author Topic: Exhaust cans  (Read 1603 times)

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exhaust cans
« on: 05 November 2020, 09:54:49 am »
So the bike has turned up this morning and seems to be in great condition, just some very slight scratches on the (standard) silencer. 
Any views/experiences on good/bad/ugly aftermarket cans?  Budget £200 or less really, looking for good torque, and I imagine I'll do a 'carb jetting job' of some sort this Winter.
I've looked at PipeWerx, Beowulf, Black Widow, Delkevic, Fuel, Scorpion (bit pricey), etc.
But how to choose...?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust cans
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2020, 11:44:30 am »
Tbh the most important factor with an end can is the look. None of them are going to change the performance by much so just go with the one you think looks the best. Sounds can be different with each brand but as long as your planning on getting a road legal baffled one then that just becomes a matter of taste

I've had an Akra, Delkavic, A16 (and stock) cans in the past and now have a Mivv. All of them were great end cans at the time and all sounded great, the only difference was price.
Some people even get on with the cheap Chinese ones although I have seen plenty of issues with them in the past in terms of the "carbon" finish eroding and flaking off and some of the steel parts going rusty

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2020, 11:49:18 am »
SP Engineering is another make you could look at, they're based in Somerset. I've bought two cans from them for different systems, well pleased.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2020, 12:33:19 pm »
I've had a Fuel can on my 600 for 15 years and 30,000 miles. Still looks like new.

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2020, 01:15:41 pm »
I had Shark carbon silencer on the FZS1000 and it was ok. It was bit heavy because the second layer under the carbon one was metal.But I found and bought used homologated Akrapovic silencer in very good price, yes it is bit "touched" but nothing wrong. The akra is genuine fazer one with homologotion for Fazer and R1.
So I think you can give it some time and look for the right can on the net.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2020, 04:24:28 pm »
I can vouch for Fuel, had mine 11 years and looks like new. I recently had to replace the hanger whilst I was on a road trip and customer service was great making sure I got one next day. I run mine without the baffle as it runs noticebaly better with the Ivans kit, I had the bike dyno'd with and without the baffle fitted and the charts show it makes more power without. Lifetime warranty, great spares availability and customer service, so they have my reccomendation  :thumbup

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2020, 06:46:32 pm »
Thanks all.  Two votes for 'Fuel' so far then..
Couldn't resist a sneaky local ride today, and the bike seems to go very well indeed :-)
Then I drained the oil which was looking fairly 'black' through the window so it's game over, waiting for Wemoto now.
Narrow bars I thought, and slightly strange angle, so I'm also fancying the Renthal mod.

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2020, 07:15:30 pm »
+1 Fuel, great quality, nice sound, good looks.  :)

Ripsnortingvtwin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - cb750kz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2020, 08:58:15 am »
i have had 5 end cans on mine all the top name and a few lesser know ones the power was the same ended up with an arrow ti can carbon for the look so that my 10p worth of input

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2020, 05:43:16 pm »
Best price for something half-decent (hopefully) seems to be Beowulf (Stainless, oval, 380mm) for £170 including link pipe, stand rest etc.

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2020, 07:39:45 pm »
So the bike has turned up this morning and seems to be in great condition, just some very slight scratches on the (standard) silencer. 
Any views/experiences on good/bad/ugly aftermarket cans?  Budget £200 or less really, looking for good torque, and I imagine I'll do a 'carb jetting job' of some sort this Winter.
I've looked at PipeWerx, Beowulf, Black Widow, Delkevic, Fuel, Scorpion (bit pricey), etc.
But how to choose...?

Delkevic have some top products and also researched products. So before putting them out, they are tested

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2020, 07:43:22 pm »
Best price for something half-decent (hopefully) seems to be Beowulf (Stainless, oval, 380mm) for £170 including link pipe, stand rest etc.

Before you make a final decision just have a look on here...

http://www.aa16.co.uk/store/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F4018451&rnd=1673804&rrc=N&affl=&cip=86.17.64.92&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=175&cat=Yamaha&catstr=HOME:Yamaha

He's local to me and hand makes them to whatever spec you like. You can have anything from plain stainless to a full race gp stubby.
I can vouch for the quality as I've had 2 off of him in the past. One of the nice things about it being a small independent business is the fact you can ring him and talk on the phone about exactly what you want.
As I say, worth a look at least 👍