Date: 29-05-24  Time: 07:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

29 May 2024, 07:17:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Members
  • Total Members: 7,335
  • Latest: 1w9
Stats
  • Total Posts: 325,876
  • Total Topics: 27,807
  • Online today: 681
  • Online ever: 1,160
  • (21 May 2024, 01:50:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 393
Total: 529
Billbott
Unknown spider (104)
Unknown robot (22)
Google (4)
Bing (5)

393 Guests, 1 User (135 Spiders)
Billbott, Unknown spider (104), Unknown robot (22), Google (4), Bing (5)

Author Topic: tps not working  (Read 6463 times)

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
tps not working
« on: 04 March 2017, 09:56:09 pm »
hl foccers one and all, im having trouble with my tps i believe it to be focced the bikel seems to be running ok,
been looking online they all seem to be for the s  sp n all bar just wondering if anyone knows where i can get a replacment and if it is still ok to ride.... fzs 600 fazer 03.        noob here by the way     
regards mogs :'(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: tps not working
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2017, 10:15:35 pm »
Ebay - Throttle position sensor  FZS 600

Buy new, do not buy a used one.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2017, 10:16:28 pm »
Why d'ya think it's no good?
Bike will normally run like shit if it's knackered?

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2017, 10:43:32 pm »
well when i was out for a ride the revs were dropping to zero  bike still running. thort it may be damp,spoke to a friend he suggested diagnostic, as i said noob..  today i reset by unplugging, reading says 10,000rpm no adjustment.  hence me finkin its focced. dont think its runnig badly.   sayin that this is my first decent bike         
will go for a ride tommorow. cheers

Townhill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - KTM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2017, 08:25:44 am »

hl foccers one and all, im having trouble with my tps i believe it to be focced the bikel seems to be running ok,
been looking online they all seem to be for the s  sp n all bar just wondering if anyone knows where i can get a replacment and if it is still ok to ride.... fzs 600 fazer 03.        noob here by the way     
regards mogs :'(

I searched out an earlier thread and found this from member Unfazed might help hope it does, Steve

Faulty Throttle position Sensors (TPS) on the early carburettor model Fazers.
 Over the years I have replaced 4 in total, one on a Fazer 400 and the 2 on the Fazer 600s. The latest being my own 600 when servicing it last weekend. I replaced them with second hand ones from breakers.
 The idle of my own was becoming more unstable in the last few weeks but was running ok and as it was due on Oil, Oil Filter Fuel Filter, plug change and balance the carburettors. After doing all of the above I went to set the TPS and could not set the Rev counter from 10000 back to 5000 without removing the screws of the TPS and moving it beyond the range of adjustments slots by almost 10mm. Out with the multi meter to check the TPS and found it was outside the ranges specified in the Service Manual by 1.290kohms. Since the TPS operates by varying the voltage levels being returned to the Ignitor unit (ECU) 1.290Kohm out of spec was giving completely the wrong voltage levels, which was telling the ignitor to adjust the timing to the wrong values. The first 3 faulty units I replaced were tested and were found to be open circuit with no reading between two of the three contacts and had the 3000 rev code on the rev counter, my own one however was different in that it gave a high resistance which does not show the 3000 rev fault code.
 I bought a second hand one from a breaker and while waiting for it to arrive I decided to do a little internet checking to determine what other bikes might use the same TPS since it is manufactured by Mikuni and here is what I found. The Mikuni TPS with A1 stamped on the side nearest the Carburettor. The same fitment of TPS come with A1, A2 or A3 stamped on them. I have tested the one with A2 stamped on it and the readings are the same as the A1, but unfortunately I have not been able to source an A3 one to test.
 Kawasaki and Suzuki also use exactly the same unit on some of their bikes.
 Here is the killer punch, a brand new one with a Yamaha OEM part number is around €230 (£190) the exact same one with the Kawasaki OEM part number is around €130 (£107) and the exact same one with a Suzuki OEM part number is around €80 (£66). Prices vary a little depending on where you shop
 The Fazer 600 part number is: 4SV-85885-00 and has been superseded by 4HD-85885-00
 Kawasaki part number 21176-1083 and it can be A1, A2 or A3. This leads me to believe that they are newer versions of the A1
 Suzuki part number 13550-13D60 and the following Suzuki models use this TPS and can be A1, A2 or A3.

It was because the Idle was varying between 1000r to 1400 revs that I checked the carburettor balance and the TPS settings.
 The idle has improved and now stays around the 1250 mark. As I changed the plugs which had 30000 miles on them it is difficult to determine if the idle problem was due to worn plugs or faulty TPS since the carb balance was ok.

Your only here once! GET A LIFE GET A BIKE in it.

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2017, 10:30:33 am »
wow :eek thank you townhill and darsi very much that will take me a while to digest,very interesting.
as i did have recent plugs air filter and c/balance.   mogs

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2017, 12:02:17 pm »
In short, if it can't be adjusted from 10k rpm it's fooked.
I'm on my 4th one now, but i bought 2 used ones before buying a brand new one so i know all the symptoms.
The bike will idle slightly erratically, and throttle response will be hard work below 3000rpm. Above that will feel better, but you won't probably realise how bad it is until you have a TPS that makes the bike run properly in comparison.
I said buy new to avoid you going through the pain of it happening again, and by making economic sense.
A used one will be a minimum 14yrs old with completely unknown mileage on it which will be waiting to break down again, yet they're still selling for about half the price of new ones.

