Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:54 pm

Author Topic: Parking ticket - some friendly advice required  (Read 6035 times)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Parking ticket - some friendly advice required
« Reply #25 on: 07 August 2016, 10:26:41 am »
Have read most of the replies to the thread.
I reckon if I were you just pay it.
1 The police may take action because you rode a motor bike on the pavement which as far as I am aware is in itself illegal.
2 What would your attitude be if that was a reserved motor cycle parking bay and a car had been parked in it, bet you would be pissed off.
Just my 2 pence worth.
1- how? Where's the evidence? It's right next to a drop kerb and could very easily be pushed into that position!

On a different note I don't understand the people saying don't fight the council, you won't win- they're not infallible, that's exactly why there is an adjudicator.

Also, putting it bluntly, it's only in london that you legally can't Park on the pavement, it's one of those 'must not' and 'should not' arguments against the highway code, local councils have their own PCN code for parking on the pavement but it isn't enforceable, possibly the warden knows this which is why they used the double yellow code, but being the paperwork dick I am I'd contradict my knowledge against my argument as I enjoy doing that-
feel free to actually research pavement parking! (they are in the process of trying to change it to nationwide but haven't done so yet!)
« Last Edit: 07 August 2016, 10:28:18 am by Punkstig »
Some say...

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 August 2016, 10:28:17 am »
Paul, have you been back to the location? You refer to it being a restricted street....in that case the signs would be at the start of the street or the entry to the zone if more than one street is covered by the restriction.
The broken lines are the result of the utility trench but I believe most recent adjudications are not supporting occasional breaks in the lines like these....to the average motorists these are clearly double yellow lines.
You may get lucky if you fight it but I wouldn't be optimistic.

D

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 August 2016, 04:13:54 pm »
the rules they have to adhere to are clear in law, yellows have to be unbroken and end in a "T" bar. ie the 2 yellows cannot just stop, they have to have a yellow line at 90 degrees across the ends of the 2 yellows. You'd pay Mr Loophole the lawyer thousands to tell you all this :lol but these are the type of things he wins on, just coz a trench has been dug and filled in doesn't negate the councils duty to repaint the yellows
fire never sleeps

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 August 2016, 05:13:24 pm »
Maddog,  your information is outdated.....see below

http://www.pepipoo.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t105978.html

D

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 August 2016, 11:03:07 pm »
1 The police may take action because you rode a motor bike on the pavement which as far as I am aware is in itself illegal.
2 What would your attitude be if that was a reserved motor cycle parking bay and a car had been parked in it, bet you would be pissed off.
Just my 2 pence worth.
1- how? Where's the evidence? It's right next to a drop kerb and could very easily be pushed into that position!

On a different note I don't understand the people saying don't fight the council, you won't win- they're not infallible, that's exactly why there is an adjudicator.

Also, putting it bluntly, it's only in london that you legally can't Park on the pavement, it's one of those 'must not' and 'should not' arguments against the highway code, local councils have their own PCN code for parking on the pavement but it isn't enforceable, possibly the warden knows this which is why they used the double yellow code, but being the paperwork dick I am I'd contradict my knowledge against my argument as I enjoy doing that-
feel free to actually research pavement parking! (they are in the process of trying to change it to nationwide but haven't done so yet!)

So the parking on the pavement only applies to London. Best you let them know that in Leeds then. ;)
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 August 2016, 07:29:32 am »
Just my 2 pence worth.

So the parking on the pavement only applies to London. Best you let them know that in Leeds then. ;)
If more people took it as far as the adjudicator instead of paying a pavent contravention ticket then everyone would know- Google is your friend sir!
Some say...

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 August 2016, 08:00:51 am »
Or perhaps if folk just parked up correctly one would not have to be always looking for a loop hole. :rolleyes
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 August 2016, 04:49:55 pm »
How is legally allowed to park on a pavement a loophole?
Some say...

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 August 2016, 05:33:35 pm »
My understanding is yellow lines apply to the adjacent pavement or verge as well as the roadway and you are clearly parked on the pavement!

Talk of T bars on the end of lines- The picture I'm seeing looks like the lines just turn the corner and carry on down the road (yes there is a 12" section missing from the very obvious earlier road works).

There is no signage, so I'd take it that motor vehicles are not permitted there anyway. If your argument is based on lack of signage, is it OK to drive into a shopping centre mall and park there because there are no signs stating you cannot? (mind you the automatic doors would make it difficult to get in :) )

Just thought, there is no sign saying its a parking area at all so you are on the pavement?

PaulFZ6S2

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 August 2016, 06:27:54 pm »
Haha what have I started!!

First of all I am not denying that I was techinically parked illegally. I havn't been riding long and I saw a bike rack with no cycle only signage and I stuck it there. This thread has helped me think a bit harder where I park next time!

However seeing as I'm a tight git, I'm trying to worm my way out of it based on break in the yellows and incorrect convention code applied.

As for the street being restricted - the road along the left of the photo is one way, doubles either side. The road joining on the right has yellows on the side im parked (obviously) and on the other side 30 minutes of free parking (I was parked a couple hours). The signs above just near where I was parked one is left turn only and the other is an restricted alcohol sign. I do believe I can get out of this one - but I am debating whether all the hard work and effort is actually worth it!!

Also thanks for everyones advice so far, agree or not where I parked I think we can all agree that we hate traffic wardens ;)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 August 2016, 09:27:55 pm »
if that was a reserved motor cycle parking bay and a car had been parked in it

That just reminded me of this I spotted in Cambridge earlier this year.

« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 07:49:37 pm by YamFazFan »