Date: 01-06-24  Time: 22:02 pm

Author Topic: not so bad  (Read 1111 times)

lincs1963

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
not so bad
« on: 27 March 2016, 07:19:24 pm »
Since last autumn I have been getting the exup error code, in october I started to strip the exup to sort it out. The first bolt twisted off like it was made of chewing gum, so I did the obvious and put the cover back on with the intention of looking at it later. Today was later.
I really don't know what I was worried about, the whole job took about two and a half hours, including a break for eating my sunday dinner.
I just twisted off the remaining two bolt heads, centre punched them and drilled them out. Re tapped the holes with an M6 tap and used stainless bolts with lots of copaslip.
The valve itself was stuck solid and would not turn at all, left it to soak in my own recipe of freeing oil while I drilled and tapped the holes, half an hour later and it was free.
Lots of copaslip on reassembly and the job was done.
Broke one drill bit so not bad, the bolts were very soft.
So a job I had not been looking forward to turned out to be pretty straightforward,  worst thing was laying on the garage floor for the best part of two hours.
Thanks to everyone who has ever put a post on here about servicing the exup, I reckon I've read them all over the last couple of days.
Cheers, Neil.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: not so bad
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2016, 09:16:19 pm »
Good work! Glad to hear it wasn't to drastic.

I bottled the drilling as I had a second set that had all three bolt heads snapped and took it to the the dealer. It just looked like a much bigger problem waiting to happen if I attempted it myself. Still, it was just as well I did because the rear bracket had a crack and it needed welding.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2016, 09:57:23 pm »
could you not lie the bike on its side ? , to make it easier to acess
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

lincs1963

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2016, 09:12:19 am »
Its an option, but unfortunately in my garage given the space I have it would mean either hanging from the ceiling to work or standing on the petrol tank :b.
I did put a nice piece of carpet down to lay on, the downside was I managed to put my hair into the big pot of copaslip, that took some getting out.