Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:30 am

Author Topic: Caliper bolts?  (Read 1669 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Caliper bolts?
« on: 27 December 2016, 03:19:18 pm »
Does anyone know where I can get a full set of the bolts/screws for the rear caliper on a gen 2?
The previous owner decided in all his wisdom to paint the whole caliper without taking it apart and now all the bolts look crappy so I'm wanting to replace all of them with nice new stainless ones. So If anybody could point me in the direction of either the size info or a place I could buy them that'd be great.
Thanks

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Caliper bolts?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2016, 05:38:52 pm »
Hi Dude,
I can't help you out with the sizes but an excellent stainless bolt supplier is custom-fasteners.co.uk
01686 629666. The diameter under the original bolt head will give you the  M size eg M8 or M10 etc and the thread length is  again measured from under the head. Hope this helps.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Bruce

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2016, 06:49:35 pm »
Hi Dude,
I can't help you out with the sizes but an excellent stainless bolt supplier is custom-fasteners.co.uk
01686 629666. The diameter under the original bolt head will give you the  M size eg M8 or M10 etc and the thread length is  again measured from under the head. Hope this helps.

Agrees I have used Custom-Fasteners on a number of occasions,
and have purchased from them on eBay. 

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2016, 07:49:53 pm »
Hi Dude,

Thanks robbo, that may be what I have to resort to if I can't find any kind of kit 🖒

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2016, 07:51:57 pm »
These are listed on ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake-Caliper-Hanger-Mount-Bolts-Yamaha-FZ1-FZ6-FZ8-Fazer-XJ6-Diversion-/311580301824?hash=item488ba21a00:g:yPgAAOSwAL9UgvZT

Thanks, that's 2 out of the main ones. I may do as robbo suggested and just measure up the rest and replace them with generic stainless bolts 🤔

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2016, 08:30:15 pm »

I bought OEM bolts for my Gen1 - I was told that they are not generic S/S bolts but something along the lines of 'stretch bolts' so that when they are properly torqued they are slightly stretched which reduces the likelihood of them coming undone. I was told that they should be regularly replaced, ideally each time the calipers are removed but the bloke acknowledged this wasn't usually going to happen so he said he would definitely replace them if the calipers have been off 3 or 4 times as apparently they can snap after a while. This was news to me as I've never bothered replacing them before and not had an issue (Loctite is my friend) but you might want to bare this in mind, I'd recommend staying with the OEM bolts.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2016, 08:41:21 pm »

I bought OEM bolts for my Gen1 - I was told that they are not generic S/S bolts but something along the lines of 'stretch bolts' so that when they are properly torqued they are slightly stretched which reduces the likelihood of them coming undone. I was told that they should be regularly replaced, ideally each time the calipers are removed but the bloke acknowledged this wasn't usually going to happen so he said he would definitely replace them if the calipers have been off 3 or 4 times as apparently they can snap after a while. This was news to me as I've never bothered replacing them before and not had an issue (Loctite is my friend) but you might want to bare this in mind, I'd recommend staying with the OEM bolts.

Thanks, that not something I'd considered. Like yourself I've had calipers on and off bikes many times over the years without issue and never replaced the bolts but sods law says that now I know, it will happen 😥 haha cheers

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2016, 10:16:41 pm »
I always thought stretch bolts were recognised by the fact that the thread does not run all the way up to the base of the head and that the unthreaded section was waisted so that part was a smaller diameter to the threaded section. In the past most car manufacturers cylinder head bolts were this type, and quite expensive as I recall. Perhaps this isn't the case though.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.