Date: 16-06-24  Time: 02:54 am

Author Topic: School boy error  (Read 3229 times)

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
School boy error
« on: 14 April 2012, 09:24:03 pm »
so my throttle was slack, spent ages removing the tank, the bar that holds the fuel filter on just to get at the nut which adjusts the throttle at the carbs.

only to notice theres an adjuster right next to the throttle  :rolleyes

lesson learned

gave me chance to clean the filter though

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
Re: School boy error
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2012, 01:20:52 am »
As no-one else has replied in an adult manner allow me.
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
But I'm not laughing though...
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2012, 07:55:38 am »
its nice to know iam not the only one that does things like that  :D :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2012, 09:15:26 am »
What a stupid thing to do, almost as bad as taking the tank off, putting it back without switching the fuel cock back on and then going for a ride which Ive.. errmmm heard can happen...or equally putting the tank back, this time switching the fuel on, [ no flies on this boy] pinching the fuel hose and grinding to a halt about four miles later...oh yes, it can happen, trust me.

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2012, 10:02:12 am »
taking the tank off, putting it back without switching the fuel cock back on
Had mine off the other day, will be rechecking that before I take it out, thanks!

Dropping the bike with the fuel tank balanced on the back, resulting in a huge dent; that was dim of me.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2012, 10:08:45 am »
Buying my 16 year old son a 50cc scooter and binning it on the test ride straight in front of him and his mum,,,,

Galileo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2012, 12:59:09 pm »
It was my first DAS lesson on a ER5, in a very cold wet mid February and I was frozen solid, the school supplied gloves were not up to much thermally and towards the end of the lesson I kept getting barked over the one way intercom "Cancel you indicators!" and all I could do was to wail and sniff like a 10 year old though a snotty nose to myself "I'm trying but I can't! My fingers won't work!" as I tried stabbing at the button.

Anyway, scene set and so to the embarrassing bit, got back to the center, swung the side stand down but unknowingly to me it had pinged back and I just gracefully tipped all the way over, right in front of my friend on the other ER5, the instructor and about 10 characters who had just spilled out of the CBT classroom! Scrabbled furiously out from under the bike and lifted it clean up in one go as if nothing had happened in the ridiculous hope that no one had noticed the huge crash and yelp. My instructor just looked, turned to the CBT crew and said nothing more than "And as has just been kindly demonstrated for us, side stands can swing back so always do a visual check".

Haven't been so embarrassed for quite some time, and put my back out for 2 days to boot.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2012, 03:26:14 pm »
 :agree I've done this, nearly wrenched my shoulder out. Funnily enough I nearly always check now.

Few years ago I had a "life lesson" taught to me by my moped. My garden used to have a step at the gate, "I'll just rev the engine gently to get it in, I'm 16 and need to save my strength for red shoe diaries"..."hmmmm its not working, give it abit more". The front wheel eventually gets up the step and the back wheel realises there's no longer a barrier so throws the bike through the gate. I hold on, get dragged into the wheely bin and severely bruise my ego.  :rollin
thou shalt not kick

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2012, 07:24:39 pm »
Not done any of those things yet.

My mate however pulled up at a petrol station failed to put the side stand down and promptly fell over whilst still on the bike. It gets better......
He was instructing a CBT course at the time. :rollin
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2012, 08:00:26 pm »
Once my son had a bit of confidence on his scooter, he asked me if he could back my XJ 900 out of the garage saying he was stronger than he looked.

He still has the scars!  :lol

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2012, 10:36:23 pm »
Doing the DAS and first time on the 600. Outside the shop I was asked to push it backwards down the curb. I twisted the handlebars on the way down and dropped the bike on me and my leg. I had one serious bruise on my leg but luckily only my body was damaged.

So my fist experience on a 600 was to drop it. This was a great confidence booster to my first big ride.

I of course blame the instructors.