Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:09 am

Author Topic: Cornwall  (Read 5904 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Cornwall
« on: 01 October 2015, 12:08:42 am »
So, did the "What Did You Do With Your Fazer" bit, but for anyone who loves the place, here's some more piccies taken on my recent trip.

Stayed at this B&B at Golberdon, just north of Callington on the A388. Off the main road, you go along a couple of typical, tiny little Cornish lanes to get to it, and it's very peaceful there. They welcome bikers, the husband and son ride themselves:

Peering over the cliff edge at Rame Head:

St. Germanus church, just inland of Rame Head.

[size=78%][/size]

Looe:

Love all the old cottages in these seaside towns, and the little alleyways that wind their way between the 'main' streets:

[size=78%][/size]

Brace for impact!  :lol  :

Now if I had some decent photo software, i think I could do something with this pic; I like the dark sky and rocks contrasting with the light sand and sparkling waves:

Charlestown coast:

And the ships:[size=78%]

[/size][size=78%][/size]From the coast path at Land's End:[size=78%]

When you walk the coast path, you come across many relics from the tin mining industry, some quite spooky with a truly haunted feel, especially as at many of these sites there'll be no one around but you and the wind. Not quite the same atmosphere when you're next to a road, even one like the coast road near St. Just. But tried to capture something of it here:

And if you turn around to face inland from the same spot, the hill rises to this rocky tor:

Couple more taken at St. Mawes castle:

Guns, guns and more guns! :

Lizard Point tries to get in on the Land's End act:

Some of my better shots of Polperro:

A couple that I sketched way back on my coast path walk in '98:

And I'll let the coast path have the final word - it really is one of the most stunning parts of Britain in my opinion:

A great trip, brought back loads of wonderful memories. I may be heading north soon, but Cornwall will always have a place in my heart  :)
[/size]
« Last Edit: 07 October 2015, 02:06:10 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2015, 12:43:44 am »
Some nice pics there, I love Cornwall and Devon.
My wife and I have had a week down there every year since we got married, first with the kids, then by ourselves, now with the grandkids.
I don`t bother going abroad anymore too much hassle, wife still goes with her mates but she admits that if money was tight the foreign holiday would go as the Cornwall/Devon holiday is the one she finds most relaxing and enjoyable.
Would love to retire down there but the price of decent sized houses is out of my budget :\ [size=78%] [/size]

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2015, 01:03:02 am »
Some nice pics there, I love Cornwall and Devon.
My wife and I have had a week down there every year since we got married, first with the kids, then by ourselves, now with the grandkids.
I don`t bother going abroad anymore too much hassle, wife still goes with her mates but she admits that if money was tight the foreign holiday would go as the Cornwall/Devon holiday is the one she finds most relaxing and enjoyable.
Would love to retire down there but the price of decent sized houses is out of my budget :\

I hadn't realised how much the place had got under my skin until I went back this time. There is something very special about it that you just don't find elsewhere - hard to put your finger on it, as many places have nice seaside scenery and such, but there's just some indefinable something about Cornwall. Maybe it is just because of the associations I have with the places.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2015, 07:08:33 am »
I love Cornwall  :)

In your second picture of Polperro there is a grey building in the foreground, black porch with one window above.  That's Pierinn and we spent our honeymoon there and exactly 12 years ago this week we were there  :)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2015, 07:01:22 pm »
Some great pics , I have lots of good memories from childhood holidays in St Ives and Porthmere Beach, and holidays with my wife and kids when they were younger we used visit Porthcurno Beach and the Minack theatre is worth visiting .

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2015, 07:56:10 pm »
@ Hedgetrimmer....you were following my footsteps... I travelled from Yorkshire coast the weekend before you to bring back some childhood memories (I try to do it at least once a year). I stayed near Padstow (camping) and in the few days I was there I visited Rock, Polzeath, Newquay, St Ives, Sennen, Lands End, St Michaels Mount, Looe and Fowey. Never fail to enjoy a trip to Cornwall. 8 hours back in the saddle but would go again tomorrow.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2015, 06:06:46 pm »
The wife and I spent a week in st ives in august. Your right about Cornwall nick there's something about the place. Perhaps its the holidays we had as kids. My mum was evacuated to looe during the war and loved the place so we went on holiday there quite often.  :lol.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2015, 09:32:55 pm »
I moved to Cornwall back in 2008 & looking at these pictures I need to get out and explore it more!! as I'm only there weekends I can see it taking some time but thanks for the heads up about the church yard where there are graves from battle of Trafalgar.. that is defo on my hit list
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2015, 09:34:05 am »
F*ck the sight seeing, what are the roads like? :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2015, 02:04:18 pm »
I moved to Cornwall back in 2008 & looking at these pictures I need to get out and explore it more!! as I'm only there weekends I can see it taking some time but thanks for the heads up about the church yard where there are graves from battle of Trafalgar.. that is defo on my hit list

Hmmm, been looking into this some more, and it seems I am  mistaken about the graves. I'll make no excuses for my mistake, just seems I got a bit confused (a common enough occurrence lately  :rolleyes ) with a couple of things my mum told me about. I've been Googling Rame Head and St. Germanus Church (not to be confused with the chapel itself out on the headland). Looking through Mum's photo albums, I have found several photos of such tombstones, but alas, they are located in Gibraltar! So, either Mum got muddled up when telling me about it, or (more likely) I have since got it mixed up myself, so thought I'd better get it in here before anyone goes dashing off to look for what isn't there - sorry!

