Date: 15-06-24  Time: 23:49 pm

Author Topic: On deterriorating battery performance....  (Read 1332 times)

chriswarren

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
On deterriorating battery performance....
« on: 29 February 2012, 04:31:32 pm »
Just wanted to post a thread (partly to keep current on the site!) that might help others with poor battery performance.

Having gone through about 5 batteries since the OEM one died after 5 years, I've found a two-pronged solution. Haven't tested which one is the relevant one, but since:

- installing a Motobatt battery
- taking out the in-line fuse to my Oxford grips except when it's really cold

...my battery has performed flawlessly all winter.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: On deterriorating battery performance....
« Reply #1 on: 29 February 2012, 06:53:19 pm »
I found that a year or two ago. the oxford grips seemed to drain the battery even when not turned on. so remove the fuse when not in use now.
I never could find a drain with a multi meter on the grips but removing the fuse did seem to stop the drain.
I still have issues with batterys but this did help a lot.

if i fitted them again i would take the extra time and fit to a switched live, this "should" solve the problem to.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 February 2012, 09:54:46 pm »
Or hook it up to an Optimate each night

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2012, 03:42:58 pm »
- taking out the in-line fuse to my Oxford grips except when it's really cold

I found that a year or two ago. the oxford grips seemed to drain the battery even when not turned on. if i fitted them again i would take the extra time and fit to a switched live, this "should" solve the problem to.

Why am I not surprised the the 'new' oxford controller is doing this (they have always been shit)  - there are 2 solutions to this..

1. wire them to any brown wire on the loom and the nearest on to the battery is under the left hand side cover (this is a switched live)
2. do it properly and wire them via a relay - use the same brown wire above to activate the relay and then the switched circuit between the grips and the battery etc.

And on a different note I also suggest changing the controller for one of the old skewl push switch rotoary dial type that you can get from J@S accessories - its the same connector and was the type oxford used to use before they got stupid and started going digital.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2012, 01:31:59 pm by b1k3rdude »

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2012, 04:18:48 pm »
i have heard loads of storys about the digi controlers playing up the net is swamped with them and had many on this site with issues to.
odd thing is i must have got a good one as my controler has worked without a hitch for allmost 4 years now and apart from me replacing 1 grip (i cut through it with a knife one day) they have worked fine.
power drain asside that is as i never actualy managed to prove that was the drain.... it just stoped when i removed the fuse lol