Date: 16-06-24  Time: 01:49 am

Author Topic: Car Insurance...How can this be??  (Read 1806 times)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Car Insurance...How can this be??
« on: 30 March 2012, 10:14:08 pm »
Been on the phone tonight looking at car insurance and have to admit to being confused/surprised.
When I put on my 17 year old DD with provisional licence as you can imagine the quote rises significantly...but here's the fun bit...when I then add another 17 year old provisional licence holder, the quote drops by about £130. Can't explain it but clearly I need to add the second learner asap to reduce the premium!
Amazed!! :eek

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Car Insurance...How can this be??
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2012, 10:47:54 pm »
I found adding myself as a named driver on my sons policy dropped the premium but adding the wife increased it :rollin
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2012, 01:53:49 am »
Adding my lady as a provisional learner to my policy makes it drop by £10 a year.

OK, she is a 32 year old who has left it a bit late, but I am still confused as to why this is??

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2012, 12:28:55 pm »
Skin, you must have a crap driving record :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2012, 03:02:25 pm »
Skin, you must have a crap driving record :pokefun

Heh Heh  :lol

Nope. 4 years no claims, no accidents ever (touch wood) and no points. . . . . .

I swear insurers just make it up as they go along. . . . .

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2012, 07:02:50 pm »
I recall when I started driving (on my dads car ins), the policy evidently increased, and adding my brother on the same policy dropped it by £7.00 - apparently it was simply that although there were 3 people on the policy, there were still no accidents / claims. Apparently the other factor however is that as a named driver on a policy, the insurer works on the principle that the named driver/s will have use of the vehicle only part of the time, whereas a policy holder is regarded as having full-time use of the vehicle.

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2012, 09:59:31 pm »
 :hijack
Sorry but was listening to the radio today and there was a big uproar about Drink driving and insurance, apparently some insurance policy's say that if you have been drinking the insurance is void, NOT that if you are over the legal limit the policy is void so in theory if you have had a drink have an accident and have a breath sample taken and are found to have had a drink but are under the legal limit you may not be insured and any clam made could be refused. The host suggests that you contact your insurance company for clarification of this clause on your policy to avoid any possible problems.
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2012, 12:13:30 am »
I'd like to know why I can insure a 300+ bhp Focus RS for less than my old v6 Seat Alhambra mpv and can insure a Lamborghini Gallardo for just £800 more! car insurers are seriously f*cked up w*nkers IMO >:
Signed: seriously pissed off and going to have to sell the car, from Leeds!