Date: 01-06-24  Time: 19:05 pm

Author Topic: PICs now Added - Oil coming through exhaust.  (Read 9899 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: PICs now Added - Oil coming through exhaust.
« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2017, 05:57:44 pm »
Could the oil cooler be focced and allowing coolant in to the oil,?? Is there oil in the rad/expansion tank ??
Not seen it on a bike but just had similar on my car and I shat me self that it was the head gasket but turned out to be the oil cooler that the foccing spanner monkey fucked up on it was serviced .

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2017, 06:54:50 pm »
I am amazed that the damn thing even ran with that amount of stuff coming out of the exhaust

It's a Fazer ...................

True  :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2017, 07:22:48 pm »
As said, the creamy oil filler cap can be just a winter thing, i get it every year on mine in the colder weather because i do relatively short journeys to and from work, so condensation mixes with the oil causeing the white stuff.
Must admit, never seen it at the rear of the exhaust before though.

As it's a new bike to you i would've personally started from scratch and changed all the fluids, as you just don't know how much was in there or what condition they were in.

You might wanna check your air filter housing too, you may have a load of emulsified oil under the filter itself as well which will need mopping up, which could be the result of over filling the oil sump.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 January 2017, 08:13:58 pm »
As it was so cheap you might want to cut your losses and buy an engine for a couple of hundred £. Then break this one in your own time and repair or sell the good bits to get some money back.
:agree

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 January 2017, 10:20:24 pm »
I reckon coolant leak, has caused it to overheat, warp the head and blow the head gasket.
Coolant only flows internally through the top 2 sections of the engine and oil and coolant must be mixing at the head gasket. You would have to really over fill it with oil to get that much leaking out past the pistons!!!
« Last Edit: 18 January 2017, 10:27:28 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 January 2017, 10:30:15 pm »
You can see the coolant holes around the cylinders and valve. These are the two sections separated by the head gasket. For a gasket to go it either needs the head to warp or take a big whack from something failing.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2017, 10:31:33 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 January 2017, 10:31:43 pm »
This might be looking on the bright side a bit too much

I hope your right, but, alas I fear your not, I hope that I have to eat humble pie for rw's sake. :'(

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 January 2017, 10:38:10 pm »
As it was so cheap you might want to cut your losses and buy an engine for a couple of hundred £. Then break this one in your own time and repair or sell the good bits to get some money back.
:agree

Yep that is what I am looking to do now.

I havent yet had chance to look at the coolant, I was back at work today then mopping up at my friends where the bike was parked as oil was continuing to drip out of the joint at the silencer -  we reckoned it wasnt going to drop anymore last night as it had not been run - but it obviously did  :rolleyes

Hoping to get a look at the coolant and drain the remaining oil tomorrow eve.

as for oil level before any of this took place, it looked to be ok in the sight glass - I only topped up when the light came up, and a bit at a time checking & stopping when the light def stayed off?
- the idea was to get the mot then do a oil & filter change anyway as didnt know when it was last done - the coolant was checked when leak fixed and topped up. It hadnt over heated in the time I have had it, though thats not to say it hasnt in the past.

Will come back to thread when had a look at the coolant.
Russ :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 January 2017, 11:23:35 pm »
After a bit of calculating (long story) i worked out the oil light comes on after about 1 litre has been lost, leaving about 1.5 littes left to lube the engine.
Not life threatening to the engine but does need dealing with asap.

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2017, 11:32:31 pm »
I would go for that - each time I topped up I would of guessed from the amount left in can it was taking a little less than a litre to make the light go off - I only topped it twice before getting the recovery, I have a little bit more than half a 4l container left,

It'll have to come out - cos all I could get was car oil, but reckon that was better than no or very low oil

Edit just looked its a five litre can and about 2 thirds to 3 quarters left
« Last Edit: 18 January 2017, 11:36:28 pm by rw711 »

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 January 2017, 11:40:38 pm »
Was the bike on the centrestand / level ground when filling and ( hope your not offended at this RW ) was the engine switched off and the remaining oil that was circulating around the engine left to settle before you started to fill with from what you approximate about 1.8 litres ?
If the answer was no to the above that could mean a big overfill

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 January 2017, 11:42:26 pm »
Could even be a cracked/broken cylinder liner, although it is more of a issue with the early R1 &  R6s due to higher revving engines, but a few have cropped up in states on the fazers, have not heard of any this side of the Atlantic

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 January 2017, 11:54:07 pm »
Was the bike on the centrestand / level ground when filling and ( hope your not offended at this RW ) was the engine switched off and the remaining oil that was circulating around the engine left to settle before you started to fill with from what you approximate about 1.8 litres ?
If the answer was no to the above that could mean a big overfill
No problem, yeh the first time was at the garage, it had been stood on centrestand for maybe 10 mins or more as I had to buy the oil then go get a lend of some pliers as the filler cap seems to go quite tight, even though I tried to avoid overtightening.  At this time I would say it'd been nursed along with the oil light on for approx 4 or 5 miles. The MOT place was only about half a mile from this garage.

