Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:47 pm

Author Topic: TPS....... again  (Read 3577 times)

gicut58

• CBT Wobbler
  • gicut58
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
    • gicut58
TPS....... again
« on: 09 August 2016, 11:41:41 am »
Anyone bought a TPS from Brooks Barn?   Any good?
Ex - FZS600 ‘03,  now Versys 650 '14
Status S2, GB Shuttle 6.0,TC Helicon, Cubase an' other stuff

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: TPS....... again
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2016, 12:24:22 pm »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

gicut58

• CBT Wobbler
  • gicut58
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
    • gicut58
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2016, 12:29:04 pm »
yep, that would be second port of call. Looking at BB as its slightly cheaper and uk based.

Yours has been ok since fitted?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2016, 01:17:24 pm »
yep, that would be second port of call. Looking at BB as its slightly cheaper and uk based.

Yours has been ok since fitted?

Yep, absolutely fine.
Are they new at BB?

gicut58

• CBT Wobbler
  • gicut58
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
    • gicut58
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2016, 01:50:33 pm »
fleabay says they are. In for a penny......

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2016, 02:32:50 pm »
fleabay says they are. In for a penny......

Interesting, I missed those ones, only one I found new over here was much more expensive.

Html33

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2016, 09:18:06 am »
Just bought one of these bikes, can i ask the symptoms of a faulty TPS?

gicut58

• CBT Wobbler
  • gicut58
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
    • gicut58
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2016, 10:05:25 am »
 The symptoms on my bike - bear in mind I’m a rider back after 35 years in a cage and fings ‘ave changed……
One of the first things I did after passing my test was I had the bike fully serviced inc. TPS reset, and the first disturbance in years obviously put it out of kilter. A few days after the service I started on a run to work and 10 minutes in the engine starts running very slightly rougher and the rev counter starts rotating between the revs I was doing, 5k and zero, changing every 10 seconds or so.
I carried on riding,(carefully watching and listening) bike still seemed to go ok, and as soon as poss got stuck in here to see what anyone else had experienced.
(go to top of thread…) fitted new TPS and adjusted, Bob’s your uncle – everything still good couple of hundred miles later, glad it was a relatively easy fix.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2016, 10:43:47 am »
The ones i had broke down gradually rather than just stopped working.
The bike just doesn't feel right, and can give off a mild jerky feeling especially at lower revs.
If you give the throttle a bit of welly you won't notice it so much, but in traffic it's very noticeable.
Having a clean air filter, a carb balance and a TPS in good nick in the correct position can improve the general running of the bike massively.
If you ever do feel that you have a dodgy TPS just buy a brand new one, don't bother with a used one, 'cos it'll likely be a minimum 13 years old and about to fail anyway.

Html33

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2016, 11:42:54 am »
The bike just doesn't feel right, and can give off a mild jerky feeling especially at lower revs.
If you give the throttle a bit of welly you won't notice it so much, but in traffic it's very noticeable.
Having a clean air filter, a carb balance and a TPS in good nick in the correct position can improve the general running of the bike massively.
If you ever do feel that you have a dodgy TPS just buy a brand new one, don't bother with a used one, 'cos it'll likely be a minimum 13 years old and about to fail anyway.

Not experienced anything like that which is nice.
Probably only done 70mile on the bike but at low RPM the bike is smooth, in 6th gear at 2.5.3k rpm i was doing around 25/30mph and the throttle response was brisk considering how low in the RPM i was.
I will post up shortly results of the carb tune and a before and after video!

But like i have already mentioned, i am very impressed already with the response of the throttle considering the cracked carb inlets (although obviously not completely spilt)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2016, 11:49:33 am »

Probably only done 70mile on the bike but at low RPM the bike is smooth, in 6th gear at 2.5.3k rpm i was doing around 25/30mph and the throttle response was brisk considering how low in the RPM i was.

But like i have already mentioned, i am very impressed already with the response of the throttle considering the cracked carb inlets (although obviously not completely spilt)

They can't be cracked all the way through otherwise it would be running like a tractor. Maybe worth filling the cracks with some silicone for now.
Dunno what you've got now, but a K&N air filter makes the throttle even more responsive.

Html33

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2016, 11:57:49 am »

They can't be cracked all the way through otherwise it would be running like a tractor. Maybe worth filling the cracks with some silicone for now.
Dunno what you've got now, but a K&N air filter makes the throttle even more responsive.

Nope, i agree. Can't be cracked other wise revs would be 'fluffy' and idle all over the place.
For now, i will probably go down the route of just covering them, i've got soem petrol / heat resistance silicone at home too!

Me neither, not a clue on what it has. I looked at prices for a K&N and tbh, it didn't justify the extra £30 odd so will probably replace for standard

This bike is a replacement for my ZX6R G1, so it's got nothing on acceleration or top end!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2016, 12:08:32 pm »

Nope, i agree. Can't be cracked other wise revs would be 'fluffy' and idle all over the place.
For now, i will probably go down the route of just covering them, i've got soem petrol / heat resistance silicone at home too!

Me neither, not a clue on what it has. I looked at prices for a K&N and tbh, it didn't justify the extra £30 odd so will probably replace for standard

This bike is a replacement for my ZX6R G1, so it's got nothing on acceleration or top end!

It'll be the last filter you ever buy for the bike, I clean mine in warm water with washing powder which has similar main ingredients to the K&N cleaning spray, the only thing you'll need to buy down the line will be the oil that you spray on them once cleaned, but that bottle lasts quite a few times so will last you years and thousands of miles.

Html33

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2016, 12:37:13 pm »

It'll be the last filter you ever buy for the bike, I clean mine in warm water with washing powder which has similar main ingredients to the K&N cleaning spray, the only thing you'll need to buy down the line will be the oil that you spray on them once cleaned, but that bottle lasts quite a few times so will last you years and thousands of miles.

Awesome, sounds good. will have to look into it.
I only intend to have the bike for another 6 months or so until the weather gets a lot better. Doesen't mean i will neglect it but i dont want to spend lots on it!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2016, 12:45:38 pm »

I only intend to have the bike for another 6 months or so until the weather gets a lot better. Doesen't mean i will neglect it but i dont want to spend lots on it!

You bought it for the bad weather?

Html33

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2016, 01:18:56 pm »

You bought it for the bad weather?

Pretty much. I just sold my ZX6R for good money and required a bit of work to be fully road worthy and have just spent the cash on a good to go bike.
Needs small minor work, and me being me would like everything perfectish.

Seems like a well planted bike, nice and upright and handles very well for little input