Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:26 pm

Author Topic: Scorpion can  (Read 3930 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Scorpion can
« on: 25 October 2016, 10:01:46 pm »
Has anybody got a scorpion can or experience of one ? I've just fitted a road legal one with db killer which sounds great with the db killer ( not too loud ) in but the power loss is really noticeable,there's no oomph anymore, when I fitted it it seemed like the link pipe was smaller diameter than standard but it's probably just my eyes.
Anyway when you take the baffle out it's loud obviously but too loud for me and the oomph is back but no more than standard and without the midrange torque but it makes the motor feel harsh and vibey and like it's not doing it any good or running lean maybe ?
I really wanted a can that would give a better sound without being annoying , keeping the midrange but never expected what I've ended up with.
Anyone got any ideas

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Scorpion can
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2016, 12:45:16 pm »
I've got a scorpion can on mine. Baffle is only in for MOT really, I do notice it's a bit flatter with it in but then mines has had the full monty done so it's not really setup for riding with a baffle in now.

I wouldn't have thought it would have been an issue with a standard engine, should still be better flowing than the OEM unit.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2016, 03:50:52 pm »
My bike was already fitted with a Scorpian can when I bought it so I can't really compair it to the standard OEM can, however when I took the DB killer out it did seem to run better than with it in, forgot to put it back in for the MOT on monday but it still passed.

A mate of mine mentioned that if you put a different can on and it runs a bit shit, to get it jetted, not sure what that means, involves or costs but it's 'allegedly' ment to be really good for it.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2016, 03:51:40 pm by Fazer99 »
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2016, 07:09:01 pm »
I wanted a can that wasn't too loud as I want a full monty but don't want a race can as plan to do some touring next year so I thought the scorpion would fit the bill but having doubts.
Interested to know how much the baffle in affects the full monty as a slip on can shouldn't be as restrictive as standard and full monty not suitable for standard can and my scorpion feels more restrictive than the standard.
So really confused now

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2016, 09:36:46 pm »
I fitted a Scorpion can to mine before it was Ivanised. With the baffle in, I can't say I noticed much difference, but with it removed, I thought it took a little off the low down oomph, but boosted the top end a little, but this might have been my imagination, as it's what I would have expected it to do.

Since owning the Striple, I now think of it as being very quiet with the baffle out:lol

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2016, 12:11:45 am »
Well that's given me something to think about , I might chuck it on flea bay and get a mivv instead that was my other choice to the scorpion

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2016, 08:13:46 am »

Interested to know how much the baffle in affects the full monty........

Not a Scorpion can but my Fuel S/S Oval on my Full Montied Gen1. Top chart is baffle out, bottom one is baffle in, you'll see there's ~7BHP difference and the fuelling is also better with the baffle out.

« Last Edit: 27 October 2016, 08:14:41 am by PieEater »

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2016, 02:19:11 pm »
Thanks pie eater
How loud is the fuel can with the baffle in ??
If the fuel can isn't too loud with the baffle in, from the charts you show that may be suitable for me

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2016, 04:27:52 pm »

With the baffle in I'd have to say the can is about as load as the OEM can but maybe a bit deeper. I really don't like loud cans but even so the Fuel with the baffle fitted was too quiet for me, so I ended up chopping the baffle up as a compromise but after a while I just took it out and ride without it now. The Mrs is also against loud cans and she says it's not too loud without the baffle when she's riding pillion, and my mate AndyW didn't even realise I'd taken it out (though to be fair years of drumming in rock bands has probably something to do with that). I ended up buying a spare baffle from FUEL which I keep under the seat just in case but I've never been pulled and my MOT tester has never said anything about it so I've never used it.

Here's a picture of the bike with the can fitted.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2016, 07:33:23 pm »
I think the scorpion is going on the bay and I'm gonna get me one of those.
Sounds exactly what I'm wanting 
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar

Tommy250_2

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2016, 08:56:00 pm »
Good luck with the FUEL can, lots of people like them. I fitted a Mivv Oval last week on my gen 1 and would highly reccomend them too.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2016, 09:42:18 pm »
Thanks for that , now you've got me thinking about the mivv  :'( what mivv have you got and how loud is it with baffle in ?? I really liked the look of the carbon gp mivv but all the descriptions on websites were in italenglish and didn't specifically say road legal in U.K. All the you face tube vids I saw of mivv were with baffle out so I had no reference to noise.

Tommy250_2

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2016, 12:13:28 am »
I went with the mivv carbon oval. It's larger than the mivv gp can. I'll try to get a photo up for you tomorrow.
One of main reasons for wanting a new can was to be heard while filtering, so I've been riding baffle out. With the baffle fitted it is only a little louder than stock exhaust, but with a nicer deeper note.

http://www.mivv.com/en/products/y-009-l3-yamaha-fzs-1000-fazer-2001-2005-2/

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2016, 12:36:18 am »
Thanks tommy250
I'm going to look into the mivv a bit further I think the carbon GP would be louder as it's shorter so I've discounted that one but like the look of the one in the link.

Tommy250_2

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2016, 10:23:46 am »
Here is the Mivv oval carbon. Each to their own and all that , plenty of other good cans out there - but I'm very happy with my choice. Paid £230 for it inc delivery from eBay.

Tommy250_2

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2016, 10:25:07 am »
And another...

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2016, 09:48:32 pm »
Thanks for the pics, it looks good with the black paintwork, my bike is silver storm so it will go well with the bike being black and silver ,I think my minds made up the scorpion is going , anyone want a nearly new scorpion can  :D

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2016, 09:58:48 pm »

Thanks for the pics, it looks good with the black paintwork, my bike is silver storm so it will go well with the bike being black and silver ,I think my minds made up the scorpion is going , anyone want a nearly new scorpion can  :D

Yeah, I'll give you £50 for it!!!

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2016, 10:09:30 pm »
Hmmmm let me think on that one a while  :eek

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • Half deaf middle aged drummer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #19 on: 07 November 2016, 05:20:28 pm »

With the baffle in I'd have to say the can is about as load as the OEM can but maybe a bit deeper. I really don't like loud cans but even so the Fuel with the baffle fitted was too quiet for me, so I ended up chopping the baffle up as a compromise but after a while I just took it out and ride without it now. The Mrs is also against loud cans and she says it's not too loud without the baffle when she's riding pillion, and my mate AndyW didn't even realise I'd taken it out (though to be fair years of drumming in rock bands has probably something to do with that). I ended up buying a spare baffle from FUEL which I keep under the seat just in case but I've never been pulled and my MOT tester has never said anything about it so I've never used it.

Here's a picture of the bike with the can fitted.

Pardon???   :rolleyes