Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:41 pm

Author Topic: change of clocks  (Read 1334 times)

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
change of clocks
« on: 05 June 2016, 08:40:24 pm »
Hi, wondered if there are any electrical gurus who may be able to help me out . I'm looking to find out if the standard rev counter is  part of the engine management ? Just bought a 98 600 with an acewell digi speedo/rev counter. The bike was running rough so have stripped and cleaned the grubby carbs . I've read that there's a set up job with the TPS and the rev counter but have no rev counter so wondered if the throttle position and indicated revs work the advance and retard ?  If so, I'll pick up a cheap set of clocks and bung the rev counter under the seat but if there's a way to bypass or trick the system I'd rather do that.
I'm not even sure if there's a problem but it'd be another thing to look at if it's not a carb/inlet rubber or spark problem. Not had time to pop the carbs back on yet so just testing the water.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice .
Rust never sleeps !

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: change of clocks
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2016, 11:04:41 pm »
Why not just the key on, unplug the TPS, and see if it reads it on the new clock?
Unplugged (or knackered) will read 3000rpm.

If it reads it properly, plug it back in and it will go to either 0rpm, 5000rpm or 10,000rpm.
Adjusted correctly it needs to be on 5000rpm.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2016, 11:31:10 pm »
Hi, thanks for the suggestion but the rev counter is triggered from a single wire wrapped around a ht lead , I'm guessing there's no connection to the loom other than a 12v supply. I'm not too clued up on the bike's wiring as I've not had it long, got a manual on the way so may find out more after a look at the wiring diagram.
Rust never sleeps !

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2016, 06:15:06 am »
Hi, thanks for the suggestion but the rev counter is triggered from a single wire wrapped around a ht lead , I'm guessing there's no connection to the loom other than a 12v supply. I'm not too clued up on the bike's wiring as I've not had it long, got a manual on the way so may find out more after a look at the wiring diagram.

Oh, okay, that's a bit annoying.
I recently purchased my 3rd TPS, but bought a new one this time after the other 2 used ones failed on me.
Over time i got to know the feeling when it was not adjusted properly, the bike just didn't feel right, and although it's only a very tiny movement of the TPS unit that corrects it, it does make a noticeable difference.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2016, 10:34:27 am »
You can set the Tps using a multimeter. The rev counter on the 600 is controlled by the ignitor, sending a signal to it. Setting the Tps put the ignitor into diagnostic mode and the ignitor sends a different signal to the rev counter depending on the resistance within the Tps.
 I can check the values on my 600 later today or tomorrow and post the resistance required when the Tps is set properly and what pins to attach the multimeter to.

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2016, 10:55:52 am »
Sorry I'm late replying, hectic time at the mo, thanks for your replies. Would be right to thinking the rev counter is used just to calibrate the TPS ? I hoped it wasn't part of the ignition system. I'm also guessing the speedo reading doesn't influence the timing advance and retard either?
The carbs are clean and back on, it seems to be running better but not had chance to ride it as I've binned the old chain and sprockets . Won't have new ones until next week, local bike shop is shut as the owner is on the island this week (lucky bugger !)
Picked up a manual and spotted wires on the standard instruments that go to the ignitor so not sure what the set up is. Hope to have time this weekend to have a proper look and try and weigh up what works what. I hope I'm barking up the wrong tree and will check coils leads and plugs too now I've got the right plug socket.
Rust never sleeps !