Date: 01-06-24  Time: 16:52 pm

Author Topic: bike alarm/immobiliser recomendations  (Read 1476 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
bike alarm/immobiliser recomendations
« on: 10 May 2016, 08:48:11 pm »
My wife's biking friend, the one I tried to set up with you Focers last year is after an alarm  for her Honda Varadaro 125.

Does anyone have any recomendations (other than don't fit one)?

Cheers in advance
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: bike alarm/immobiliser recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2016, 09:44:34 pm »
I've always found these the best compromise, and don't go wrong. Bloody loud too.
http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3631.htm

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2016, 09:54:04 pm »
All depends on how much she wants to spend.

The best model out there is without doubt the Meta 357T-V2 which is a full cat 1 alarm, but you would want to ensure it is fitted correctly.

It can be expensive to buy and fit and you will get a discount from some insurance companies when it is fitted

The NCS V2 appears to be a reasonably good cheap and cheerful alarm for small Japanese 4 stoke bikes.

Other options are to use alarm locks, but not every ones cup of tea

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2016, 09:36:12 am »
Cheers guys  :thumbup  I'll pass that info on.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2016, 01:21:25 pm »
Alarms cost a lot more than any insurance discount you will get over the 3-5 years people typically keep bikes.
They don't add anything to the resale value either.

IIRC, the Varadeo has the Honda HISS immobiliser fitted so they are difficult to steal unless you just stuff them in a van. An alarm wont prevent that. Tell them to get a bloody heavy chain and padlock instead. They can transfer that to their next bike too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2016, 01:30:42 pm »
Alarms cost a lot more than any insurance discount you will get over the 3-5 years people typically keep bikes.
They don't add anything to the resale value either.

IIRC, the Varadeo has the Honda HISS immobiliser fitted so they are difficult to steal unless you just stuff them in a van. An alarm wont prevent that. Tell them to get a bloody heavy chain and padlock instead. They can transfer that to their next bike too.

+1

Alarm is only good so that kids don't climb the bike and get burnt on hot exhaust pipes. I started turning on the alarm that was on my bike after a neighbour's kid got burnt.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2016, 11:36:45 am »
Don't have one on the Fazer, had Datatool in the past, but have been stranded when they wouldn't disarm, due to interference from other electrical sources, and Alex had his first R6 nicked in full view of everyone at Lakeside with the alarm screaming, slung into van and never seen again, so basically don't bother, same with disc lock.
[/color][/size]Just be careful where you leave it[/font] 8)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2016, 01:13:09 pm »
Yep, I agree, an alarm/immobiliser alone isn't going to help much and certainly won't save you much in long run. However, it's worth considering as an extra thing to help thwart a tea leaf. Anything that makes things a tiny bit more hassle for them, costs them more time and so on, all helps. It might be enough to see them disturbed or favour another bike instead.

My Fazer came with the Meta 357T-V2 alarm already fitted, it didn't swing the sale, but was a welcome addition. The internally battery died when it hit 10 years old, but I replaced the control box for £120 (half hour job). Otherwise it's been fine. Had no hassles with thieves (touch wood), but I do always use a big 16mm chain too. Also, the bikes getting on a bit now and is usually parked next to something more desirable with less security!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2016, 05:03:28 pm »
I have always had them and fitted quite a number of them, but would never use one without a disk lock or chain unless I was just going to a shop for a paper or something.

Over the years I have found as I said previously that the META 357T V2 is best I have come across, Datatool ones were just too finicky.

Dead easy to by pass any of them when you can get at them. 

The new keycoded ignition are a good deterrent coupled with an alarm, but nothing will stop determined thieves.
You can only slow them down or get them to move on to the many unlock unalarmed ones around and let your alarmed locked one alone.