Date: 15-06-24  Time: 18:39 pm

Author Topic: oil change. oil level?  (Read 5066 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
oil change. oil level?
« on: 13 September 2016, 10:04:08 pm »
Hi I changed the oil and filter using Silkolene super 4, 10_40 and K&N filter on my 05 FZS 1000 for the first time on Sunday.The owner be for me I was told changed the oil and filter shortly before I bought the bike in March. When the bike was cold the oil in the window was completely covered, and when hot and left on the centre stand for a few minutes was above the high mark.
After leaving the oil to drain for 4 hours, I but 3 litre in as it says in the book.Been out to day ,when I got back but bike on main stand waited a few minutes the level was half way between low and high mark. Waited 2 hours ,still in the same place.
Have I done some thing wrong? I was very careful to measure the 3 litres.
Not sure if it is me but the bike seems to be going a lot better, picks up much better and the gear box seems slicker.
Should I but more oil in? What is the best level? High mark, or in the middle? The oil warning level light did not come on during my ride.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: oil change. oil level?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2016, 10:07:12 pm »
my light comes on if im anywhere near half way on the window ,,,keep it high with just a small gap at the top  :thumbup
please god let the sun keep shining

Don71uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2016, 06:31:26 am »
I've found that 3l will only put the level about half way between the high and low marks, like you. So I always now add another 100/150 cc to bring up to the top mark.

Also when you change the filter as well you should put 3.5l in, but I still add the extra 100/150cc.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2016, 07:27:17 am »
Have a look at the FAQ  at the top of the page if you haven't already, some useful information for new owners including advice on the oil level which as has been suggested should be at the maximum mark if not slightly above.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2016, 05:27:41 pm »
I have been out on my bike again today, the oil level warning light has still not come on. I have added about 0.1 Litre and will leave it at that for now and see how it goes, I am not a fan of over filling,but what is over filling? and why do Yamaha say 3 litres for a oil and filter change.
I have been wondering if the type of oil and what filter you use has any bearing on the level, or is every bike different? I do not know what oil the last owner used but he had a MF filter, I also think he way over filled the bike, but hay what do I know lol.
Don71 where did you get the measurement of 3.5 litres for a oil and filter change from. I have checked again the Yamaha workshop manual and owners manual and it says
Oil change only. 2.8 litres
Oil and filter.      3.0 litres
Dry engine.       3.7 litres
It seems that the warning light coming on when the oil level is below the high mark is very common, but are some people over filling? And does it matter? How much oil is over filled?

Don71uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2016, 08:34:18 pm »
Ricky,

The 3.5 is what I've found to be what is required when changing both the oil and filter, it works for me, the oil level just to the top of the sight glass, no problems in 72,000 miles.

Don.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2016, 06:30:43 am »
The oil light comes on at time, not when it's too late.  :)

It is a warning, not the sign there is no oil, or it's below minimum. Which is good IMO.

Overfilling doesn't help the engine, so I'd stick to filling to the maximum level.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2016, 08:10:52 pm »
Oil level switch is very sensitive on some 1000s and 600s keep oil the top of the top Dot mark.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2016, 08:43:15 pm »
Went out for a 200 mile ride on Thursday and the worning light did not come on ,so looks like I don't need to overfil.I will see how it goes.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2016, 05:37:58 pm »
I have measured the oil that I took out during the oil change, it is about the same as I but in, but the level is lower than before,so it must be down to oil filers. The previous owner used a MF filter I used a K&N, or have I missed  some thing?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2016, 07:57:58 pm »
You mean he was using a Massey Ferguson filter  :eek :lol

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2016, 05:22:29 pm »
You're over thinking this, just  fill it to the top marks and keep it there. No one is suggesting that you over fill it, it's a quirk of the engine design that it needs to be kept to the upper level or the warning light may come on.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2016, 09:57:24 pm »
Hi Pie eater its not that  I am over thinking any thing, I am just curious why I am geting different results, I am not getting the warning light coming on with the lower levels and just asking the question. This is a forum where people like me with a small amount of knowledge ask questions of people like yourself  with a lot of knowledge about the fazer, I have learnt so much already and hope to learn much  more from the knowlededgeable on the site.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2016, 05:35:14 am »
Hi Ricky. You said that you measured the oil you took out against what you put in and it was about the same.  It only takes a 100ml or so to make a noticeable difference in the window so 'about' may be not exact enough. :)  You could also be right about the volume of the filters being different.  The Thou motor has a quirk of hiding oil sometimes, too. 

Did you drain the old oil with the bike on the sidestand and refill on the centre stand?

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2016, 07:24:57 pm »
Hi Mike, yes drained on side stand, and filled and checked level after worming engine on center stand. I did leave bike to drain on centre stand for short time to.