Will amend my original post too.

Rame Head still well worth the visit if you haven't before - I'd especially recommend at sunset. You get a handful of people there, but it seems most tourists don't know about it.

http://www.britainexpress.com/counties/cornwall/churches/rame-chapel.htm

http://www.chct.info/histories/rame-st-germanus/

As to good roads, there were a few I enjoyed, but I don't really consider Cornwall as the best riding destination; that is, I wouldn't head there purely for riding the roads. It certainly can't compete with Wales in that regard, but then, few places in the UK can.

The A30 route from Land's End to Penzance was a good stretch.
The road down from the A390 to St. Mawes is good.
From the A390 at East Taphouse, take the turn off for Looe - that was a fun bit.
The A390 itself has a couple of nice bits here and there, as does the A388 from Launceston to Callington.
I also enjoyed some of the smaller roads. From Hessenford to Seaton through the woods was enjoyable, but not a fast road.
The road that goes down to Lizard Point, past RNAS Culdrose, had some good bits.
I also enjoyed the coast road from St. Ives to Land's End, but is very narrow in places, often bumpy, single track for most of it's length. Had to stop to allow a confrontation between a coach and cars coming upon each other with little room to manoeuvre to sort itself at one point. The road is quite open though, in the sense that you are between moorland and the sea, with some good views, and it winds up and down and around - keeps you focussed despite the slow speed you need to take most of it with.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2015, 04:30:34 pm »
 :agree
my normal blast if I can get time is from Redruth down the A30 thru Penzance then down to lands end
with the bonus if you arrive there after 4:30pm on a bike its free!!! :)
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Tangoman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki ZX400C2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2015, 07:14:19 pm »
Born and Breed Cornish, and still haven't seen half of it, looking like I need to head east and look at some of the places Hedgetrimmer has shown us.

Anyone coming down to Kernow needs to ride the A39 fom just outside Newquay up to Bude, well worth it, I you have the time carry on all the way to Minehead in Somerset

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2015, 10:50:18 am »
Not a biking destination - bugger I'll have to take the mrs in the car now :( :lol

Cornwall is quiet high on our visit list now. Been too many years since I last went (Polperro) , must be 35 years ago  :eek

Dying to see Doc Martin country :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2015, 09:33:16 pm »
Had a short break in Cornwall last week. Stayed at Fraddon, about 10 miles south of Newquay.
Travelled down on Weds and returned on Sunday. Had  the 3 full days + the Weds evening and Sun morning there. Managed to visit Newquay, St Michael's Mount, Mousehole (via Penzance & Newlyn), Porthcurno (The Minack theatre), Land's End, Bodelva (Eden project), Padstow, Polzeath, Port Quinn, Falmouth (Pendennis Castle & The National Maritime Museum), Lizard Point, Kynance cove, Mullion cove and back to Padstow Sunday morning to stock-up on seafood :) .
« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 07:38:15 pm by YamFazFan »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 October 2015, 10:29:20 pm »

Now if I had some decent photo software, i think I could do something with this pic; I like the dark sky and rocks contrasting with the light sand and sparkling waves:

I know exactly what you mean! let me have a go

sorry, bored... :)
Intentionally left blank

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2016, 08:24:08 pm »
 I've made three visits to the west country so far this year and managed to get over to the islands this time.

The following pics are:

Lundy island.

The Scilly Isles (the harbour at St Mary's).

Beached whale at Perranporth.

Dawn at Penzance.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 07:41:18 pm by YamFazFan »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2016, 08:36:16 pm »
Wow, awesome pic's mate!  :eek
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 August 2016, 09:28:28 pm »
Cheers Bretty.

I heard about the whale on the local breakfast news. It had got stranded on the Sunday and I got down there Monday morning. it was a 2 mile walk each-way to get to it (right at the end of Perranporth beach at Penhale) and I got me wellies full of water taking the pics, but it was worth it to get up close like that. Shame it was dead though :(

I'd definitely recommend a visit to Lundy or The Scilly's to anyone thinking about it. You can catch the day trip boat to Lundy from Ilfracombe or Bideford and the Scilly boat from Penzance. Lundy was £36 return, Scilly just under £40 return.