Date: 02-06-24  Time: 14:47 pm

Author Topic: Starting after a few weeks  (Read 755 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Starting after a few weeks
« on: 04 June 2016, 10:43:09 am »
Is there any wisdom in pushing the bike in first after a period of a few weeks standing.And would this get the oil around.
I dont normally let it bother me but I have recently changed the oil - correct amount, let it run then checked - re adjusted to the perfect level, but over a few days of standing I have seen the oil level very slowly going up until after about 5 days it has filled the glass. Which tells me the oil has completely run off the internal parts
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Starting after a few weeks
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2016, 10:51:33 am »
Oil will slowly drain off but surface tension will retain it where there is metal to metal contact i.e bearings and piston rings. The cams have small reservoirs of oil underneath which they dip into. So no, don't worry just ride it.:)
But if you do want to push it, it'll be easier in 6th.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Starting after a few weeks
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2016, 11:00:02 am »
Oil will slowly drain off but surface tension will retain it where there is metal to metal contact i.e bearings and piston rings. The cams have small reservoirs of oil underneath which they dip into. So no, don't worry just ride it.:)
But if you do want to push it, it'll be easier in 6th.
Thanks for the reassurance and a good tip about pushing it in 6th, I have heard about the cam chain trick to try and get it onto the next notch but no one has ever mentioned 6th gear to push it 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.