Date: 15-06-24  Time: 20:46 pm

Author Topic: engine removal.  (Read 1077 times)

Notch000

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
engine removal.
« on: 12 August 2016, 01:48:36 pm »
I have the bike stripped except the engine to come out. What the best ways about it, wrestly out thorug hte frame or lay the bike over on its side ???? does engine come over left or right side easiest ???

Also what is the yoke directly under the sump the looks look like some sort of cylinder with an electrical connections ??? should i remove it or pull the wire back and take it out wiht the engine with ti in situ  ?? cheers
« Last Edit: 12 August 2016, 01:51:43 pm by Notch000 »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: engine removal.
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2016, 02:45:05 pm »
The wires in the sump I think... Can't remember.. I think it's to do with oil pressure/level. Leave it attached to the engine.

The engine comes out to the right easiest I think. When you look at the top right engine mount there is a triangular bracket that you remove, as the engine is captive between these 2 mounts. It's easier if you get a grown up to help you, but I've done it twice myself using a trolley jack. Jack the engine up, slide onto the frame. Repostion the jack outside the the frame. Slide engine off frame onto the jack and roll away.

Remove the oil filter and the housing behind it, else it is a bitch to get out of the frame.

I think I worked through the Haynes manual easy enough when I first removed it. Second time I did it all from memory... which as you can tell isn't great.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2016, 05:10:34 pm »
I just checked, all of the above is correct.  :D

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2016, 05:19:46 pm »
I've never tried laying the bike down.. but thinking about it, you'll still have to lift the engine out or lift the frame off over the engine. Either way that won't be easy and even with a mate you'll struggle as you will need to get yourself over it and your hands right around it.

Keep the bike upright and use a trolley jack is what I would recommend. Don't be tempted to lift the engine out by hand. I've done it and nearly done myself a serious back injury! you can't get in a good position to lift it while keeping your back straight, you'll regret trying.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Notch000

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2016, 04:55:58 pm »
Great thanks il give that a go so

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2016, 08:58:07 am »
I've never tried laying the bike down.. but thinking about it, you'll still have to lift the engine out or lift the frame off over the engine. Either way that won't be easy and even with a mate you'll struggle as you will need to get yourself over it and your hands right around it.

Keep the bike upright and use a trolley jack is what I would recommend. Don't be tempted to lift the engine out by hand. I've done it and nearly done myself a serious back injury! you can't get in a good position to lift it while keeping your back straight, you'll regret trying.

That's just about as good a "risk assessment" I've ever read for this work, it's defo a 2 man job  :thumbup 
Never taken the engine out a fazer, but once rebuilt a Kawa 550. I laid it on two strips of 2x2 timber, made it a lot easier to move it about afterwards.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.