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2017, 02:38:29 pm »
Thank you again. i will be buying a new unit but saying that i do normally learn the hard way.
now you say it that is bang on below 3000 revs is different to before' i did notice it but thort it was me.
went and had a look today took screws out got a 5000 reading just past  ie 1/3 of the hole was there didn't
have smaller diamiter nut and bolt to try plus i dropped the case screw it fell forward and has stuck somewhere need to take torch next time as my bike is in garage that is a bit of a walk. cheers guys mogs

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2017, 03:25:55 pm »
Thank you again. i will be buying a new unit but saying that i do normally learn the hard way.
now you say it that is bang on below 3000 revs is different to before' i did notice it but thort it was me.
went and had a look today took screws out got a 5000 reading just past  ie 1/3 of the hole was there didn't
have smaller diamiter nut and bolt to try plus i dropped the case screw it fell forward and has stuck somewhere need to take torch next time as my bike is in garage that is a bit of a walk. cheers guys mogs

Should only loosen the screws enough for it to be able to move for adjustment. No need to remove them.

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2017, 09:30:55 pm »
Evening everyone. here is a shout out to the kind people who have not only guided me but saved me about a hundred pounds. :thumbup
orderd  my new tps  today should have it friday maybe.  ps it is running but a bit rough and briefly cuts. its all making sense doh :o
                                   thank ye all   mogs

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2017, 10:16:37 pm »
I got to know the runnings symptoms after 3 failed on me, including even when they were out of adjustment.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2017, 12:24:13 pm »
Hi mogster has the new tps arrived? If so I'd be interested to know if it solved your issues as I'm in the process of ordering one as I have exactly the same symptoms, shit running and hard work under 3000rpm

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2017, 02:40:22 pm »
Hi mogster has the new tps arrived? If so I'd be interested to know if it solved your issues as I'm in the process of ordering one as I have exactly the same symptoms, shit running and hard work under 3000rpm

Although that is a symptom of a dodgy TPS, it is also the same scenario if the carbs are out of balance.
BUT, to balance the carbs you need a properly functioning TPS as well.

Have you tested the TPS to make sure it's positioned correctly, or is it giving you any fault codes on the rev counter at all?
« Last Edit: 11 March 2017, 08:28:39 pm by darrsi »

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2017, 05:32:19 pm »
Itscgiving me stuttery shitness below 3k rpm,ci had carbs cleaned and balanced last month and had a new set of plugs, above 3k rpm its fine

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2017, 06:20:39 pm »
What about the HT leads ? Or Plug caps ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2017, 08:11:36 pm »
Itscgiving me stuttery shitness below 3k rpm,ci had carbs cleaned and balanced last month and had a new set of plugs, above 3k rpm its fine

Where does the RPM needle sit if you unplug the TPS then plug it back in again though?

As suggested it's worth lopping 5-10mm off the ends of the HT leads then screwing the caps back on.
Over time the wires get pushed into the plastic creating a weaker connection. Just make sure you screw them in firmly.

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2017, 08:25:52 pm »
hi darrenc fitted tps today diagnostic is doing what it should when unplugged and plug refitted.
havent rode her yet.       when faulty it was readin 10000rpm with no adjustment. i did take 10 mill of the end of leads it didnt alter the tps.  the new tps has a3 stamped on the back mine has a2' the man at the shop said the part number is all that is relevant.

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2017, 08:37:06 pm »
how the foc unfazed found all that info beats me but what a champ fella for sharing' and friendly advice. i cannot get over it  :rollin

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2017, 10:13:15 pm »
how the foc unfazed found all that info beats me but what a champ fella for sharing' and friendly advice. i cannot get over it  :rollin

He's certainly a bit of a wizard when it comes to Fazer info.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2017, 09:40:49 am »
Glad to hear its fitted mobster, let us know if it rides OK now, I've ordered a new tps off eBay so hopefully it will cure the stuttering below 3k rpm

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 March 2017, 10:24:34 am »
Glad to hear its fitted mobster, let us know if it rides OK now, I've ordered a new tps off eBay so hopefully it will cure the stuttering below 3k rpm

You've still not said what the RPM needle does when you test the TPS?

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 March 2017, 10:56:44 am »
I can get it set to 5000

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2017, 02:44:32 pm »
I can get it set to 5000

When they're knackered or breaking down, that is the one place they won't sit at.
More common to be fixed at 0rpm or 10,000rpm.
Unless you set it at 5000rpm then it constantly moves either way after a short while.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 March 2017, 03:23:29 pm »
It did move to 10000 after a short time, I think previous owner spent a lot of time in the 0-3k range hence it being a bit shit at that range, I'm led to believe the sensor is nothing more than a glorified variable resistance dial similar to a volume dial on a stereo

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2017, 09:29:29 pm »
good eve all. bike running rather well now.