Date: 15-06-24  Time: 18:08 pm

Author Topic: Exup valve queary  (Read 1442 times)

dudejb46

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 883r
    • View Profile
Exup valve queary
« on: 14 February 2016, 10:11:21 pm »
Good eveing fine ladies and gentlemen,

Done a wee search and found lots on the not so hassle free exup valve hoever i could quite find the answer i was looking for!

I have just bought a well serviced fazer 1000 gen one on 37k, runs beautfully pulls as she should. On the 300 mile run home at the one and only fuel stop (impressed) she flicked up the 7k exup error inditcation. Knowing the bike had stood for a month or two, when I got home I decided to service the valve and see where the fault lay. I was blessed with all the bolts comeing away freely they had clearing be serviced regulary in the past. Valve was slightly sticky and cables where slack as you know what. Greased it all up and bunged it back together going by the tutroial I found on here.

Now, ever since she has a rattle at around 2-5k fromt he exup as soon as i power on it goes.

I have read a few probably causes....

1. Cables to slack?
2. Worn bush / bushes?

I will check cables again tomorrow as its only really started since i stripped it...

My main question is, if as i suspect the bushes are worn... regardless of cost, should I buy OEM bushes or shall I get two made up by a local engineering shop?

I'm not trying to save a few quid, I was worried if I shell out for oem bushes, do the VALVE'S themself wear? Could OEM bushses still be slack?

Has any got any expeirience?

Or

The thickness of the valves as new perhaps?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Exup valve queary
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2016, 08:11:44 am »
Hi.  If the valve was slightly sticky, it's unlikely that the bushes are badly worn.  Likewise, it didn't rattle before you took it apart, I assume?

So, are you sure the bush on the far end of the valve - as fitted - didn't drop off the spindle when you reinstalled it?  Also, did you refit the end float spring behind the pulley.

Basically, take it all apart again and check the fit of the bushes and visually inspect the spindle for wear.  It's hardened part but they can wear if not regularly serviced.  From the description you gave of your bike, though, it sounds like it's had the EXUP cared for properly.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2016, 08:02:13 pm »
The valves do wear, when I bought my fazer the valve was seriously warn, with new bushes you could see daylight through it!!

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2016, 10:02:19 pm »
I bought an 04 gen1 with 7000 miles on, and the valve was really stuck, I mean really stuck, I got it out and went to my mates workshop to heat it and we got it glowing and it wouldn't move. I bought a second hand valve and fitted that and that one rattles but I just run it like that, with ear plugs I cant hear it and it aint gonna stick.
The original is still soaking in diesel,6 months now and counting cos its still stuck in the housing..

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2016, 11:20:02 am »
Given that the cables were slack and it didn't rattle before you 'fixed' it, i dont think you have a problem with the valve itself. I would suggest that you tighten up the cable that opens it until the valve is just not quite closed. If that doesn't clear it, take it apart again and put it back together making sure the spring is correctly positioned.

dudejb46

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 883r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2016, 11:30:30 am »
Thank you for all you're replies, I've checked and re checked around 3 times and I am 100 sure it's all in order, I've measured each end of the valve and both have very big imperfections at each end to a extent it that the imperfections can't be machined out and still leave enough material,  I've been on fowlers and see that the new valve is 350 odd,

Is there ANY other option for new?

Or

Will any other modes fit so I can broaden my second hand search

Thank you