Date: 16-06-24  Time: 14:02 pm

Author Topic: gearbox  (Read 1301 times)

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
gearbox
« on: 28 February 2012, 07:14:24 pm »
my bikes suffered a clunky gearbox since i bought it 6000 miles ago with 13k on the clock. It glunked in first to second and strangely second to third  :'(

The gear rearset was setup correctly with the dot inline with the gap, since then ive moved it further down so the dots not inline strangely the gearbox seems to clunk less? :rolleyes

When i bought it to me it looked slightly bent (could this cause it?)

thankfully it doesnt suffer with the dreaded jumping out of second

Should i be concerned? i dont have much confidence with it atm and its even causing me to think about selling it incase it does go majorly wrong

raycobb

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Kawasaki ZX636 Ninja 2005
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2012, 12:24:02 am »
do you have trouble shifting through neutral at all? ah low or high revs maybe? if so, could have a bent selector fork. that's an engine out jobby, but not as bad as you may think. Probs cost bout £40 and some gaskets (instant gasket sealant £5).

When did you last change the oil, and what type did you use? Adjust the clutch at the lever and at the clutch behindthe rubber bung? adjust idle speed to advised rpm when warm. Rear Chain tension can also have backlash because of the slack. Other than that, fazers do seem to have clunky gearboxes. Mine has been clunky and ive done 35,000 miles on mine so far. Just wear and tear causes tolerances to change and worn parts dont mate exactly anymore, making noises that dont always sound too good. I have a whine in 3rd gear on my fazer and zx6r. Nothing wrong with it, just the way the gear teeth mate with one another.

Hope this helps. Maybe you could video the clunk and put it on youtube and post the link? if the clunk isnt too violent when riding, id put it down to just the fazer gearbox normal.
Fingers crossed

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2012, 03:24:05 pm »
most fazers are a bit clunky. neutral to first usually gets pedestrians diving for cover.

thom_1991

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2012, 04:58:17 pm »
Don't know about your's but my gear selector arm and the linkages have a load of slack in which won't help. If i wasn't putting rearsets on soon i'd be using some washers to try and take the slop out of it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2012, 11:16:57 pm »
Does this only happen when the bike is cold / just started? Found mine is incredibly clunky from Netural to 1st and 1st to 2nd after ive just started - however someone mentioned previously that by pumping the clutch before you set off can help and it works wonders for me. Significantly reduced clunking these days but still easy enough to tell its a Fazer ;)