It lost quite a bit just through leakage whilst sat waiting for the MOT - the light came back on when I was say another 3 miles after leaving the MOT - this was possibly a bit quick as put oil in here at the roadside with engine off but it'd only been off a couple of mins -this is when it started reving of its own accord and I decided to call it a day. so possibly that WAS an over fill but I kill  switched the engine and only briefly started it for the Rec. man and kill switched it again - its not been run since.

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 January 2017, 08:24:03 pm »
Well there is no oil in the coolant.  Level was down as couldn't  see coolant in filler neck.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 January 2017, 08:27:28 pm »
Well there is no oil in the coolant.  Level was down as couldn't  see coolant in filler neck.

Don't forget to make sure the level is between the markings in the expansion tank as well, the white bottle situated under the right side of the passenger seat.

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 January 2017, 08:59:57 pm »
Well I drained the oil and coolant.   The oil was milky but c oolant clear. Gonna have a look at the plugs now.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 January 2017, 10:59:28 pm »
Well I drained the oil and coolant.   The oil was milky but c oolant clear. Gonna have a look at the plugs now.

Just bear in mind the cold weather, no doubt even colder where you are, so don't expect normal coloured oil.
I've seen a fine layer of mayo before in my oil window and nearly shat myself but it's just one of those things that is caused by short journeys/condensation.

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 January 2017, 11:41:33 pm »
Well here's some more pics:

Oil like milky coffee, did not notice any metallic swarfs in it
Coolant seems normal
Plug seems normal, we got 1 & 4 out not tried the inner ones yet.

Difficult to decide whether to try refilling and see what happens? - or do something else.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 January 2017, 12:35:52 am »
You've got to look at all the plugs and I think before refilling it needs a flush through , you don't want any of the internal oil ways getting bunged up.
Just out of curiosity did you notice if the coolant level was low and by how much before you drained it ?
One positive by the looks of it is that oil didn't get into your coolant.
Has it had an oil filter fitted recently ??? Either by yourself or previous owner ?

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 January 2017, 12:47:35 am »
You've got to look at all the plugs and I think before refilling it needs a flush through , you don't want any of the internal oil ways getting bunged up.
Just out of curiosity did you notice if the coolant level was low and by how much before you drained it ?
One positive by the looks of it is that oil didn't get into your coolant.
Has it had an oil filter fitted recently ??? Either by yourself or previous owner ?
Yep this was as far as we got - could do with checking other plugs,
hard to tell with coolant - being new to the bike I didnt realise there was a seperate header tank ( on the kawasaki the filler and header tank were at the same place) also plenty of coolant spilt before I could get the drip tray under .

The oil filter and oil was what was in the bike when I got it, apart from the top-ups I did out on the road. I was going to do the full service after the Mot, had all this not happened!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 21 January 2017, 10:11:52 am »
And there was me thinking my bike was a conundrum!!!
I was gonna email you an address to get some sensibly priced decent oil as well to give you a bit of a break but they don't deliver to the highlands.  :\

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 21 January 2017, 10:18:59 am »
Have a look in the air box too. If it was over filled with oil there would be a good bit of oil in there but I think the plug you pulled probably rules out the way too much oil theory. I'd expect the plug to be black and wet due to oil getting force past the rings and to see multiple wet plugs not just one. If there's only one fouled plug and the rest are normal then there's a problem in that one cylinder. How did you drain the coolant did you pull a hose off or use the drain bolt? I'd suggest pulling the lowest hose off just to be sure that there's no gunk in there. A leak down tester would be really useful here. It would pin point where the problem is without taking the engine apart. You need an air compressor to use it though
« Last Edit: 21 January 2017, 10:23:52 am by His Dudeness »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 21 January 2017, 11:16:16 am »
So, who has ever filled (or seen) a fazer with so much oil in it, that it comes out the exhaust? Anyone?
come on, own up!

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 21 January 2017, 11:39:04 am »
Have a look in the air box too. If it was over filled with oil there would be a good bit of oil in there but I think the plug you pulled probably rules out the way too much oil theory. I'd expect the plug to be black and wet due to oil getting force past the rings and to see multiple wet plugs not just one. If there's only one fouled plug and the rest are normal then there's a problem in that one cylinder. How did you drain the coolant did you pull a hose off or use the drain bolt? I'd suggest pulling the lowest hose off just to be sure that there's no gunk in there. A leak down tester would be really useful here. It would pin point where the problem is without taking the engine apart. You need an air compressor to use it though

Yeah i hinted at that before about the liquid honeycomb that might be in the airbox.

One thing that i've never heard anyone mention before on this forum though is having to replace piston rings, it's just a non existent topic, not that i can remember anyway.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21 January 2017, 11:43:50 am »
So, who has ever filled (or seen) a fazer with so much oil in it, that it comes out the exhaust? Anyone?
come on, own up!

In response to that I'd say who on here has seen a Fazer engine suddenly let go the way this one has? Some bikes do have sudden failures but these bikes have well designed tough engines. I haven't seen one just suddenly let go so that's why I was suggesting something unusual must have happened to this one.