Date: 16-06-24  Time: 01:26 am

Author Topic: Soft luggage  (Read 2463 times)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Soft luggage
« on: 20 February 2012, 07:46:01 pm »
Anyone had any experience, good, bad or indifferent with soft luggage? Thinking of throwover panniers for the odd weekend away or WSB/BSB camping over.

Don't really want to go to the trouble of fitting hard luggage for very occasional use.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Soft luggage
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2012, 09:30:40 pm »
Used them both on my 600 and my 1000, brilliant :) can make it a little uncomfortable for pillion with the straps accross the seat, and annoying to have to take them off the bike every time you stop (might be too annoying for a wsb/bsb meet)
these are the cheap oxford ones by the way

Or don't bother with them and get a top box :)

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2012, 12:43:02 am »
put the straps under the seat 8)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2012, 05:39:33 am »
Having used both soft & hard luggage on various bikes, there are advantages/disadvantages with both systems. When I toured Ireland for a week with my partner a few years back we had a 46Litre Givi top box for her stuff & a Givi "double-decker" tank bag for mine. Lessons learned the hard way: The top box keeps stuff drier-the waterproof cover for the tank bag would draw in air & "inflate" as you travelled along-bit like an unwanted airbag! .We both learnt to travel light. First time I ever did a decent trip I took everything I thought I might ever need-the reality is very little is essential but how you pack it all can make the world of difference to your enjoyment of the journey. Top boxes have a warning in the instructions about how much weight they are designed to carry-also too much weight high up & @ the back lightens the front end.
Soft luggage is great unless you have underseat exhaust as on FZ6 Fazer-things can get a bit warm!. Also you need to be absolutely sure that the mountings are tight. Security can be an issue with soft luggage. I guess it all depends on whether you go solo/with pillion but one thing is certain we are spoilt for choice these days! I have a Givi rack & top box-without the box you have a useful carrier platform-also a Hein Gericke expanding bag that can be used as a tank bag or strapped to pillion seat. Also the "double-decker" Givi tank bag can be used singly(has map pocket) or zipped together for extra storage.-base is magnetic & has extra strap for securing to headstock.
Security of mounting/locking is vital. I was travelling up the M5 in Somerset in works van a few years ago and encountered a "Kamikazi" motorcyclist trying to pick up the contents of his top box that had spread themselves over the 3 northbound lanes. So----even if the lid is shut---make sure its locked in place! One of my pals lost a huge chain & padlock out of his box this way!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2012, 06:41:50 am »
the oxford life time ones are very good. if i was going for a set it would be those.
The aldi tank bag is pretty good by all accounts but i havent actualy used that so dont know myself.

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2012, 08:36:43 am »
 8)   Check out the CARGO range before you buy ..  :)

I used the Oxford kit for many years and thousands of miles .. it is good.

However .. the bags are all a strange shape and that seems to lose some space, in my opinion.

The Cargo kit is more 'square case' and it holds a fair bit more without being any larger on the bike.

Lifetime guarantee, really well made, easy on easy off, much better than the big fat ugly hard stuff!

As always ... each to their own.

Stay Safe  ;)   Polar Bear.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2012, 09:50:43 am »
Good advice guys, cheers!

I'll have a look at the Oxford and Cargo range and find a dealer to try them for fit first as well. I did a couple of long weekends in France and Germany with a rucksack and its something I'm not keen to repeat!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2012, 10:41:31 am »
Perfect combination for me is:

Topbox hard (rear) - keeps stuff locked and 100% dry. Good for bulky but light things.

Soft side panniers (rear) - good for stuff that doesn't have to be locked while you take a leak. Moderately heavy/bulky stuff.

Soft tank top box - good for heavy stuff, doesn't affect balance. Can easily be dismounted and carried along at every stop, so OK for wallet, phone, passport etc, but you need to remember to carry it.

Last spring I travelled the North of Italy and at most stops I carried topbox and helmet with me when I had to leave bike.

Soft luggage is cheaper and harder to destroy. It can get torn, but you can saw/tape it. Hard boxes are almost useless if racks or boxes themselves get damaged.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2012, 12:58:34 pm »
Toured on my FZS with Oxford throwovers which I strapped under the seat for a bit more secuity- only get them off by taking the seat off.

I have ridden with soft luggage on myFZ6S and no problem with the underseat exhaust

maybe one day I will invest in a top box but I would need it so infrequentlky I would probably only fit it as a last resort
59 going on 57

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2012, 05:52:53 pm »
Toured on my FZS with Oxford throwovers which I strapped under the seat for a bit more secuity- only get them off by taking the seat off.

I have ridden with soft luggage on myFZ6S and no problem with the underseat exhaust

maybe one day I will invest in a top box but I would need it so infrequentlky I would probably only fit it as a last resort

Also, mount under the seat.

However, I can't imagine a bike without a top box. Whenever I stop at work, or anywhere else, I like to keep my helmet, rain suit and jacket locked in it.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.