Date: 01-06-24  Time: 15:30 pm

Author Topic: to drill or not o drill  (Read 2143 times)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
to drill or not o drill
« on: 30 March 2012, 06:30:54 pm »
just seen on you tube a couple of fz6 having there normal exhaust cans being drilled with 22mm drill bits to make them sound more sporty  :rolleyes
if i do this will i have to get the bike dyno or will it be safe??

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: to drill or not o drill
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2012, 07:34:54 pm »
Not something I'd try on my own pride and joy: you might find that it doesn't run that well (confused oxygen sensor / engine management), may not pass an MoT (noise and / or emission levels), Mr Plod may take a dim view of it, and insurance would probably need to know (modification).

The other point is manufacturers spend £m on the R&D of these things to achieve a balance between function, cost, type approval, manufacturability and various other factors. Their engineers have access to a wealth of data incomprehensible to you and I, have umpteen years experience designing these systems and getting them to work, and in my view the average home mechanic is unlikely to improve on these things.

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: to drill or not o drill
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2012, 09:40:05 pm »
I think you're better off looking about for a replacement pipe. I got a set of Campbell Exhausts off ebay a while back and they are mental with baffles out but civilised and much less "electric" sounding than the std can with them in! Passed 2 MOTs with them so far no worries.