Date: 16-06-24  Time: 04:02 am

Author Topic: Error code 52  (Read 4007 times)

cambridge

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Error code 52
« on: 07 April 2016, 08:39:51 pm »
Evening. I've just upgraded from a 125 to an early 2007 Fazer FZ6, thoroughly enjoying it!

I went to start it last night on the commute home, however, and it wouldn't start. The ignition went on ok but I couldn't hear the fuel system pressurise. The engine turned fine but wouldn't fire. The immobiliser light was flashing slowly, and error code 52 was displayed.

I managed to get it going by setting off the alarm (Meta - used the key fob to set it off), then setting and un-setting the alarm. Next time I tried the ignition everything came on ok and it fired up.

Hopefully just a blip with the alarm not un-setting properly, but what does code 52 mean?

Thanks

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Error code 52
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2016, 12:48:37 pm »
According to the Haynes Manual it's "Code from key not recognised by immobiliser transceiver".

Presuming you haven't got both keys on the same ring (which could cause interference), try using the other one to see if there's a problem with the one you're using.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2016, 12:49:27 pm by Grahamm »

cambridge

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2016, 06:36:02 pm »
Hi Graham

Thanks for reply. I only keep one key on each set. Same thing happened this morning, but couldn't get it started even after trying both black keys and the red one.

Is it possible to replace the aerial in the ignition barrel, or is a whole new lock set needed?

Shadrack

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2016, 09:54:23 pm »
It might be worth checking ignition switch and transceiver connections, you will need to lift front of tank and can see connectors down there ( follow leads from switch). I've been having problems with speedo etc and mostly found dirty damp connectors causing intermittent faults. have you got red key to reprogram key codes

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2016, 11:37:35 pm »
I'd agree with Shadrack, get some WD40 contact cleaner and give all the connections a good cleaning.

BTW (if you don't know this trick, it's a good one): Rather than having to take out the inner fairings to lift the tank, take the seat off, undo and remove the bolt at the back of the tank, then undo the bolts on the front tank brackets.

Slide the tank back until you can lift the brackets past the inner fairings, then push it back forward and slide the rear bolt back in so you can raise the tank.

Once you've finished working, reverse the process. It saves a lot of fiddling to get the inner fairings out of the way :thumbup

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2016, 08:20:22 am »
Thanks for the heads up on lifting tank Grahamm.. Not one of Yamahas best designs on practical fairing infils.. Doesnt the later 07 FZ6 have a seperate smaller end piece in that very same infil to alleviate this issue?
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

cambridge

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2016, 09:37:39 pm »
Hi - thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go. Useful trick to know about lifting the tank too.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2016, 10:57:53 pm »
Doesnt the later 07 FZ6 have a seperate smaller end piece in that very same infil to alleviate this issue?

I don't know, I have the 04-06 model.

cambridge

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2016, 08:53:50 pm »
As a quick follow up to this, what's the diagnosis system that Yamaha use on these bikes? I'm familiar with the OBD2 system on many cars, is there anything that I can plug into from home?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2016, 10:43:56 pm »
You can access the onboard diagnostics from the instrument panel, but you need to lift the tank and disconnect the fuel pump wiring connector and then press various buttons.

The best thing to do would be to get the Haynes manual which explains the whole process.