Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:14 pm

Author Topic: Rear wheel bearing (roller)  (Read 4925 times)

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
Rear wheel bearing (roller)
« on: 22 February 2012, 11:45:22 am »
As a result of "only wanting to paint my cam cover" I am now in the process of stripping my wheels to be blasted & powder coated. Fine, done a few before but the rear wheel arrangement is new to me. I am guessing I will need to cut/destroy the left hand rear needle bearing assembly in order to remove it so was wondering if anyone can recommend a supplier & rough price for a replacement?
 Found these. Quite a difference in price.

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_1000_fazer/01-03/picture/rear_wheel_bearing_kit_with_dust_seals_by_all_balls_usa/

http://shop.marksman-ind.com/ya001-rear-wheel-bearing-kit-fazer-fzs-1000-01-05-yzf-r1-98-01-yzf-r699-02-20-p.asp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Hand-Rear-Wheel-Bearing-Yamaha-FZS1000-Fazer-02-04-/190490741409?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c5a220aa1

I have a local bearing supplier near me but don't rate the chances of them having this this one.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2012, 12:03:21 pm by GrahamB »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Rear wheel bearing (roller)
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2012, 03:44:35 pm »
Marc at Marksman did a lot of work for us finding out which seals and bearings were needed for the Gen 1 suspension kits he supplies.  I've dealt with him many times and his service is excellent.  I have his Koyo bearing kits in my Fazer and R1 rear wheels. :)

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2012, 04:03:25 pm »
Graham,

Those kits are not identical.

The ebay one is needle bearing and shaft only
The Marksman is
Needle Bearing, Sealed Ball Bearing, & Brake side Oil Seal
The WeMoto 2 ball bearings, 1 needle bearing, 1 shaft and 2 seals

That could be the difference in price.

I'd vouch for WeMoto's stuff, so if you do need everything then I'd go with them.  If you only need
Needle Bearing, Sealed Ball Bearing, & Brake side Oil Seal go with Marksman (and it comes with a Falcon recommendation).  The Ebay one seems to offer the least for nearly the most money.

I'll admit I don't know what parts are needed or the actual quality of any of the parts listed or anything about the job really, so probably best ignoring me (as always!)

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2012, 04:26:41 pm »
Cheers both, I had noticed there were differences with them all but the ebay seller is suggesting that the sleeve should be replaced along with the bearing. I see where they are coming from but can't believe everyone replaces both. Suppose I should inspect mine for obvious wear before deciding. Leaning towards the Marksman kit as long as my sleeve looks okay.
 Wheels are at powder coaters now. Bearing was ground out with a stone bit in a die grinder at mates unit. I'm going for gold but not in the sense that you might be thinking. I mean gold wheels!  :rollin Got to wait a whole week for them now.  :( Tyres next.. .   
« Last Edit: 22 February 2012, 04:29:05 pm by GrahamB »

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2012, 04:36:27 pm »
Marc at Marksman did a lot of work for us finding out which seals and bearings were needed for the Gen 1 suspension kits he supplies.  I've dealt with him many times and his service is excellent.  I have his Koyo bearing kits in my Fazer and R1 rear wheels. :)

See here
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,13.0.html
The Ivanator comes up trumps :lol

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2012, 08:02:48 pm »
Snap !! i,ve  also taken my wheels in (last saturday) to be powdercoated gold ordered front & rear bearing sets from marksman . The old girls having a treat gold wheels & fairing lowers in the paintshop (advantages of having a son working in a bodyshop ) but he,s trying to persuade me into changing the bike colour from blue to pearl grey

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2012, 09:08:47 pm »
another + 1 for marksman
used him a few times now and allways had good service and good prices